Jose Mourinho

Manchester United chat
marlon
Legend

3 years ago

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fan ... er-united/

"It will require a period of rebuilding to get the roster back up to the level in should be. This is where Mourinho comes in. He is a tactical manager with a history of remaking teams in his own image for immediate success. The problem is, that narrative does not quite fit the facts of his career. In his last three managerial jobs, in his first year Mourinho has only improved the club’s point total by an average of 0.7 points, and each time the team has finished in the same position it did the year before Mourinho arrived. He made an incredible impact at Chelsea in 2004, helping the Blues jump 16 points and walk to the Premier League title. But that season was more than a decade ago, and the evidence of Mourinho’s ability as a turnaround artist is relatively limited."
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

marlon wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fan ... er-united/

"It will require a period of rebuilding to get the roster back up to the level in should be. This is where Mourinho comes in. He is a tactical manager with a history of remaking teams in his own image for immediate success. The problem is, that narrative does not quite fit the facts of his career. In his last three managerial jobs, in his first year Mourinho has only improved the club’s point total by an average of 0.7 points, and each time the team has finished in the same position it did the year before Mourinho arrived. He made an incredible impact at Chelsea in 2004, helping the Blues jump 16 points and walk to the Premier League title. But that season was more than a decade ago, and the evidence of Mourinho’s ability as a turnaround artist is relatively limited."
Come on... since his first spell at Chelsea, he's not been in charge of a team that needed "turning around"... he took over class teams, and either kept, or made them winners...

Look, you can take any manager, even Guardiola and Ferguson, and create an argument that says they're not as good as their trophy cabinet says... Guardiola never managed a shite team, Ferguson had the riches of United to back him, etc... Mourinho may not be everyones ideal, but he's earned his reputation just as much as any top manager...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

Porto and Inter were great achievements but we don't have that type of player and in a stronger league
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
swampash
Legend

3 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Sid wrote:No it's not, it's United's money
That's right... and that's the problem... fans have lost sight of that...
How do you figure that one? What is "united" in that sense versus the "owners"? If it means the Glazers trouser a bit less dosh, that's fine with me. And if they don't spend the £15 million, how do you figure they will give it to the fans?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

swampash wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Sid wrote:No it's not, it's United's money
That's right... and that's the problem... fans have lost sight of that...
How do you figure that one? What is "united" in that sense versus the "owners"? If it means the Glazers trouser a bit less dosh, that's fine with me. And if they don't spend the £15 million, how do you figure they will give it to the fans?
I don figure the fans would be given the 15m? Do you think I think the Glazers would give that to us? I'm confused.

The point is that the Glazers aren't spending thier own wealth, they're spending wealth the club makes whether its sponsorships, TV or match day revenue. They're squandering United's wealth, not their own private wealth. And when they invest United's wealth back into the club like on the new hospital at Carrington, or on a top manager, they shouldn't be applauded for it.
swampash
Legend

3 years ago

Bonkers stuff Sid. Fuck the Glazers, but fact is they own the club. If they want to buy an option on Jose, that's really okay with me because at the end of the day if it backfires it is just a little petty cash less in their pockets.
Davel
Legend

3 years ago

we really need a manager who will not be intimidated by our past, can u think of any1 but mou who fits the bill
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

It's not bonkers Swamps, it's not their cash, it's United's - even if they own the club. They don't invest their personal wealth in football because they're not daft
swampash
Legend

3 years ago

I understand your sentiment Sid. I just think that buying an option on JoMo isn't such a daft move. He's effectively taken out of the market for what is, in the grand scheme of things, relatively peanuts. If LVG continues to bomb out you exercise the option, but if between now and the end of the season LVG mends his ways and turns out to be manager that he thinks he is, you don't.
[If they were really smart and made it a tradable option, you could even sell it on to another club at a profit ;) ]
sheesh
Legend

3 years ago

We need to ditch LVG whatever happens.

He isn't a long term solution, and we have seen too much shit this season to justify keeping him. Can we really afford one more season with the board sticking their thumbs up their arses, whilst our supposed rivals get stronger at managerial and player level? I don't think we can.

The club needed to act at Christmas. Out out out.