Giving David Moyes time

Manchester United chat
sheesh

6 years ago

quote="Sid"]So are you all going to give him time like you said you would? up to 2 years of this?[/quote]

Saw this post earlier in the City matchday thread and it gave me food for thought so I felt it was worth starting a separate thread. It's an interesting topic.

Let's be realistic. What choice do we have? The circumstances are: the manager inherited a side that needed an overhaul (getting rid of shite/bringing in some quality). It's not his fault he inherited some of the players he did. it's not his fault that the Glazers failed to back him this summer whilst our rivals improved their squads. I accept Moyes should never have signed Fellaini. He could also have ditched a few players but I don't blame a new guy coming in for wanting to assess first-hand what the existing players are like before dumping anyone.

Oh, and yes, the manager himself should never have publicly come out with this excuse but an excuse is an excuse: he's had a shocker of a fixture list.

Let's suppose we do get rid of Moyes. Who do we bring in? Why would it make more sense to bring in a top-class manager who will have the exact same budget that Moyes has (bugger all)? Would an alternative, high-profile manager be anymore competitive in the transfer market? I doubt it. Would an alternative, high-profile manager be anymore accepting of our financial situation when it comes to signing top players? I doubt it.

I'm not saying "Moyes is God" nor am I defending some of the decisions he has made. His team selection today was appalling. His refusal to play Kagawa/Nani and insistence on picking Young/Valencia is mystifying - but the situation is what it is. He isn't Pep Guardiola or Jurgen Klopp. He will make stupid mistakes. He isn't of their calibre.

Our problems go way beyond David Moyes and, until the Glazers finally fuck off, we have little option but to give the manager time. If anything, if our value starts to plummet, surely this will prompt them to sell up?
Sid
Legend

6 years ago

3 big clubs played and one point gained. The two biggest games of the season, Anfield and Wastelands, fucked. No goals in open play since Swansea. Fellaini in the number 10 role. Ashley Young a regular starter. Skillful creative players frozen out. This is the Everton manager still, not the next United manager.

If this is the future then United fans will not tolerate 2 years of it despite all the top red 'we'll give him 5 years' bullshit. 5 years of that shite ^ and the club will be in financial meltdown.
Sid
Legend

6 years ago

On paper Moyes has had a tough start to the season but in reality Chelsea were there for taking, and we sat off, and Liverpool were fucking shite and we did nothing
RobDiablo
Legend

6 years ago

Sid wrote:If this is the future then United fans will not tolerate 2 years of it despite all the top red 'we'll give him 5 years' bullshit. 5 years of that shite ^ and the club will be in financial meltdown.
I think the majority of United fans will tolerate it, because United will pick up enough points against sides lower in the table to keep it there or thereabouts.

The Glazers don't give a shit what we think, and the decision of who will manage United is entirely theirs. From the Glazer's point of view, they can't afford a top manager and the squad-refreshing transfer kitty he would demand. Spending money on anything other than themselves is not the reason they bought United in the first place.

The fans won't riot, they'll piss and moan like the Arsenal supporters did, but they won't take any meaningful action. It's like the anecdote about boiling frogs. The gradual pace of the decline and the promises of better days just around the next transfer window continues to keep United fans coming back for more.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

6 years ago

no amount of funds or time is going to stop moyes being the average midtable safety first kick it long don't like skilful foreigners or young players shits himself in big games jock fraud twat hes always been,
lkhm

hoofing
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

6 years ago

RobDiablo wrote:
Sid wrote:If this is the future then United fans will not tolerate 2 years of it despite all the top red 'we'll give him 5 years' bullshit. 5 years of that shite ^ and the club will be in financial meltdown.
I think the majority of United fans will tolerate it, because United will pick up enough points against sides lower in the table to keep it there or thereabouts.
there'll be a game at home against one of the riff raff soon when his negative tactics mean we struggle to break them down, and he'll again stick fellaini up front, then opinion will change
lkhm

hoofing
Sid
Legend

6 years ago

Exactly, that

If he's too conervative against the shite, still favouring Young and Fellaini over footballers, then he'll lose the fans
sheesh

6 years ago

Ultimately, it doesn't matter to the Glazers what the fans want or don't want.

As long as we're finishing in the top 4, I think Moyes will keep his job.

I agree with Rob.
RobDiablo
Legend

6 years ago

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:there'll be a game at home against one of the riff raff soon when his negative tactics mean we struggle to break them down, and he'll again stick fellaini up front, then opinion will change
I don't think so. Last season, our football was often excruciatingly bad, even at OT, but did the fans revolt? No. Most of them just pointed to the league table and smiled in the assurance that United was still a great club playing great football.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

6 years ago

we wont win the prem though tbf,

its been the top red mantra for years that the type of football is more important than the winning, well the trophies will stop while weve got this side and no taggart,

and moyes has done the only thing he could've to make the football even worse, sign a big cunt to lump it up to,

so the top reds are bang to rights if they don't turn on him tbf
lkhm

hoofing