Jose Mourinho

Manchester United chat
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

what about this as a - very much admittedly far fetched - hypothesis:

What if the idea of a sporting director/DoF isn't Woodward's? What if Mourinho has requested this in order to get out from under Woodward's grasp? It's all to easy to say that Mourinho has previous in not wanting to work with a DoF but he's also had previous in having non-football people pulling the strings as to who gets bought/sold... Abramovich, Perez. He's also worked under a DoF at Inter and, reportedly, enjoyed that relationship.

A campaign to ingratiate himself with the fans and against Woodward would also fit with this.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

FuB wrote:
1 year ago

What if the idea of a sporting director/DoF isn't Woodward's? What if Mourinho has requested this in order to get out from under Woodward's grasp? It's all to easy to say that Mourinho has previous in not wanting to work with a DoF but he's also had previous in having non-football people pulling the strings as to who gets bought/sold... Abramovich, Perez. He's also worked under a DoF at Inter and, reportedly, enjoyed that relationship.

A campaign to ingratiate himself with the fans and against Woodward would also fit with this.
Could be, maybe Mourinho's fed up with Woodward's incompetence and said I need a DoF to help with the transfers. But if that's the case don't get your hopes up at whoever fills the role having any real power. Woodward will want to retain his influence over transfers.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 year ago

I could see it. And I can imagine Jose resenting a situation where he's over-ruled on footballing matters by a banking wizard. With some justification, possibly.

But there's still likely to be a clash. The DoF will presumably take some direction from the board on the principles he (or she) has to adopt; a culture of attacking football, signing players predominately on technical merit rather than physical strength, an emphasis on youth.

If Mourinho is unable to bin off Martial now so he can bring in a Perisic, that's unlikely to change under a DoF.
Felwin
First Teamer

1 year ago

FuB wrote:
1 year ago

It’s an interesting idea but surely granting Jose’s idea is undermining Woodward’s/the board’s power?

I’m much more of the opinion of it being a PR exercise in order to score a win during the current negative press about transfer policy. Kind of a token gesture in order to show they’re serious and Jose was the one talking out of his arse.
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
Could be, maybe Mourinho's fed up with Woodward's incompetence and said I need a DoF to help with the transfers. But if that's the case don't get your hopes up at whoever fills the role having any real power. Woodward will want to retain his influence over transfers.
ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
1 year ago
I could see it. And I can imagine Jose resenting a situation where he's over-ruled on footballing matters by a banking wizard. With some justification, possibly.

But there's still likely to be a clash. The DoF will presumably take some direction from the board on the principles he (or she) has to adopt; a culture of attacking football, signing players predominately on technical merit rather than physical strength, an emphasis on youth.

If Mourinho is unable to bin off Martial now so he can bring in a Perisic, that's unlikely to change under a DoF.
I think you can look at a DoF role from both angles. For a start they'd presumably be board level so are better positioned to argue out a case from a position of equality that Mourinho, as a rung below on the ladder, doesn't actually have. In practice, it would obviously be unlikely that Woodward would be sidelined but, even if it's his wishes and he retains control, I don't see why they'd bring in a DoF if there wasn't some sort of appreciation that he's out of his depth in terms of the football side of things.
Felwin wrote:
1 year ago
It’s an interesting idea but surely granting Jose’s idea is undermining Woodward’s/the board’s power?
Well, don't forget that I prefaced the concept as far fetched to begin with.

However, it was coming from the current situation whereby it seems that Mourinho is literally trying to undermine Woodward with his "i'm with the fans and they're with me" stance.
Felwin wrote:
1 year ago

I’m much more of the opinion of it being a PR exercise in order to score a win during the current negative press about transfer policy. Kind of a token gesture in order to show they’re serious and Jose was the one talking out of his arse.
I'm not really sure how looking to bring in a proper sporting director or director of football shows that Mourinho was talking out of his arse. Doesn't it look more like they're admitting the current structure - which isn't Mourinho's doing - isn't working?
Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

“They say I’m in danger, but I don’t think so,” he told Italian newspaper La Repubblica. “If they sent me away, do you have any idea how much money they would have to give me?!”

:))

:finger:
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

A win over a half-arsed Burnley and it's all on track again, we've turned a corner.......
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

Lazarus wrote:
1 year ago
“They say I’m in danger, but I don’t think so,” he told Italian newspaper La Repubblica. “If they sent me away, do you have any idea how much money they would have to give me?!”

I'll have to check the paper version but I can't find any trace on their site that he said this (at least recently). Does anyone actually have a link that isn't just a jump to the main sports section of their site?
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

1 year ago

Something about his demeanour has changed over the last couple of weeks. Laughing and joking in the post match presser last night.

Maybe he just doesn't give a fuck anymore. Maybe he's checked out.
Lazarus
Legend

1 year ago

FuB wrote:
1 year ago
Lazarus wrote:
1 year ago

I'll have to check the paper version but I can't find any trace on their site that he said this (at least recently). Does anyone actually have a link that isn't just a jump to the main sports section of their site?
Do you think he didn't say this? Because that changes everything!!! ;)