Fellaini

Manchester United chat
User avatar
brianofnazarethffs
Legend
Posts: 4180
Joined: 6 years ago

6 years ago

I must admit he might be what we need looking at him last night. Rooney definitely benefitted!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...


Rant's official saviour and International Lovemaker to the Stars
User avatar
RobDiablo
Legend
Posts: 1153
Joined: 6 years ago

6 years ago

I would like to see Fellaini's detailed stats for the Bayer Leverkusen match, because, unlike some, I am not seeing the second coming of Roy Keane. So far, Fellaini has seemed to me to be exactly what I expected him to be: an incremental rather than a quantum improvement in midfield. I have not noticed any great amount of ball-winning or incisive passing in the two matches against inferior sides. Yesterday, I thought that, beside the one very nice pass to create a scoring opportunity, most of Fellaini's passes were either square or back passes. Against Palace, Anderson had a similar defense-unlocking pass, but I haven't seen any mention of it in the deserved condemnation of his overall game. I am aware that most people—including me—see what they expect to see, so I think the detailed stats would be helpful in evaluating Fellaini's contribution in last night's match.
User avatar
marlon
Legend
Posts: 5325
Joined: 6 years ago

6 years ago

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/5- ... per-anchor

Leverkusen had their two best CMs (Bender, Castro) out, so it wasn't much of a test. I think what he offers over the others is flexibility. If we need to defend for 80 mins, he can do that. If we're chasing a game and want to go more direct, he can do that too. For most of the time, he won't be the difference maker, he'll hopefully be the guy who allows the 4 attackers a little more freedom.
User avatar
dozer
Legend
Posts: 5163
Joined: 6 years ago

6 years ago

RobDiablo wrote:I would like to see Fellaini's detailed stats for the Bayer Leverkusen match, because, unlike some, I am not seeing the second coming of Roy Keane. So far, Fellaini has seemed to me to be exactly what I expected him to be: an incremental rather than a quantum improvement in midfield. I have not noticed any great amount of ball-winning or incisive passing in the two matches against inferior sides. Yesterday, I thought that, beside the one very nice pass to create a scoring opportunity, most of Fellaini's passes were either square or back passes. Against Palace, Anderson had a similar defense-unlocking pass, but I haven't seen any mention of it in the deserved condemnation of his overall game. I am aware that most people—including me—see what they expect to see, so I think the detailed stats would be helpful in evaluating Fellaini's contribution in last night's match.
You haven't noticed any great amount of ball-winning by Fellaini in the last game?!
Shocking.
I suspect you've seen Rooney win a lot of tackles however. 8-}
User avatar
RobDiablo
Legend
Posts: 1153
Joined: 6 years ago

6 years ago

dozer wrote:You haven't noticed any great amount of ball-winning by Fellaini in the last game?!
Shocking.
I suspect you've seen Rooney win a lot of tackles however. 8-}
And I suspect you've seen a lot of Fellaini's pubic hair when you brush your teeth in the morning. If you want me to worship him as you do, you're going to have to provide a better reason than a daft emoticon; try those statistics I was asking for.
User avatar
captainhormone
Star Man
Posts: 938
Joined: 6 years ago

6 years ago

Dozer fellaini wanted to know whether you spit or swallow
Lkhm

Hoofing

Quality Red.
User avatar
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend
Posts: 5149
Joined: 6 years ago

6 years ago

the new cal and cattermole
lkhm

hoofing
User avatar
Anantax
Legend
Posts: 1001
Joined: 6 years ago

6 years ago

RobDiablo wrote:I would like to see Fellaini's detailed stats for the Bayer Leverkusen match, because, unlike some, I am not seeing the second coming of Roy Keane. So far, Fellaini has seemed to me to be exactly what I expected him to be: an incremental rather than a quantum improvement in midfield. I have not noticed any great amount of ball-winning or incisive passing in the two matches against inferior sides. Yesterday, I thought that, beside the one very nice pass to create a scoring opportunity, most of Fellaini's passes were either square or back passes. Against Palace, Anderson had a similar defense-unlocking pass, but I haven't seen any mention of it in the deserved condemnation of his overall game. I am aware that most people—including me—see what they expect to see, so I think the detailed stats would be helpful in evaluating Fellaini's contribution in last night's match.
I dont think anyone, with the probable exception of dozer :) , would say he's the coming of Keane. Tbf I dont think most people here would consider ANY midfielder the second comign of Keane.

Anyways the point in this thread is just that: that two games in is too early to judge whether he's a good signing or not, with or without stats. We need to give him at least most of the season

But I also would definitely admit the early signs are looking good...
User avatar
RobDiablo
Legend
Posts: 1153
Joined: 6 years ago

6 years ago

Anantax wrote:... that two games in is too early to judge whether he's a good signing or not, with or without stats. We need to give him at least most of the season

But I also would definitely admit the early signs are looking good...
My question is: by what criteria do you plan to judge whether or not Fellaini was a good signing? If being better than Anderson and Cleverley is all one is looking for, then he is bound to be a success. I never doubted that he would improve our midfield, but I did (and continue to) doubt that he could be worth £23.5M; unfortunately, we decided to pay £27.5M for him.

Strangely, it could work out that Fellaini falls short of being worth his purchase price as a player, but still be a good buy. If they stay healthy, and he and Carrick form the kind of midfield partnership that helps United take maximum points from matches with sides outside the top six, United could win the league, something I don't think was going to happen without improvements being made to the midfield this summer. What price would we put on winning No. 21? City spent at least £250M buying their first Premiership title, and they and Cheatsea have spent about £100M each this summer, so if we could win having spent only £27.5M on refreshing the squad, we'd have to consider that a bargain.
Spudiator
Star Man
Posts: 736
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Horsham

6 years ago

I baulked at Fellaini's price too at first, but the thought does occur that, in this day and age, that's probably about the going rate for a decent midfielder. Chelsea and City have skewed the transfer market wildly in recent years, and football inflation is far in excess of real-world inflation. It's still a lot of money for a player like him, but if he improves the midfield and frees Rooney and Kagawa to deploy more creative, attacking positions then it can only be a good thing.
Post Reply