Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 4385
Joined: 5 years ago

4 years ago

dozer wrote:Yeah Hargreaves was somewhat good, and only in that season - and still, he was quite inconsistent.
His absence made him shine, he was never that good - like Fletcher, better than Fletcher and worse than the top midfielders around.
He had a phenomenal free kick and penalty mind.
I've read this half a dozen times now dozer, and I still don't understand it. Either I've had a large Linkwood too many, or you've been on the Punjab whacky backy.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Steggo
Legend
Posts: 1746
Joined: 6 years ago

4 years ago

swampash wrote:
dozer wrote:Yeah Hargreaves was somewhat good, and only in that season - and still, he was quite inconsistent.
His absence made him shine, he was never that good - like Fletcher, better than Fletcher and worse than the top midfielders around.
He had a phenomenal free kick and penalty mind.
I've read this half a dozen times now dozer, and I still don't understand it. Either I've had a large Linkwood too many, or you've been on the Punjab whacky backy.
I'm sending a copy to Bletchley Park.
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 4385
Joined: 5 years ago

4 years ago

Works for me!
This Linkwood is good, btw!
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
zzzzzds
First Teamer
Posts: 327
Joined: 5 years ago

4 years ago

swampash wrote:I'd like to see a CB too, but I wonder if LVG might be thinking that he's got enough cover at CB back already? Plenty of possible permutations available if Blind/Rojo/Carrick (?) can be pressed into CB service alongside Smalling; plus McNair and Blakkett coming through and Jones doesn't look like he's going anywhere either.
He also doesn't need to panic over GK, if Valdes is keen to fight for the slot.
Maybe he's building up to spending big on a striker?
Well if Louie is thinking that he's fucking wrong. Blind and Carrick are not natural CB's and are only used there to cover injuries. Rojo, Smalling and Jones all need to have an experienced CB to play alongside them. None of them have shown that they can lead a defence. Then you have Blackett and McNair who are even less experienced than the other three. So we definitely are not covered properly at CB. The fact that this hasn't been sorted before the tour is a bit worrying unless he wants Otamendi who would have been unavailable anyway after Copa America.
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 4385
Joined: 5 years ago

4 years ago

Was shooting the shit with a bunch of Bayern mates earlier today and they are
a) pretty fucked off that Schweini has gone, and blame Guardiola for it
b) reckon the chances of Muller now going are raised because he's got a pretty poor relationship with Guardiola and is very close to Schweini.
Proves nothing, but interesting nonetheless.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 4385
Joined: 5 years ago

4 years ago

zzzzzds wrote:
swampash wrote:I'd like to see a CB too, but I wonder if LVG might be thinking that he's got enough cover at CB back already? Plenty of possible permutations available if Blind/Rojo/Carrick (?) can be pressed into CB service alongside Smalling; plus McNair and Blakkett coming through and Jones doesn't look like he's going anywhere either.
He also doesn't need to panic over GK, if Valdes is keen to fight for the slot.
Maybe he's building up to spending big on a striker?
Well if Louie is thinking that he's fucking wrong. Blind and Carrick are not natural CB's and are only used there to cover injuries. Rojo, Smalling and Jones all need to have an experienced CB to play alongside them. None of them have shown that they can lead a defence. Then you have Blackett and McNair who are even less experienced than the other three. So we definitely are not covered properly at CB. The fact that this hasn't been sorted before the tour is a bit worrying unless he wants Otamendi who would have been unavailable anyway after Copa America.
He could, nonetheless, be thinking it.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
zzzzzds
First Teamer
Posts: 327
Joined: 5 years ago

4 years ago

swampash wrote:
zzzzzds wrote:
swampash wrote:I'd like to see a CB too, but I wonder if LVG might be thinking that he's got enough cover at CB back already? Plenty of possible permutations available if Blind/Rojo/Carrick (?) can be pressed into CB service alongside Smalling; plus McNair and Blakkett coming through and Jones doesn't look like he's going anywhere either.
He also doesn't need to panic over GK, if Valdes is keen to fight for the slot.
Maybe he's building up to spending big on a striker?
Well if Louie is thinking that he's fucking wrong. Blind and Carrick are not natural CB's and are only used there to cover injuries. Rojo, Smalling and Jones all need to have an experienced CB to play alongside them. None of them have shown that they can lead a defence. Then you have Blackett and McNair who are even less experienced than the other three. So we definitely are not covered properly at CB. The fact that this hasn't been sorted before the tour is a bit worrying unless he wants Otamendi who would have been unavailable anyway after Copa America.
He could, nonetheless, be thinking it.
Yes he could Swampy, especially since he's given Jones and Smalling new contracts and the fact that they should receive better protection with today's additions, but I hope not.
User avatar
swampash
Legend
Posts: 4385
Joined: 5 years ago

4 years ago

Any shit hot strikers that might not be able to join us on tour because they are playing in tournaments, but might actually be 'in the wings' as it were?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Davey-boy
Legend
Posts: 2895
Joined: 6 years ago

4 years ago

The Cavani stories are in a few papers again today
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 7397
Joined: 6 years ago

4 years ago

I think we might really end up with the following starting line-up:

Depay -- Cavani -- Gaitan
Schweini -- Herrera
Carrick
Blind -- Smalling -- Otamendi -- Darmian
GK??


Which is an absurd turnover of players in a single transfer window, but it does look like it's going that way. It's also feasible if we assume the club is willing to spend 100-150M net. I'd be much less enthusiastic about the forward area than the midfield and defensive signings, but it would probably be effective, and it's true that the current bunch of Rooney-Mata-Di Maria--Young has not been working in spite of how much I like some of those players.
Post Reply