Criminally forgotten, neglected or unappreciated musicians/bands

The original Den of Iniquity
Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

Another old one....

Dillard and Clark a firm favourite of mine. The playing on this is awesome. If you don't know them check out their heritage, a rich seam of music.

"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

Do you old timers like the stuff Robert Plant did with Alison Kraus?

I heard it a few months ago, I'm aving it
Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
Do you old timers like the stuff Robert Plant did with Alison Kraus?

I heard it a few months ago, I'm aving it
Good call Sid i like this album, especially Gone gone gone.... it's an old Everly Brothers tune which i love....

The original....

This is another good album in the same vein only not as produced a bit earthier than Raising Sand. If you like your folk Bonnie 'Prince' Billy is the man... This is a tribute album to the Everly's.

Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
Lazarus wrote:
1 year ago
Sid wrote:
1 year ago
You don't expect him to have that voice do you. It's class. It's poignant as well because there'll be people in the crowd that lost someone at sea. More than 6000 people died - more than those that died in WW2, and Hull was the most bombed city after London. Fucked.

Are you lot familiar with the Watersons? They're from here as well, love em.
Lal? I've listened to them as well not an expert though, they've a new album out haven't they?
Norma, Mike, Martin Carthy, their daughter Eliza. I'm no scholar on em either but I'm aving em. Norma is passing over into legend now.

You hear the Led Zep guitar on that first track..... ? Just because you mentioned Plant.
Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

Steggo wrote:
1 year ago
Enjoyed that. Nearly as much as himself. I like a bit of fingerstyle but two or three songs in and my enthusiasm wanes....
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Lazarus wrote:
1 year ago

Knocked it out of the park Fub!!!!! One of those moments every music nerd loves when they turn someone onto a band that they have never heard and they love it..... class. How the fuck did this get past me? Love everything about it. Here's the thing, i know of Jay Unger who is the mandolin player on this apparently. Great mando style. The piano and farfisa are class on this. So is the way it's recorded.

It just got blasted all over Lough Swilly while i went outside for a puff!!!

B-)
Thought you would like it and glad you do. The whole point of this thread was to turn people onto things that are likely to have gone under the radar. that may well be the only success I have for the duration of the thread's lifetime but just the one success is worth it.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Snoopcousins
Legend

1 year ago

FuB wrote:
1 year ago
So, having established my general fish out of water credentials as far as folk music is concerned, here's my next entry... and, as far as I know, these guys all came from the New York folk scene that spawned Dylan, etc. I give you Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys (which is a bit of a mouthful that they abbreviated to simply Cat Mother for their later albums):

I searched long and hard to get a copy of that on vinyl and I absolutely love it. Clearly it's folk wandering into country rock and I wonder if it peaks Laz's musical interests. There's at least one track that'll peak his marijuana interests anyway.

Their first album was produced by Hendrix which seems to give it more of a claim to fame than what's actually contained within. I've failed to get hold of a copy and I don't think it's as good as their second (linked above) which, for me is a masterpiece. I have their third album as well and I live in hope of picking up their first and fourth.

They somehow failed to get to Woodstock despite them having been invited to be there and they ended up setting up a sort of commune instead. I reckon they'd be remembered if their tour bus had made it to Woodstock but, instead, they sank without trace really.
Nice one ....I’m liking that
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Snoopcousins wrote:
1 year ago
FuB wrote:
1 year ago
So, having established my general fish out of water credentials as far as folk music is concerned, here's my next entry... and, as far as I know, these guys all came from the New York folk scene that spawned Dylan, etc. I give you Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys (which is a bit of a mouthful that they abbreviated to simply Cat Mother for their later albums):

I searched long and hard to get a copy of that on vinyl and I absolutely love it. Clearly it's folk wandering into country rock and I wonder if it peaks Laz's musical interests. There's at least one track that'll peak his marijuana interests anyway.

Their first album was produced by Hendrix which seems to give it more of a claim to fame than what's actually contained within. I've failed to get hold of a copy and I don't think it's as good as their second (linked above) which, for me is a masterpiece. I have their third album as well and I live in hope of picking up their first and fourth.

They somehow failed to get to Woodstock despite them having been invited to be there and they ended up setting up a sort of commune instead. I reckon they'd be remembered if their tour bus had made it to Woodstock but, instead, they sank without trace really.
Glad to hear we have another convert!

What about your Snoops? Anything lurking in your music collection that other people should know and maybe don't?
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Snoopcousins
Legend

1 year ago

FuB wrote:
1 year ago
Snoopcousins wrote:
1 year ago
FuB wrote:
1 year ago

Glad to hear we have another convert!

What about your Snoops? Anything lurking in your music collection that other people should know and maybe don't?
I never really have time to just listen to music....
But...when I do it’s mixed collection of things things like Jonny Cash, Pink floyd, Springsteen, Dylan etc

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
Snoopcousins
Legend

1 year ago

I like this kinda dark country rock....
Probably not hardcore enough for you guys tho