Criminally forgotten, neglected or unappreciated musicians/bands

The original Den of Iniquity
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

You don't expect him to have that voice do you. It's class. It's poignant as well because there'll be people in the crowd that lost someone at sea. More than 6000 people died - more than those that died in WW2, and Hull was the most bombed city after London. Fucked.

Are you lot familiar with the Watersons? They're from here as well, love em.
Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
You don't expect him to have that voice do you. It's class. It's poignant as well because there'll be people in the crowd that lost someone at sea. More than 6000 people died - more than those that died in WW2, and Hull was the most bombed city after London. Fucked.

Lal? I've listened to them as well not an expert though, they've a new album out haven't they?
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
Fub, the drum kit that lass is playing in that band is fucking great. I wouldn't mind knocking something like that up for myself in the future. You can't beat a beer keg, well you can, but you can play it musically too. If it's done right it can bring a really nice sharp metallic sound to your stuff. It's something different.
You mean Katzenjammer?

I'm all for "found" sounds and instruments (as you already know from our musings). There's at least one track we did where my mate played a banana because it had just the right dull thud to it and was there to hand at the time. Didn't last long, mind.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Re the recent folk bonanza. I've gone through them all and Laz, I really like the second two you posted but the first - despite her clearly having a lovely voice - I just can't be doing with. It's that particular lilting celtic singing style that does my nut i'm afraid. Maybe one day I'll be able to reappraise that point of view but I'm not hopeful.

Big Mick is great, Sid. I've been fairly clear that I am anything but into folk music (although, what the fuck does that really mean?) but talent always breaks through for me.
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

So, having established my general fish out of water credentials as far as folk music is concerned, here's my next entry... and, as far as I know, these guys all came from the New York folk scene that spawned Dylan, etc. I give you Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys (which is a bit of a mouthful that they abbreviated to simply Cat Mother for their later albums):

I searched long and hard to get a copy of that on vinyl and I absolutely love it. Clearly it's folk wandering into country rock and I wonder if it peaks Laz's musical interests. There's at least one track that'll peak his marijuana interests anyway.

Their first album was produced by Hendrix which seems to give it more of a claim to fame than what's actually contained within. I've failed to get hold of a copy and I don't think it's as good as their second (linked above) which, for me is a masterpiece. I have their third album as well and I live in hope of picking up their first and fourth.

They somehow failed to get to Woodstock despite them having been invited to be there and they ended up setting up a sort of commune instead. I reckon they'd be remembered if their tour bus had made it to Woodstock but, instead, they sank without trace really.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

FuB wrote:
1 year ago
Sid wrote:
1 year ago
Fub, the drum kit that lass is playing in that band is fucking great. I wouldn't mind knocking something like that up for myself in the future. You can't beat a beer keg, well you can, but you can play it musically too. If it's done right it can bring a really nice sharp metallic sound to your stuff. It's something different.
You mean Katzenjammer?

I'm all for "found" sounds and instruments (as you already know from our musings). There's at least one track we did where my mate played a banana because it had just the right dull thud to it and was there to hand at the time. Didn't last long, mind.
I can imagine a banana giving a good dul thud, a weighty one, just beginning to ripen. You just wouldn't get that from an apple. You can make most things musical though, look at that Stomp, bunch of binmen playing fucking bins. It works.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

Lazarus wrote:
1 year ago
Sid wrote:
1 year ago

Lal? I've listened to them as well not an expert though, they've a new album out haven't they?
Norma, Mike, Martin Carthy, their daughter Eliza. I'm no scholar on em either but I'm aving em. Norma is passing over into legend now.

Steggo
Legend

1 year ago

Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

FuB wrote:
1 year ago
So, having established my general fish out of water credentials as far as folk music is concerned, here's my next entry... and, as far as I know, these guys all came from the New York folk scene that spawned Dylan, etc. I give you Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys (which is a bit of a mouthful that they abbreviated to simply Cat Mother for their later albums):

I searched long and hard to get a copy of that on vinyl and I absolutely love it. Clearly it's folk wandering into country rock and I wonder if it peaks Laz's musical interests. There's at least one track that'll peak his marijuana interests anyway.

Their first album was produced by Hendrix which seems to give it more of a claim to fame than what's actually contained within. I've failed to get hold of a copy and I don't think it's as good as their second (linked above) which, for me is a masterpiece. I have their third album as well and I live in hope of picking up their first and fourth.

They somehow failed to get to Woodstock despite them having been invited to be there and they ended up setting up a sort of commune instead. I reckon they'd be remembered if their tour bus had made it to Woodstock but, instead, they sank without trace really.
Knocked it out of the park Fub!!!!! One of those moments every music nerd loves when they turn someone onto a band that they have never heard and they love it..... class. How the fuck did this get past me? Love everything about it. Here's the thing, i know of Jay Unger who is the mandolin player on this apparently. Great mando style. The piano and farfisa are class on this. So is the way it's recorded.

It just got blasted all over Lough Swilly while i went outside for a puff!!!

B-)
Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

A bit of jay Ungar. I practiced to this a bit. Can really see his fingers and it's a nice pace. Lovely tune as well.