Louis Van Gaal

Manchester United chat
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

Ole is the only one whose managed to raise standards to acceptable level despite the circumstances imposed by the Glazers though
Sid
Legend

6 months ago

And with Jose, we now know (some of us knew all along) the team is there to beat top teams (Spurs, Chelsea, PSG), to play exciting football, score lots of goals and get us in the top 4

Jose had the squad he just couldn't adapt his dogshit dinosaur methods
Lazarus
Legend

5 months ago

Sid wrote:
6 months ago
And with Jose, we now know (some of us knew all along) the team is there to beat top teams (Spurs, Chelsea, PSG), to play exciting football, score lots of goals and get us in the top 4

Jose had the squad he just couldn't adapt his dogshit dinosaur methods
Funny what being happy can do.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
bman2
Legend

5 months ago

I think Gaal is right that we are still largely playing Jose ball, in the sense that we're reactive and best when we're counter-attacking. Our away results are better than our home results because we're less effective when we have more possession and dominate the play. But we're doing it with more risk and ambition, and the attacking players are given much more freedom to play. The enthusiasm of the players is one big difference.

I'm not sure if that's Solskjaer just being practical -- it probably wouldn't be much use trying to fundamentally change our playing style in the middle of a season.
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

bman2 wrote:
5 months ago
I think Gaal is right that we are still largely playing Jose ball, in the sense that we're reactive and best when we're counter-attacking. Our away results are better than our home results because we're less effective when we have more possession and dominate the play. But we're doing it with more risk and ambition, and the attacking players are given much more freedom to play. The enthusiasm of the players is one big difference.

I'm not sure if that's Solskjaer just being practical -- it probably wouldn't be much use trying to fundamentally change our playing style in the middle of a season.
Aye and Ole is working with a squad that was built by a reactive manager, so that's what we're going to get, he's just doing it in much more effective way than Jose because he's embraced modern ideas, like the high press we play now; challenging for the ball in the opposition half. It's the done thing in football. But Jose was too much of a dinosaur to do it. He preferred 11 players camped in a 20 yard space in front of our 18 yard box, then to hoof it to a shithouse. 6/7th is what you'll get if you play like Burnley.
bman2
Legend

5 months ago

dozer wrote:
6 months ago
"At the moment there is a structure with a scouting division and above that is someone at Woodward's right hand. The structure is not so bad but the right hand has to be a technical director with a football view, not somebody with a banker's role," Van Gaal says.
"Unfortunately, we are talking about a commercial club, not a football club. I spoke to Ferguson about this and in his last years, he also had problems with it."
It looks like the only person he really hates is Woodward.
That's pretty damning and rings true.
dozer
Legend

3 months ago

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -solskjaer

Gaal's interview with the Guardian. He's given his version of events.
sheesh
Legend

3 months ago

dozer wrote:
3 months ago
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -solskjaer

Gaal's interview with the Guardian. He's given his version of events.
Fantastic interview. Say what you like about LVG and Mourinho, but they're pointing out the same thing.

Woodward is a useless prick. I'd love to give him a slap around the head.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

3 months ago

Interesting, though not surprising comments. We know that we have some systemic flaws in our structure that are heavily impacting our chances of success.

What I would say though, is that neither Van Gaal or Mourinho helped to solve the problem. In fact, they took us back. It's easy to throw stones, but neither of them were effective with the tools they were given.
FuB
Legend

3 months ago

ashleyfuckingyoung wrote:
3 months ago
Interesting, though not surprising comments. We know that we have some systemic flaws in our structure that are heavily impacting our chances of success.

What I would say though, is that neither Van Gaal or Mourinho helped to solve the problem. In fact, they took us back. It's easy to throw stones, but neither of them were effective with the tools they were given.
a fair point but LVG seems to be saying he wasn't given the tools he wanted. I agree he's got to be at the least partly to blame but you can't give a top surgeon a hacksaw and some clothes pegs and then complain that they didn't sew you up very well.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit