Louis Van Gaal

Manchester United chat
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

marlon wrote:
2 months ago
His press was crap, teams ran straight though us.
No it wasn't, we got the ball back all the time, we just didn't do anything with it, that was the problem

If we're going to get back in the top 4 we have to press
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

2 months ago

Didn't Pep model a lot of his coaching philosophy on Van Gaal?

At the time I wanted Gaal out. His football was dull as dishwater but there were principles that you can see aligning to how the top sides play. High press, retention of the ball, making the pitch as big as possible. Our performance at Anfield under him was the best I've ever seen us play there.

He wasn't blameless and time softens your memory, but perhaps if he'd been able to add more creativity to the side itd have made that subtle but crucial difference between a side that kept the ball but looked toothless, to one that could cut you open and then control games with the ball.

It's done though. We need to look forward.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

2 months ago

gaal laid the foundations, so really this is all his fault tbf
lkhm

hoofing
dozer
Legend

2 months ago

People are forgetting how crap Gaal was. And like most managers who failed, most of his signings were crap.
fat maradona
First Teamer

2 months ago

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:
2 months ago
Taggart laid the foundations way back, when he ass kissed the Glazers and didn't maintain the quality of the squad. Moyes and his successors all inherited a shite squad with a couple of decent players. So yeh, I blame Fergie for all this shite since we last won the league.

Problem with the LVG brand of football, we were too used to Fergie style and wanted more of the same and couldn't see that different could be as good or better. And so chased him out of town, thinking that Mourinho style would be better but we all knew, deep down, that Mourinho style didn't suit the club or fans. Anyway....
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
2 months ago
Didn't Pep model a lot of his coaching philosophy on Van Gaal?

At the time I wanted Gaal out. His football was dull as dishwater but there were principles that you can see aligning to how the top sides play. High press, retention of the ball, making the pitch as big as possible. Our performance at Anfield under him was the best I've ever seen us play there.

He wasn't blameless and time softens your memory, but perhaps if he'd been able to add more creativity to the side itd have made that subtle but crucial difference between a side that kept the ball but looked toothless, to one that could cut you open and then control games with the ball.

It's done though. We need to look forward.
Yeah, so did Mourinho... both went off in vastly different directions. But the work Gaal did in the 90s with that Ajax team is one of the game changing moments in football, like total football, tiki taka etc and many have drawn ideas from it.
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

fat maradona wrote:
2 months ago
2 months ago
Taggart laid the foundations way back, when he ass kissed the Glazers and didn't maintain the quality of the squad. Moyes and his successors all inherited a shite squad with a couple of decent players. So yeh, I blame Fergie for all this shite since we last won the league.

Problem with the LVG brand of football, we were too used to Fergie style and wanted more of the same and couldn't see that different could be as good or better. And so chased him out of town, thinking that Mourinho style would be better but we all knew, deep down, that Mourinho style didn't suit the club or fans. Anyway....
I got 2 years of grief for pointing this out. During the Gaal rage I said we need to decide what we want from United, and the answer I got was attacking football, The United Way etc. Then you all backed fucking Mourinho :))

So I said but he plays shit football, and I got set upon for 2 and a half years - while we played shit football - resulting in bans and cowards like Alf running away. Now we're back to square one. It's been a long 5 years but it's nice to be vindicated :D

Now we're fucking shite I can pose the question again without being set upon - what do you want from United? Tbf we're not in a luxury position to talk about styles or philosophies, it's just a case of getting back into the top 4.
fat maradona
First Teamer

2 months ago

Sid wrote:
2 months ago
fat maradona wrote:
2 months ago
2 months ago

I got 2 years of grief for pointing this out. During the Gaal rage I said we need to decide what we want from United, and the answer I got was attacking football, The United Way etc. Then you all backed fucking Mourinho :))

So I said but he plays shit football, and I got set upon for 2 and a half years - while we played shit football - resulting in bans and cowards like Alf running away. Now we're back to square one. It's been a long 5 years but it's nice to be vindicated :D

Now we're fucking shite I can pose the question again without being set upon - what do you want from United? Tbf we're not in a luxury position to talk about styles or philosophies, it's just a case of getting back into the top 4.
Agreed, to be able to compete for top 4 consistently would be good. We were spoilt by top 2 finishes for 2 decades but it's not sustainable.

It'd be good for United to realise that the set up is old fashioned, to move ahead with the times and have a proper structure in place. The problem won't be fixed by throwing money at the squad alone.

Tbf, I was never an advocate of either successor to Moyes. I couldn't understand why we hadn't gone for Tuchel or Poch after Moyes but it went to show just how much United lacked a plan for the future.
Lazarus
Legend

2 months ago

Sid wrote:
2 months ago
fat maradona wrote:
2 months ago
2 months ago

Yo! Slow your roll. ........backed Mourinho......

I decided years ago what i want from United and nobody has done it. Us deciding what we want has fuck all to do with how we play or what happens. Either Ole will start improving us or he won't.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Sid
Legend

2 months ago

Lazarus wrote:
2 months ago
Sid wrote:
2 months ago
fat maradona wrote:
2 months ago
2 months ago

Yo! Slow your roll. ........backed Mourinho......

I decided years ago what i want from United and nobody has done it. Us deciding what we want has fuck all to do with how we play or what happens. Either Ole will start improving us or he won't.
Yeah you've remained consistent, Laz. Do you still want attacking football or would you sacrifice it just want to be in the top 4? Things have got worse since the last time I asked.