The Grammar Police

The original Den of Iniquity
Pikey McScum
Star Man

2 years ago

I don't visit as often as I should, as every time I do I feel I should visit a doctor shortly afterwards to get my blood/urine/anal passage tested.

That being said, I've been reading some of the threads recently and the grammatical correction replies of one Alfonso have had me pissing myself (with laughter, not as a result of the aforementioned medical check concerns).

It got me thinking about how much the following annoy me:

"should of" instead of "should have"
"could of" instead of "could have"

Am I alone in my hatred of this, is it just reflective of my being part of the older generation who were taught to construct sentences correctly, or is it all just a load of old bollocks that I really shouldn't be concerned with?

:-B
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

2 years ago

I was only on the wind up...

I'm the last person here, who would seriously correct anyones grammar/spelling, as mine is so bad...

I couldn't give a shit about that stuff anyway... all that matters to me is that I understand what someone is trying to say... I actually like some of the ways people get colourful with their written expression, makes it more like a conversation... or "convo", right Sid?

Having said that, there's a few here, who've actually managed to post shit that is complete jibberish...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Lazarus
Legend

2 years ago

Given that i've spent most of my life teaching reading and gramma' i'm into it bigly. But it's more important on here to be at least intelligible.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

Where's Swamps, he'll want to get stuck into this thread

I've got the trumpet tune ready
redzebs
Legend

2 years ago

Autocorrect for iOS users has fucked it all anyway.

I went to type the other day I hit S and it corrected it to L, that's a true story, how the fuck did it know what I was going to say!!!!!
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Pikey McScum
Star Man

2 months ago

Heard a story from a teacher friend of mine recently:

The school principal asked one of the senior English teachers (and by senior I mean some young upstart who apparently performs like a legend in interviews so climbed the ladder very quickly) to review a report she was submitting for grammatical/spelling errors etc.

No shit, he handed the report back to her having corrected one of her statements which included the phrase "would have" - bonus points for guessing what he changed it to....

:|
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015