Criminally forgotten, neglected or unappreciated musicians/bands

The original Den of Iniquity
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

This is an idea I've wanted to turn into a thread for a little while but I wanted to wait till upgrading the forum and getting embedded media links working. A youtube link or two would definitely help.

I know there's a "what are you listening to" thread but I've generally used that at face value and posted things that i've been listening to at that point, often regardless of whether i like them a lot or not.

Anyway I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where we could highlight specific groups and/or musicians who either haven't ever made it despite deserving to, have fallen by the wayside inexplicably or just been sadly forgotten or never appreciated as much as they should have been. Maybe they've even had a massive impact and influence on music after them but remained obscure themselves.

Clearly this is going to be a subjective thing and likely emotive if people post about musicians that mean a lot to them so, if anyone wants to say "no, such and such were shit and best forgotten" then at least have the decency to explain why you think that!
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

As a start, I'd like to nominate Bill Nelson, former band leader and guitarist with Be Bop Deluxe and later solo artist and experimenter who has traversed genres from glam rock, through art rock with prog tinges, through to new wave, synthpop and later much more experimental stuff.

He certainly has a cult following but it won't surprise me to learn that hardly anyone has heard of him. They might have heard of Be Bop Deluxe in the 70s but, even then, I'm not sure they really hit the heights they could have done. Admittedly, his music has often shown an influence from Bowie but, even though much of it is dated now, I feel that most of his output has been ahead of the curve.

Highlights for me are:

Be Bop Deluxe - Futurama (1975)

Glam rock moves into serious prog territory

There are a couple more Be Bop Delux albums after that which continue and refine their style ("Sunburst Finish" then "Modern Music" - both great in my opinion) and then they completely completely change tack with the advent of punk and new wave arriving

Be Bep Deluxe - Drastic Plastic (1978)

The rest of the band just couldn't cope with Nelson's progressive instincts and they folded there... he just went on to this:

(Bill Nelson's) Red Noise - Sound on Sound (1979)

which is just off the wall, even now...

at the same time as recording that, he was recording the following in his home studio... however it wasn't released till 1981. Still ahead of the curve even then, in my opinion.

Bill Nelson - Quit Dreaming and Get on the Beam (1981)

whilst waiting for that to be released, he's gone full synthpop... dated, i know, but for 1982, i think still ahead of the curve:

Flaming Desire (from "The Love That Whirls") (1982)

From here on, he gets more and more experimental and more and more obscure. I have plenty in my collection from later but i have to admit that my interest drops off. Nevertheless, i still count him as one of my musical heroes and definitely someone who hasn't seemed to get the recognition he deserved.
Robbo
Legend

1 year ago

For me it would be these young ladies from Norway from the band Katzenjammer each play multiple instruments and Change instruments more or less for each song.

Just now they are on hiatus as the members are doing solo projects but they are so talented, I found when zapping through the telly one night on a german music program
they were showing a concert in Hamburg and I watched the whole thing say wow a lot.

They dont have the big chart hits but what each has for talent blows your biebers et al away.

A Bar In Amsterdam

To The Sea.

Land of confusion yes the Genesis song.

I will dance.

Rock Paper Scissors

All in all a band for me that is criminally underrated and more a guilty secret.
-----------------------------------------------------
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

It's nice to see an all-girl group that isn't just a blatant gimmick. I may have to search out some of their studio stuff but I get the feeling their multi-instrumentalism needs the live setting to really do it justice. I'm not really a great fan of folky stuff and at least a couple of those put me in mind of sea shanties for some reason but I really enjoyed them. Thanks for that, Robbo!

Who's next?
redzebs
Legend

1 year ago

Adele
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
redzebs
Legend

1 year ago

Nah seriously, going to see Belle and Sebastian on Monday, cannae wait!

Staying in the Clarence, the hotel U2 own, me and a mate classing up the place like
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Oi, you fucker... don't go spamming my nice new thread. bastard!
swampash
Legend

1 year ago

Couple of days ago watched 'Beware of Mr Baker'. Film about Ginger Baker - now a sad old, still half-bonkers nutter, but one of the greatest drummers of all time.
If you watch the film, you'll never listen to Cream's music quite the same way again. Explains where he got his inspiration from.
He had open heart surgery last year, so may not be with us for that much longer...
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

What about Baker Gurvitz Army, swampash?

To be honest, the Gurvitz brothers would probably be my next choice
Steggo
Legend

1 year ago

I've been lucky enough to see Bill Nelson in most of his reincarnations. The last time I saw him live was when he played with his band,The Gentlemen Rocketeers. Brilliant musician and truly underrated. And ,in a roundabout way,that led me to the music of a band called 'Mostly Autumn' who I saw in Norwich just before Christmas. Excellent musicians.