what is this fucking philosophy then

Manchester United chat
lars072
Legend

6 years ago

Lazarus wrote:Hope it's two years then out the door. That won't be long sorting egos out.
We have way too many mediocre, one-dimensional players who have been sitting on their arses collecting a pay check just happy they are playing at a club like United. That will change quickly
Twisted Blood
First Teamer

6 years ago

Mata, DDG, RVP, Rojo, Blind, Herrera and ADM can probably handle the 3-5-2 philosophy. So LvG just has to buy 4 more players, clear out the others and we're sorted. Simple.
swampash
Legend

6 years ago

But is he going to stick with 3-5-2? Surely that is just a stop-gap until he can get a 4-3-3 functioning regularly, then just revert to 3-5-2 when we need to strangle the big boys?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Felwin
First Teamer

6 years ago

A key tenet of LvG's philosophy in the past is a Centre Half that steps into the midfield, with one or two mids that are prepared to cover his movement. He has usually used a back four, that allows this to work because the other defender in the pair sits and mops things up.

I'm not sure the 3-5-2 is here to stay. He has said himself that it was the best option with the players available to him. Now he's changed the squad and given himself more options, he might move back towards his 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.
Twisted Blood
First Teamer

6 years ago

Twisted Blood wrote:Mata, DDG, RVP, Rojo, Blind, Herrera and ADM can probably handle the 3-5-2 philosophy. So LvG just has to buy 4 more players, clear out the others and we're sorted. Simple.
Only need to buy 3 now......
Calvino
Reserves

6 years ago

He had better move back to the four. This 3 at the back thing is driving me mad. Even when he won the CL and UEFA cup before at Ajax he used 4 at the back. This rubbish now makes no sense. A team lacking in confidence why don't you just do what is absolutely natural to them first? And then when you settle start introducing new things.

He is too stubborn. This man used Luis Enrique as RB against Ryan Giggs against us in '98 and then a central defence of Okunowo and Reizeger for Barca. Lunatic.
RobDiablo
Legend

6 years ago

Felwin wrote:I'm not sure the 3-5-2 is here to stay. He has said himself that it was the best option with the players available to him. Now he's changed the squad and given himself more options, he might move back towards his 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.
I'd feel better about the possibility of change if United wasn't playing a 3-5-2 in the Under-21s and, probably, all the way down the academy. Perhaps van Gaal feels that defenders, having learned their trade in a three at the back system, will find it easier to adapt to playing with four at the back than if they were going the other way.
Felwin
First Teamer

6 years ago

RobDiablo wrote:I'd feel better about the possibility of change if United wasn't playing a 3-5-2 in the Under-21s and, probably, all the way down the academy. Perhaps van Gaal feels that defenders, having learned their trade in a three at the back system, will find it easier to adapt to playing with four at the back than if they were going the other way.
That's a good point. The shock of having no cover out wide is much greater than the shock of having to switch into a pair of central defenders.
danniitronix
Legend

6 years ago

Another formation thread. Can't you toss each other off on a single thread? You're obsessed and as for the quality, ffs, I've seen Robbie Savage with better insights than the dog poo peddled by some of you.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

6 years ago

who said anything about formations tbf
lkhm

hoofing