Unrealistic summer transfer wankfest III

Manchester United chat
User avatar
brianofnazarethffs
Legend
Posts: 4487
Joined: 7 years ago

7 years ago

Rumours of a medical booked for tomorrow...
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...


Rant's official saviour, International Lovemaker to the Stars and prince of cunts
User avatar
RobDiablo
Legend
Posts: 1153
Joined: 7 years ago

7 years ago

Anantax wrote:
RobDiablo wrote:Let's see... You agree that the fans will not benefit from United refusing to overpay for players, but if it should, you think the fans will end up paying for it in "higher ticket prices, etc. etc." Hmmm, it seems that there is some benefit to the fans, if United pay as little as possible to sign a player.
I agreed with my undrstanding of his point that there is little or no downside for fans even if United overpays....which btw is different from saying there is no benefit from Utd refusing to overpay
That's just semantics.
Anantax wrote:I then simply presented another possible argument, force of habit of advocating for the devil perhaps....Guess should've made clear that I am not a big proponent of said possible argument...

But having thought about it for about another 15 seconds...the Glazers would raise ticket prices anyways if they think they can get away with it, regardless whether they've overpaid in tansfers or not....so guess I doubly agree with his original point!
When I first read what madmax wrote, I let it go because it was so obviously wrong that I assumed it was written not from a strongly held personal belief, but rather from an immediate anger over the lack of movement on the transfer front and the perception that United has, on several occasions, lost out on signings due to its haggling over relatively small sums.

Though most of them are not tangible, fans do derive benefits from United's frugality. If nothing else, not having my email inbox fill up with cheerfully facetious congratulations from all my non-United supporting friends (which is most of them) regarding the 'bargain' purchase of Fellaini for only £60M, strikes me as a great benefit. The possibility of failing to strengthen the side I support by buying two, high-quality CMs, because all the available funds were spent on Fellaini, seems like another good reason to be frugal. There are more benefits, and, if you give it more than 15 seconds of thought, you'll be able to come up with some of your own.
User avatar
marlon
Legend
Posts: 5515
Joined: 7 years ago

7 years ago

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Ozil.html

I know we probably won't get Fabregas or Ozil, but I like that we're still chasing big names. Getting Fellaini right now would be like the summer we spent chasing Sneijder and got Ashley Young instead.
User avatar
Anantax
Legend
Posts: 1001
Joined: 7 years ago

7 years ago

RobDiablo wrote:
Anantax wrote:
RobDiablo wrote:Let's see... You agree that the fans will not benefit from United refusing to overpay for players, but if it should, you think the fans will end up paying for it in "higher ticket prices, etc. etc." Hmmm, it seems that there is some benefit to the fans, if United pay as little as possible to sign a player.
I agreed with my undrstanding of his point that there is little or no downside for fans even if United overpays....which btw is different from saying there is no benefit from Utd refusing to overpay
That's just semantics.
Anantax wrote:I then simply presented another possible argument, force of habit of advocating for the devil perhaps....Guess should've made clear that I am not a big proponent of said possible argument...

But having thought about it for about another 15 seconds...the Glazers would raise ticket prices anyways if they think they can get away with it, regardless whether they've overpaid in tansfers or not....so guess I doubly agree with his original point!
When I first read what madmax wrote, I let it go because it was so obviously wrong that I assumed it was written not from a strongly held personal belief, but rather from an immediate anger over the lack of movement on the transfer front and the perception that United has, on several occasions, lost out on signings due to its haggling over relatively small sums.

Though most of them are not tangible, fans do derive benefits from United's frugality. If nothing else, not having my email inbox fill up with cheerfully facetious congratulations from all my non-United supporting friends (which is most of them) regarding the 'bargain' purchase of Fellaini for only £60M, strikes me as a great benefit. The possibility of failing to strengthen the side I support by buying two, high-quality CMs, because all the available funds were spent on Fellaini, seems like another good reason to be frugal. There are more benefits, and, if you give it more than 15 seconds of thought, you'll be able to come up with some of your own.
You're probably right although tbf cant be bothered to spend more than 15 seconds thinking about this...many transfer headlines to look longingly at... ;)

However, from a purely personal opinion, I could care less how much we spend, within a reasonable range, as long as we upgrade the team.

In other words, while buying Fellaini for 60m would be obviously wrong, i personally could care less whether we buy Fellaini for 22 or 25 or 30million...as long as it betters the team...

Wether or not Fellainin betters the team is of course subject to debate but lets not rehash that now...
User avatar
madmax
Star Man
Posts: 587
Joined: 7 years ago

7 years ago

RobDiablo wrote: When I first read what madmax wrote, I let it go because it was so obviously wrong that I assumed it was written not from a strongly held personal belief, but rather from an immediate anger over the lack of movement on the transfer front and the perception that United has, on several occasions, lost out on signings due to its haggling over relatively small sums.
I really don't care how much the club spends on a player or how much Rooney earns. Why is it obviously wrong? I can understand the club not wanting to spend more. It's a cash cow and the Glazer's would hate to spend money on something that has no value to them. But why does it matter to the fans? United has been consistently among the highest revenue generating clubs in the world and still the fans get no benefit at all. Each year new shirts, consistently rising ticket prices etc There is new tv money coming in and a truck load of new sponsorship's this season have you even a tiny bit of it given back to the fans? ffs even Stoke City are doing something for their fans.
User avatar
Pikey McScum
Legend
Posts: 1019
Joined: 7 years ago

7 years ago

Why have we been linked with this guy???

Image

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -hunt.html
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015
User avatar
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend
Posts: 13448
Joined: 7 years ago

7 years ago

marlon wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Ozil.html

I know we probably won't get Fabregas or Ozil, but I like that we're still chasing big names. Getting Fellaini right now would be like the summer we spent chasing Sneijder and got Ashley Young instead.
FOR FUCK SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
User avatar
RobDiablo
Legend
Posts: 1153
Joined: 7 years ago

7 years ago

madmax wrote:I really don't care how much the club spends on a player or how much Rooney earns. Why is it obviously wrong? I can understand the club not wanting to spend more. It's a cash cow and the Glazer's would hate to spend money on something that has no value to them. But why does it matter to the fans? United has been consistently among the highest revenue generating clubs in the world and still the fans get no benefit at all. Each year new shirts, consistently rising ticket prices etc There is new tv money coming in and a truck load of new sponsorship's this season have you even a tiny bit of it given back to the fans? ffs even Stoke City are doing something for their fans.
I understand your point, but surely you would concede, as Anantax has, that there is an acceptable range when considering a player's purchase price, and £60M for Fellaini is ridiculously extravagant. Also, you might want to consult with Leeds, Portsmouth, and even Liverpool and QPR supporters about the joys of supporting a club that overspends on mediocre players.
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24416
Joined: 7 years ago

7 years ago

Didn't Moyes say we're close to signing some players

Where are they then, or was it just to shift season tickets
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 7706
Joined: 7 years ago

7 years ago

The lack of new players is the biggest problem, but it's the fact we haven't offloaded any of the obvious dross that suggests to me that our transfer apparatus is completely fucked at the moment. I mean, you can comprehend not landing some big fish, but it looks like nothing is happening at all in terms of players either coming or going.
Post Reply