Managerial candidates (not Jose) and why

Manchester United chat
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

People have been spewing out the usual group of names but anyone got their heart set or a pipe dream of any specific managers, and why they want them, giz a bit of background as well please if they aren't world world famous or British.

I'm intrigued to know more about the Chilean coach who won the South American tourno then signed a new contract then resigned after a month, looks like he could be going for club football but too risky still intriguing, I know we can't risk fucking this up but our goals next year are probably top 3 and decent cup runs. Look at Raniera at Leicster, didn't see that coming,

I like the Juventus coach and also Conte but I'm not sure about taking a coach straight from a national team, I'm wondering do they need to resettle themselves into the different challenges as well and is it better if they are older and younger going from national to club, younger, maybe more new ideas, more drive, enjoy working with the players all the time, older, will almost certainly have had previous club experience.

Potticheno is the obvious one but he ain't leaving Spurs, I think we need a younger manager too, maybe in their 50s or younger for example Pep, Klippity, they would have been no brainers.

Anyone fancy enlightening/surprising us?
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
marlon
Legend

3 years ago

The thing that really narrows it down, is that if they haven't managed a big club, they at least have to have won something big and in most leagues, the big financially dominant teams tend to win every year.

Rudi Garica won the French league with Lille (pre psg). Just got sacked by Roma after finishing 2nd in both seasons there. Coaches attacking football but no guarantee of success.

Roger Schmidt is the Leverkusen manager. Looks like they'll finish 3rd again in his 2nd season. Style is sort of Klopp on steroids. Maybe the best pressing coach out there. Won some stuff with Salzburg, but afaik, nothing with Leverkusen yet.

Jorge Jesus is an interesting one. Took over at Benfica when they finished 20 points behind Porto in 4th and won the league in his first season. Overall won three league titles in 6 years at Benfica - he's mostly responsible for turning it into a two team league. That's until this season when he moved to Sporting and now they're top of the league. Made the final of the Europa twice with Benfica (knocked out Juve in 13/14 semis), but only got out of the group stages once in the CL, where they were knocked out by Chelsea in the QFs.

Unai Emery is another attacking coach. Sacked for finishing 3rd in la Liga two years in a row by Valencia when they were selling silva/villa/Mata type players every year. Doing well at Sevilla now. Won the Europa twice but never got far in the CL (third in their group this year behind city and Juve).

Tuchel is doing great in his first year at Dortmund - they've scored as many as Bayern this year - and they're playing good football as per. Already scored more and got more points than in Klopp's final season. Never won anything but he's only 42 and Dortmund is his first big club.

Looking at that, I guess people will think Mourinho is the best choice (although if you're going defensive Simeone would be much better) but afaik, Poch hasn't won anything, Enrique was a bit rubbish pre Barca, but played in the right style and Allegri was nothing special at Milan before taking Juve to the CL final. Point being, that the number one factor is always going to be the players - the manager might swing it 5 points either way, but mostly it's about style. And in knockout comps, defensive coaches will probably do better.

So if winning was all you cared about, Simeone all the way. One of the few managers who is probably worth more than 5 points a season and has a great CL record especially considering he's not at one of the big clubs. Still think we could get Pochettino because of Tottenham's new stadium holding back their transfers, although like any other sane manager he'd probably demand we hire a sporting director. Personally, I'd take any of the above over Mourinho.

On Mourinho, max has been saying he'd attract big names. He wouldn't. Players like pogba and Neymar have both said in the last couple of months they'd like to play for Guardiola - players want attacking coaches so they can enjoy their football. When was the last time a player said they wanted to play for Mourinho? In terms of players, Mourinho would bring Mendes to the table - someone else to rape our club. And who has Mendes actually got who'd come to United? More Bebés most likely. He's obviously a great manager though and who knows, maybe he'll stay for years and not leave the team in ruins and ignore the academy and poke people in the eye and park the bus every time we play city.
urboystook1hellofabeating
First Teamer

3 years ago

marlon wrote:The thing that really narrows it down, is that if they haven't managed a big club, they at least have to have won something big and in most leagues, the big financially dominant teams tend to win every year.

Rudi Garica won the French league with Lille (pre psg). Just got sacked by Roma after finishing 2nd in both seasons there. Coaches attacking football but no guarantee of success.

Roger Schmidt is the Leverkusen manager. Looks like they'll finish 3rd again in his 2nd season. Style is sort of Klopp on steroids. Maybe the best pressing coach out there. Won some stuff with Salzburg, but afaik, nothing with Leverkusen yet.

Jorge Jesus is an interesting one. Took over at Benfica when they finished 20 points behind Porto in 4th and won the league in his first season. Overall won three league titles in 6 years at Benfica - he's mostly responsible for turning it into a two team league. That's until this season when he moved to Sporting and now they're top of the league. Made the final of the Europa twice with Benfica (knocked out Juve in 13/14 semis), but only got out of the group stages once in the CL, where they were knocked out by Chelsea in the QFs.

Unai Emery is another attacking coach. Sacked for finishing 3rd in la Liga two years in a row by Valencia when they were selling silva/villa/Mata type players every year. Doing well at Sevilla now. Won the Europa twice but never got far in the CL (third in their group this year behind city and Juve).

Tuchel is doing great in his first year at Dortmund - they've scored as many as Bayern this year - and they're playing good football as per. Already scored more and got more points than in Klopp's final season. Never won anything but he's only 42 and Dortmund is his first big club.

Looking at that, I guess people will think Mourinho is the best choice (although if you're going defensive Simeone would be much better) but afaik, Poch hasn't won anything, Enrique was a bit rubbish pre Barca, but played in the right style and Allegri was nothing special at Milan before taking Juve to the CL final. Point being, that the number one factor is always going to be the players - the manager might swing it 5 points either way, but mostly it's about style. And in knockout comps, defensive coaches will probably do better.

So if winning was all you cared about, Simeone all the way. One of the few managers who is probably worth more than 5 points a season and has a great CL record especially considering he's not at one of the big clubs. Still think we could get Pochettino because of Tottenham's new stadium holding back their transfers, although like any other sane manager he'd probably demand we hire a sporting director. Personally, I'd take any of the above over Mourinho.

On Mourinho, max has been saying he'd attract big names. He wouldn't. Players like pogba and Neymar have both said in the last couple of months they'd like to play for Guardiola - players want attacking coaches so they can enjoy their football. When was the last time a player said they wanted to play for Mourinho? In terms of players, Mourinho would bring Mendes to the table - someone else to rape our club. And who has Mendes actually got who'd come to United? More Bebés most likely. He's obviously a great manager though and who knows, maybe he'll stay for years and not leave the team in ruins and ignore the academy and poke people in the eye and park the bus every time we play city.
:ymapplause:
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

marlon wrote:The thing that really narrows it down, is that if they haven't managed a big club, they at least have to have won something big and in most leagues, the big financially dominant teams tend to win every year.

Nice reply mate cheers, I'm going to be doing a bit of back research but also try and catch as many foreign matches as I can until the end of the season, BT constantly shows them, try and catch all the round ups would be better, that's some great European stuff, let's see if anyone can do as well with the Americas and rest of the world without just copying Tim Vickery, it's tough, because they don't show a lot of South American football which I really enjoy watching, I enjoy watching the mls but more as something to watch than paying proper sporting attention, it seems like a really good day out, decent atmospheres, all the pomp, have a few cold ones and a hot dog and watch some decent athletic reasonably technical if not over skilled games, true, some are shit but it's coming along, but we ain't gonna get our manager from there so it's a moot point, there's a lot of coverage.

I wish we hadn't fucked up our last two appointments as I do not want a defensive coach, I want an attacking coach even if it means the odd heartbreak, must give Seville a watch, they'll be on again on the usual La Liga coverage and next Thursday too, I must admit I'd never thought of Emery, don't know too much about him except that was a good Valencia side, fuck finishing third in la liga in a very very often two horse race and then hire aul G Nev, lol. Gonna go and read up a bit more about him, we'll obviously hire Jose or fuck it up some other way but I like the sound of him from what I remember.

What about Allegri or Conte after the Euros?

I know it sounds ridiculous after all these illustrious names but we can't fuck things up and I know they've had a shaky spell recently but I've been impressed what Hughes has done this season, he's spent about £30 million on two record signings but he's picked up some bargains as well as some players you think shouldn't be in the same team as some of the flair players but they've done a job for him, he wouldn't have that problem at United, like really moneyball bargain basement players to do a job while he builds his team.

All the players would respect him, young and old will know him, he knows the club, he knows the league, he'd be working with a much better squad and he seems to have Fergies old talent of surprising with a signing from left field who does really well, he'd stabilise things, he'd not be another Moyes, plus he backs his players to the hilt, knows when an arm round the shoulder is needed for the younger players and their confidence is fucked at the minute, plus he plays decent to watch football and was sacked from City before we got to see what he could do with the millions Mancini got.
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

3 years ago

redzebs wrote:

Nice reply mate cheers, I'm going to be doing a bit of back research but also try and catch as many foreign matches as I can until the end of the season, BT constantly shows them, try and catch all the round ups would be better, that's some great European stuff, let's see if anyone can do as well with the Americas and rest of the world without just copying Tim Vickery, it's tough, because they don't show a lot of South American football which I really enjoy watching, I enjoy watching the mls but more as something to watch than paying proper sporting attention, it seems like a really good day out, decent atmospheres, all the pomp, have a few cold ones and a hot dog and watch some decent athletic reasonably technical if not over skilled games, true, some are shit but it's coming along, but we ain't gonna get our manager from there so it's a moot point, there's a lot of coverage.

I wish we hadn't fucked up our last two appointments as I do not want a defensive coach, I want an attacking coach even if it means the odd heartbreak, must give Seville a watch, they'll be on again on the usual La Liga coverage and next Thursday too, I must admit I'd never thought of Emery, don't know too much about him except that was a good Valencia side, fuck finishing third in la liga in a very very often two horse race and then hire aul G Nev, lol. Gonna go and read up a bit more about him, we'll obviously hire Jose or fuck it up some other way but I like the sound of him from what I remember.

I know it sounds ridiculous after all these illustrious names but we can't fuck things up and I know they've had a shaky spell recently but I've been impressed what Hughes has done this season, he's spent about £30 million on two record signings but he's picked up some bargains as well as some players you think shouldn't be in the same team as some of the flair players but they've done a job for him, he wouldn't have that problem at United, like really moneyball bargain basement players to do a job while he builds his team.

All the players would respect him, young and old will know him, he knows the club, he knows the league, he'd be working with a much better squad and he seems to have Fergies old talent of surprising with a signing from left field who does really well, he'd stabilise things, he'd not be another Moyes, plus he backs his players to the hilt, knows when an arm round the shoulder is needed for the younger players and their confidence is fucked at the minute, plus he plays decent to watch football and was sacked from City before we got to see what he could do with the millions Mancini got.
I'm sure if you call Man Utd up and say you're planning on watching more foreign football and even going to the trouble of watching the highlights show, they may have a role for you on the board?

Maybe, I don't want to get your hopes up, but maybe you could replace Woodworm??
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

brianofnazarethffs wrote:
redzebs wrote:

I'm sure if you call Man Utd up and say you're planning on watching more foreign football and even going to the trouble of watching the highlights show, they may have a role for you on the board?

Maybe, I don't want to get your hopes up, but maybe you could replace Woodworm??
I'd be boss, I'd be one of those cunts that spends all my wages on Saville Row suits and hire a strut instructor, walk into the prem chief execs meetings in slow motion with crazy eyes, we'd buy anyone we wanted.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

3 years ago

The thing is, you have to look beyond the manager to the framework within the boardroom level of the club.

To bring in a younger guy from abroad, it'd be a 'first team coach' style appointment. And to give that model a chance of being successful you need stability within the club. You need a board of directors that are aligned, with a strong presence of 'football men'. Not just corporate suits. The existing board are just Glazer lackeys. Football isn't their driver and even if it was, they wouldn't know how to do it well.

If we had that sort of model in place, Pochettino would be a great choice. But frankly, I don't see any compelling reason for him to leave Spurs and join us.

What we need is someone to come in as a genuine 'manager'. Someone with the ego, the credibility, the know how to rebuild the club from the ground up. It needs to be someone with a knowledge of the premiership too. Even if Giggs were a genius in the dressing room, great tactically and a great man manager - there's a huge amount of managing up the chain that needs to be done. The useless cunts in charge don't have the know how or capability to identify and attract the right players. So the manager will have to do it. He'll need to fix the team and have enough influence to sort the mess out above.

Mourinho is honestly the only viable candidate that I see.
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

That's why I'm saying Hughes for a few years to steady the ship
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

Aye tbf there might be beef between Hughes and Fergie. The last thing we need is more fucking drama.
marlon
Legend

3 years ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:The thing is, you have to look beyond the manager to the framework within the boardroom level of the club.

To bring in a younger guy from abroad, it'd be a 'first team coach' style appointment. And to give that model a chance of being successful you need stability within the club. You need a board of directors that are aligned, with a strong presence of 'football men'. Not just corporate suits. The existing board are just Glazer lackeys. Football isn't their driver and even if it was, they wouldn't know how to do it well.

If we had that sort of model in place, Pochettino would be a great choice. But frankly, I don't see any compelling reason for him to leave Spurs and join us.

What we need is someone to come in as a genuine 'manager'. Someone with the ego, the credibility, the know how to rebuild the club from the ground up. It needs to be someone with a knowledge of the premiership too. Even if Giggs were a genius in the dressing room, great tactically and a great man manager - there's a huge amount of managing up the chain that needs to be done. The useless cunts in charge don't have the know how or capability to identify and attract the right players. So the manager will have to do it. He'll need to fix the team and have enough influence to sort the mess out above.

Mourinho is honestly the only viable candidate that I see.
Get a sporting director in and the entire structure above him becomes more or less irrelevant on the football side of things. And unless Mourinho is also going to negotiate transfers he'll have to rely on Woodward, who's enough of a fuckwit to undermine any manager.