Do you want to give LVG this summer or have we seen enough..

Manchester United chat
marlon
Legend

4 years ago

Well we didn't sack Moyes because 7th was a reasonable position considering the players we had.
tom
First Teamer

4 years ago

Look, I'm not saying this year couldn't have been better. But I honestly am nonplussed by all the people that seriously consider LVG to be some deluded charlatan... Bloke has some pedigree. And I just don't see how people are willing to write him off for some day dream about getting Klopp in.

A few weeks ago we twatted City, and the dippers. We've played plenty of decent football this season, just not consistently.

How many managers would you back to get champions league qualification with Valencia at right back, three average and constantly crocked centre backs, Ashley young as their best winger(!), a bunch of misfiring strikers, and a midfield that seems entirely reliant on the presence of a 35 year old Carrick?

I'm not saying he's manager of the century, or manager of the fucking year. I'm saying we could have been much worse served. And let's not lay the blame for the "150 million in transfers" at van Gaal's feet. I highly fucking doubt he was chasing Falcao, that reeks of Woodward marquee signing. And half the other transfers were done deals long before LVG arrived I'd suspect. Shaw and Herrera for instance.

It's all a moot point because I'd bet my bottom dollar that he's still gonna be here next season unless we fail to qualify for the CL... Which, despite a lot of doom and gloom on this forum, is nigh on an impossibility.

Yeh, he fucked about with three at the back for too long - but we haven't seen that formation for six months. The man himself never claimed to be an instant fix - and god knows we were in a state when he took over.
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

On here I've only ever seen people go back to what Gaal did with Holland at the World Cup which was "only" the semi's, and they played crap football which is what you do when you can only work with what you've got and you're playing with a nation on your back in the biggest competition in the world

They don't look at what he achieved in Spain, Netherlands, Germany

Because we don't really care what people do abroad, they have to do it in the Prem. It's that old arrogant "yeah but he hasn't done it in the best league in the world has he"

I like the line "he comes with a big reputation" which is them basically saying "I know nothing about what he has done in the last 25 years because I only watch 4 teams in the Premier League, 1 of them regularly"
redzebs
Legend

4 years ago

Sid wrote:On here I've only ever seen people go back to what Gaal did with Holland at the World Cup which was "only" the semi's, and they played crap football which is what you do when you can only work with what you've got and you're playing with a nation on your back in the biggest competition in the world

Because we don't really care what people do abroad, they have to do it in the Prem. It's that old arrogant "yeah but he hasn't done it in the best league in the world has he"

I like the line "he comes with a big reputation" which is them basically saying "I know nothing about what he has done in the last 25 years because I only watch 4 teams in the Premier League, 1 of them regularly"

Errr, cause we play in the Prem, apart from Danni, who is a cunt anyway, this is a pretty reasonable debate, stop being so elitist if people don't know the managers whole background, did you watch every Erdivision game when he was manager of two clubs? If you did, fair play, if you didnt, wind your neck in, people have a right to be fucked off that we got done three on the spin without a goal scored. Stop gloating, if he was English you'd be on about all the Lion Hearts turning their backs etc etc ad naseum
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
Anantax
Legend

4 years ago

If we dont make 4th he should be sacked immediately

I agree with many here who says that LvG is too stubborn for his own good. I agree with many who says that this philosophy of him might not be the answer, in the PL anyway. I also agree its probably net negative for next season if we have to start over with a new manager again.

But Let me offer another angle of argument why we shoudnt sack him if we do make 4th.
If he did make 4th, i think it would actually be BAD for United long term if we still sacked him. 4th was the clear and very public target this season. If a manager achieved it, and is still sacked, I think it will give doubts to any top pedigree manager to come join us. I think this is especially important as we know he will retire in a few years.

If you were a star employee being approached by many good companies, would you join a company that you know will still sack you even though you meet your target?
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

tom wrote:Look, I'm not saying this year couldn't have been better. But I honestly am nonplussed by all the people that seriously consider LVG to be some deluded charlatan... Bloke has some pedigree. And I just don't see how people are willing to write him off for some day dream about getting Klopp in.

A few weeks ago we twatted City, and the dippers. We've played plenty of decent football this season, just not consistently.

How many managers would you back to get champions league qualification with Valencia at right back, three average and constantly crocked centre backs, Ashley young as their best winger(!), a bunch of misfiring strikers, and a midfield that seems entirely reliant on the presence of a 35 year old Carrick?

I'm not saying he's manager of the century, or manager of the fucking year. I'm saying we could have been much worse served. And let's not lay the blame for the "150 million in transfers" at van Gaal's feet. I highly fucking doubt he was chasing Falcao, that reeks of Woodward marquee signing. And half the other transfers were done deals long before LVG arrived I'd suspect. Shaw and Herrera for instance.

It's all a moot point because I'd bet my bottom dollar that he's still gonna be here next season unless we fail to qualify for the CL... Which, despite a lot of doom and gloom on this forum, is nigh on an impossibility.

Yeh, he fucked about with three at the back for too long - but we haven't seen that formation for six months. The man himself never claimed to be an instant fix - and god knows we were in a state when he took over.
"Deluded charlatan" is a bit off the mark... don't see anyone saying that... but self indulgent, eccentric, just plain fuckin weird at times???

Look... start of the year and everyone was agreed that top 4 would be satisfactory... but I think it was a given that we'd also be satisfied at our progress, in getting there... you have to admit, that right now, we look no better than we did 6 months ago... we took two steps forward, and two steps back, and we're finishing the season in desperate fashion, not on the up...

Some think Looey should be sacked, I wouldn't go that far, but I don't think it's out of bounds either... he hasn't really impressed anyone... he was given a ton of cash, a half decent platform to start, the freedom to do what he wanted, and a full season to make a statement... and the only statement I can see is, we wasted most of the money he was given, he needs a fuckin shit load more, and then we'll see what happens... we'll see... that's not good enough mate...

We should by now be feeling confident that he's got a plan... confident that the money he gets is going to take us to the next step, not fix the step that we just fucked up...

4th is a good enough finish for this year, but I'm not happy with Looey at all, and I've no confidence in what next year offers, based on this year...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Lazarus
Legend

4 years ago

Imagine what would have happened if Falcao or Maria had played at 50% of their potential, Jose buys Costa and he beasts the start of the season (well most of the season), we end up with two players who do fuck all and Rooney in midfield and RVP injured. All in all, if we make 4th it hasn't been the worst first season ever. What the fuck goes on in his head at times i don't know but he's been different. I fully expect a much better season next year....... Leading to a Giggs take over two years from now........
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

redzebs wrote:
Sid wrote:On here I've only ever seen people go back to what Gaal did with Holland at the World Cup which was "only" the semi's, and they played crap football which is what you do when you can only work with what you've got and you're playing with a nation on your back in the biggest competition in the world

Errr, cause we play in the Prem, apart from Danni, who is a cunt anyway, this is a pretty reasonable debate, stop being so elitist if people don't know the managers whole background, did you watch every Erdivision game when he was manager of two clubs? If you did, fair play, if you didnt, wind your neck in, people have a right to be fucked off that we got done three on the spin without a goal scored. Stop gloating, if he was English you'd be on about all the Lion Hearts turning their backs etc etc ad naseum
You don't have to watch every game he's ever managed but you do have to take into account everything he has done in football pre World Cup if you're going to bring some content to the debate, and not just sound like an arrogant Martin Keown who dismisses all this relevant stuff so he can argue on his terms, which is "yeah but he hasn't done it in the Prem before"

Gaal's reputation is justified. If he can't do it then it's us that is the problem, and the board should give us what we want whichis Klopp or a Top Red like Giggs in charge so we can play 442 with Kanchelskis on the wing.
bman2
Legend

4 years ago

No one is saying he's a rubbish manager ffs, his record speaks for itself. But there has been a glaring problem in our game even when everything was going well: we don't create enough chances or take enough shots. We got good results because for a while we had an above-average goals per shot ratio. Now our goals per shot ratio is returning to the mean, which is likely over the course of a season, and so now we're not scoring any goals. In the first half of the season van Persie would have taken one of his chances, but now he's rusty, so he didn't. But even though we were losing the game and controlling possession, we still hardly worked any chances for him during the last half hour.

That's what drives me absolutely spare: when we tied or losing a match, dominating possession, and DOING FUCK ALL WITH IT. I totally respect the possession game, but when you're in that situation, you have to be able to kick it up a level, switch gears and take a few more chances in order to increase your own chances of scoring.

But to be fair to him, our squad is just not that good. We have very few players with the quality on the ball to pass it quickly. Our passing game is toothless in part because it's so fecking slow and predictable.
dozer
Legend

4 years ago

Lazarus wrote:Imagine what would have happened if Falcao or Maria had played at 50% of their potential, Jose buys Costa and he beasts the start of the season (well most of the season), we end up with two players who do fuck all and Rooney in midfield and RVP injured. All in all, if we make 4th it hasn't been the worst first season ever. What the fuck goes on in his head at times i don't know but he's been different. I fully expect a much better season next year....... Leading to a Giggs take over two years from now........
Yeah, tbf our big names have failed us.
Every team have those few big attacking players; none of ours have played well.
Di Maria, Falcao, RVP, Rooney - all have been poor.
Fellaini and Young have been the best of a bad bunch but still not good enough.