Fellaini

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

6 years ago

He wasn't that overpriced really, anything less than 20M would have been a bargain. He's a good quality, well-rounded midfielder proven in the premiership and at international level. I'm just glad we got him instead of Chelsea. Their transfer policy is madness -- instead of Fellaini, who would have worked perfectly with Ramires or Lampard in their central midfield two, they bought yet another attacking midfielder, Willian. There's no way that's the choice Mourinho would have made if he had any input into their transfers.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

6 years ago

Spudiator wrote:I baulked at Fellaini's price too at first, but the thought does occur that, in this day and age, that's probably about the going rate for a decent midfielder. Chelsea and City have skewed the transfer market wildly in recent years, and football inflation is far in excess of real-world inflation. It's still a lot of money for a player like him, but if he improves the midfield and frees Rooney and Kagawa to deploy more creative, attacking positions then it can only be a good thing.
the going rate for fellaini was 23m
lkhm

hoofing
Spudiator
Star Man

6 years ago

It was before his release clause lapsed, but as much as I know you like to bitch and whine about Moyes getting the United job like some spoiled, over-priveliged twat, he wasn't in charge of the negotiations, he just picked out the targets. Even if by some unlikeliness Fellaini went on to win player of the year you'd still bitch about him not being good enough.
dozer
Legend

6 years ago

RobDiablo wrote:
dozer wrote:You haven't noticed any great amount of ball-winning by Fellaini in the last game?!
Shocking.
I suspect you've seen Rooney win a lot of tackles however. 8-}
And I suspect you've seen a lot of Fellaini's pubic hair when you brush your teeth in the morning. If you want me to worship him as you do, you're going to have to provide a better reason than a daft emoticon; try those statistics I was asking for.
I'm not digging out stats for your retarded point you dumb cunt. And I'm not asking you to worship him either.
It's like saying 'I have not noticed any goals by Rooney and Van Persie in the last few games, can I have stats to convince me please?'
You don't think he played well? Fine. You're saying you haven't seen him winn the ball? Watch the fucking game ffs.
dozer
Legend

6 years ago

Anantax wrote:
RobDiablo wrote:I would like to see Fellaini's detailed stats for the Bayer Leverkusen match, because, unlike some, I am not seeing the second coming of Roy Keane. So far, Fellaini has seemed to me to be exactly what I expected him to be: an incremental rather than a quantum improvement in midfield. I have not noticed any great amount of ball-winning or incisive passing in the two matches against inferior sides. Yesterday, I thought that, beside the one very nice pass to create a scoring opportunity, most of Fellaini's passes were either square or back passes. Against Palace, Anderson had a similar defense-unlocking pass, but I haven't seen any mention of it in the deserved condemnation of his overall game. I am aware that most people—including me—see what they expect to see, so I think the detailed stats would be helpful in evaluating Fellaini's contribution in last night's match.
I dont think anyone, with the probable exception of dozer :) , would say he's the coming of Keane. Tbf I dont think most people here would consider ANY midfielder the second comign of Keane.

Anyways the point in this thread is just that: that two games in is too early to judge whether he's a good signing or not, with or without stats. We need to give him at least most of the season

But I also would definitely admit the early signs are looking good...
When I said Keane I meant that he'd be effective with an equivalent class and quality in terms of his general gameplay and abilities. As a captain, leader etc, I don't know.
RobDiablo
Legend

6 years ago

dozer wrote:I'm not digging out stats for your retarded point you dumb cunt.

I bet you would if they supported your claims.
dozer wrote:It's like saying 'I have not noticed any goals by Rooney and Van Persie in the last few games, can I have stats to convince me please?' You don't think he played well? Fine. You're saying you haven't seen him winn the ball? Watch the fucking game ffs.
I said that I haven't seen him win the ball? Really? Read my fucking post, FFS.

I said I hadn't seen a lot of ball-winning or incisive passing from him, and I notice that you only attempt to correct me about the ball-winning. Let me clarify what I meant by ball-winning; I was talking about interceptions and tackles that result in United regaining possession, but it occurs to me that you might be talking about his aerial prowess. I do believe that he has won every header I've seen him go for, but since the majority of those headers ended up at the feet of opposition players, it seems a pointless stat to me. Not that Fellaini is entirely to blame for this; as ever, the United players seem wholly unprepared for the possibility that a header might come into their vicinity, are slow to react when it does, and usually end up not getting the ball.
dozer
Legend

6 years ago

Sorry, I don't need to dig out stats to see if he'd won the ball a lot, I watched the game.
Btw, that's the only point of yours I had an issue with. Incisive passing etc - that is more of a subjective opinion unless we see a pass that clearly leads to a goal attempt perhaps.
He won a good amount of tackles, made interceptions and won headers which led us back to winning and keepling possession. I'm not digging up stats mate. I don't even know where to look!
RobDiablo
Legend

6 years ago

dozer wrote:... Incisive passing etc - that is more of a subjective opinion...
Unlike, say, "a good amount of tackles".

Face it. We paid too much for a slightly above average midfielder who, it is quite possible, will never have a resell value equal to or greater than his purchase price (barring another bout of hyper-inflation, of course). We could have signed him to a five year deal with a £20M buy-out clause should any top four side from any of the major European leagues come in for him, and we'd never have to worry about losing him. Sure, due to the absence of midfielders like Vieira, Petit, Makalele, Bollock, and younger versions of Essien and Gerrard in the Premiership, our CM pairing of Scholes Lite & Keane Zero will not often be challenged in the league, but they certainly won't make us contenders for the European crown.
marlon
Legend

6 years ago

All the transfer talk since the window shut has been that we're still looking to sign another CM - I don't think Fellaini was all Moyes wanted - seems like he always wanted him, but with another. I wonder who will get dropped if we do sign someone else. Carrick, or Fellaini?
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

6 years ago

Well the press seem to think Juve are in for Anderson.
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."