So how do we fix it?

Manchester United chat
Felwin
First Teamer

3 years ago

Got to say that as much as I think LvG is a washed up, stubborn, flat faced arsehole... I also think that sacking him is more depressing than keeping him. Is this it from now on, lads? Sacking managers every season or two like the other "top" teams. This is the same cycle that we laugh at other clubs for. The king is dead, long live the king.

I'm not at all writing "the case FOR LvG" here, but he can't do any more damage to our style than he already has. At least he's bringing young players through and is trimming the over the hill squaddies. That said, there are other managers that could do that, it's not exactly a unique part of his foolosophy. But chopping and changing plays into the whole "narrative" shite that leaves the sort of stench that lingers round Pool and Chelski. Their clubs are in constant transition and although Abramovich has brought plenty of trophies, it's just constant nauseating "who's next?" bollocks that has nothing to do with football. In a lot of ways, I think my old man was right when he threw in the towel out of principle after Moyes got sacked. I'm not sure he'll be around for the next time we have a stable manager, certainly not for the next time we've got something special happening.

As for Rooney. This isn't a loss of form, ffs. There's no amount of captaincy stripping and boots up arses that are rescuing him from this. It's over. On his shoulders now to change his game like Giggsy and Scholesy did before him - looking at a bit-part role at best under the next manager... If he hasn't already fucked off to Florida to play for Becks.
swampash
Legend

3 years ago

Trouble is, Felwin, I can't see LVG changing his style of play. He's too arrogant.
I suspect a lot of it goes back to his time as a player - if I remember correctly he never made it into the first team at Ajax, as he was thought to be too slow. His style of play seems to be an attempt to show you don't need speed as a midfielder, you just keep the ball. I wonder how much of his 'philosophy' is really trying to prove to the world that he was wrongly judged as a player?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

3 years ago

I don't think you can repair clubs mid season and I wouldn't be in favour of buying in January. The sort of players we need won't be available.

I'd get shut of Van Gaal and let Giggs have a go until the end of the season.
Felwin
First Teamer

3 years ago

swampash wrote:Trouble is, Felwin, I can't see LVG changing his style of play. He's too arrogant.
I suspect a lot of it goes back to his time as a player - if I remember correctly he never made it into the first team at Ajax, as he was thought to be too slow. His style of play seems to be an attempt to show you don't need speed as a midfielder, you just keep the ball. I wonder how much of his 'philosophy' is really trying to prove to the world that he was wrongly judged as a player?
His style is actually out of touch, tbf. In the 90's/00's he was making teams look modern and tactical, but the PL is all about pace, intelligence out wide and efficient counters. United are lacking in that so it's almost "fair play" that we look slow and dull, but this is clearly how LvG wants to play so will we even be buying faster players with an eye for a forward pass?

Not sure about him trying to prove anything about slow play, he's just focused on the stats so much that he loses sight of the reality. It's obvious when he gives it all this "we were dominant" and "just didn't get the winning goal" when in reality we looked abysmal and couldn't consistently break down a second rate defence.
Red legend
Star Man

3 years ago

Mumford wrote:
redzebs wrote:Stop confusing the players with supper club possession meetings would be a start, I'm sure Giggs is going what th fuck is the craic with all this shite.

Interestingly, did you see Giggs get into, a let's say earnest debate with LVG over subs then get into what looked like a bit of a Barney with one of his assistants?
Agree with stopping the twice a day sessions, last thing you want to do after a morning session is turn out again in the afternoon/evening, thats time to be at home with the wife/kids or shagging a granny.

Agree also with stripping Rooney of the captaincy, Smalling should also be stripped of V Captain, need someone with balls who will tell LVG how it is and how the players feel.
Give Schweinstieger the armband with Herrera as his deputy, those are the two ( for me ) showing the most passion at the mo.

LVG needs to drop this philosophy crap, the players haven't bought into it, the game is about winning, not fucking passing the ball backwards & forwards for 90mins.

The only reason we need to buy in january is because of injuries, and it looks like the academy isn't producing the players we need, tbf it hasn't for years so something needs addressing there too.
A bid for Stones wouldn't go amiss, but Everton would rape our arses to get him, he would walk straight into the team, at the moment there's no competition for places, so players get picked because they are fit not because they merit it.

Van Gaal will never place captaincy with someone who has the balls to stand up to him, because sadly, someone who does that would never play in his team . He wouldn't allow it.
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

Mark Hughes in, Zlatan free transfer, make Herrera a must start, sign another midfielder and a worldie pacey player who is proven and get the ducks in a row for the summer to sign another centre forward and aforementioned midfielder if we can't get him in Jan.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

3 years ago

Mark Hughes is a decent shout. He's done a good job wherever he's been really, he knows the club, he knows the league, he's a popular figure among fans.
kunal4622
First Teamer

3 years ago

We need a modern young manager and proven premiership players with legs & hunger rather than Bale, Ronaldo etc. hollywood signing. Hungry players, hungry manager will see at least start fighting for the ball & will earn the club some respect. No bullshit tactics or philosophy but a clear message, win the ball & run towards the goal.. I would rather go with manager like Pochettino & that Bournemouth manager than Ancelotti. United also need to look at their scouting network as how they have missed so many young english players that Spurs, Southampton and Everton are signing.
Mumford
First Teamer

3 years ago

Can you put 100% of he blame on LVG though, Giggs knows the Prem, FFS he thought of it ( didn't he) surely Van Gaal ha to listen to Giggs, or is he that arrogant he thinks he doesn't need to.

Woodank is the real bloke in charge, and I'd guess his neck is on the block too, if I were him, I'd be bolocking him some thing chronic after the last two league games, and tell him to forget his philosophies or fuck off.
Take all the courage you have left
And waste it on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head
Sid
Legend

3 years ago

Kunal, every manager has a philosophy. A philosophy is just a way of playing, and you need a way of playing if you're picking a team

I know fans don't like to hear it but United has a philosophy as well, and it's very very strong, tied in with the brand, so the new manager has to conform to that a bit, or a lot.

"With the ball and run towards the goal" is massively simplistic

Pochettino won't give you that either. Remember he has been heavily criticised up until recently for playing boring solid football. He almost got the boot last season when it was grim. It's only in the last couple of months that Spurs have started looking better. But the main plaudits he is getting is for making Spurs more resiliant, were before they crumbled like wimps. So it's built on a solid foundation. And we don't need that, we're already solid. We need creativity. So I think if you don't like Gaal then you won't like Pochettino.
Last edited by Sid on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.