The R.I.P. Thread

The original Den of Iniquity
FuB
Legend

6 months ago

Noel Engel, better known as Scott Walker... RIP

Not sure how many of you lot have or have had any interest in his music but it all definitely means a lot to me.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

FuB wrote:
6 months ago

Not sure how many of you lot have or have had any interest in his music but it all definitely means a lot to me.
I've started to listen to his stuff. First 3 records and the one he did with Sunn. Class. Real pioneer.

Is there anything I should listen to?
FuB
Legend

6 months ago

Sid wrote:
6 months ago
FuB wrote:
6 months ago

I've started to listen to his stuff. First 3 records and the one he did with Sunn. Class. Real pioneer.

Do you mean the 60s baroque pop when you say first 3?
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

FuB wrote:
6 months ago
Sid wrote:
6 months ago
FuB wrote:
6 months ago

Yeah the early pop stuff, Mathilde and that. And then he gradually gets more obscure as you go through his career. I've only scratched the surface really, so what would you recommend?
FuB
Legend

6 months ago

Sid wrote:
6 months ago
FuB wrote:
6 months ago
Sid wrote:
6 months ago
FuB wrote:
6 months ago

Yeah the early pop stuff, Mathilde and that. And then he gradually gets more obscure as you go through his career. I've only scratched the surface really, so what would you recommend?
To be honest, it's ALL good in my opinion.

However, you're heading from the pop of the Walker Brothers, through his increasingly-depressing solo baroque stuff to where he tails off and goes a bit commercial again. Then Nite Flights (great but take it or leave it - although it's a signpost for what's to come) and then the huge curveball of his later solo stuff.

I have the first three of his baroque albums on original vinyl and was always on the look-out for Scott 4 but it's always going at high prices (which will now get higher... should have just taken the hit in retrospect). Scott 4 is the one that people often hold up as the culmination (which it is, chronologically) of his earlier efforts - he gets more and more heavy with his subject matter and more and more self-penned than using translations of Brel songs. For me Scott 3 is the best and I've just listened to that twice in a row having actually listened to it last week just as a matter of course (not unusual for me). It's hard for me to put anything he's done above that album. It's just perfect.

I'd say you've gone to the most avant-garde end with Soused anyway.
Lazarus
Legend

6 months ago

B-) "Play it cool and saran wrap all you can." Scott
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

FuB wrote:
6 months ago
Sid wrote:
6 months ago
FuB wrote:
6 months ago
Sid wrote:
6 months ago
FuB wrote:
6 months ago

However, you're heading from the pop of the Walker Brothers, through his increasingly-depressing solo baroque stuff to where he tails off and goes a bit commercial again. Then Nite Flights (great but take it or leave it - although it's a signpost for what's to come) and then the huge curveball of his later solo stuff.

I have the first three of his baroque albums on original vinyl and was always on the look-out for Scott 4 but it's always going at high prices (which will now get higher... should have just taken the hit in retrospect). Scott 4 is the one that people often hold up as the culmination (which it is, chronologically) of his earlier efforts - he gets more and more heavy with his subject matter and more and more self-penned than using translations of Brel songs. For me Scott 3 is the best and I've just listened to that twice in a row having actually listened to it last week just as a matter of course (not unusual for me). It's hard for me to put anything he's done above that album. It's just perfect.

That's exactly what I wanted. Perfect. I'm putting Scott 3 on now from start to finish.
FuB
Legend

6 months ago

Sid wrote:
6 months ago
FuB wrote:
6 months ago
Sid wrote:
6 months ago
FuB wrote:
6 months ago
Sid wrote:
6 months ago

That's exactly what I wanted. Perfect. I'm putting Scott 3 on now from start to finish.
Hard to pick a standout from that album but, if I had to, it'd be Rosemary. There's no way you can miss the metaphor in that. Like a punch in the face.
swampash
Legend

4 months ago

Grumpy Cat died...the world is suddenly a sadder place.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Robbo
Legend

3 months ago

tombstone.jpg
tombstone.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 64 times
-----------------------------------------------------