Squad

Manchester United chat
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

redzebs wrote:
swampash wrote:
dozer wrote:Rooney's played in midfield quite a few times over the years and he's OK at best there. He's had a few good games occasionally but he's not a top midfielder.
So, Swampy, if we're getting a striker, Rooney must compete for the same role. Just like other players have to for their positions.
Like someone said, Angel Di Maria could move back to midfield. Depay and Young on the wings. Young has earned his place at least.
Di Maria is key next season. If he clicks we'll challenge for the title considering that he's always looking to do the ambitious, creative stuff. We know he'll get us a decent amount of assists even when he's at his worst.
Dozer - I totally disagree with you.
Lets say we get Muller and Schweinsteiger for the sake of an argument. If LVG wants to play 4 3 3 with a false 9, then what is wrong with him trying Di Maria, Muller and Depay on top, with Rooney Schweinsteiger and Herrera in the midfield? Until it's tried you could not know in advance that it would not work. Rooney will always give a 100% and if he is given a clear and consistent role to play in midfield, I personally think he's a good enough footballer to carry it off.

You are over complicating it, just play Rooney as a nine with a decent midfield and good wide men and he'll bang them in.

Or you can just keep getting Phil Jones to take corners.
I don't think I am complicating anything, actually. I want to see an overall improvement in the team. If that means changing someone's role, I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the thinking that says a good player can only play one role and if he isn't first choice for that role then fuck him off to the bench, instead of thinking creatively about how the team might be improved overall by playing that player in a different role.
What the fuck is wrong with that?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
redzebs
Legend

5 years ago

swampash wrote:
redzebs wrote:
swampash wrote:
dozer wrote:Rooney's played in midfield quite a few times over the years and he's OK at best there. He's had a few good games occasionally but he's not a top midfielder.
So, Swampy, if we're getting a striker, Rooney must compete for the same role. Just like other players have to for their positions.
Like someone said, Angel Di Maria could move back to midfield. Depay and Young on the wings. Young has earned his place at least.
Di Maria is key next season. If he clicks we'll challenge for the title considering that he's always looking to do the ambitious, creative stuff. We know he'll get us a decent amount of assists even when he's at his worst.
Dozer - I totally disagree with you.
Lets say we get Muller and Schweinsteiger for the sake of an argument. If LVG wants to play 4 3 3 with a false 9, then what is wrong with him trying Di Maria, Muller and Depay on top, with Rooney Schweinsteiger and Herrera in the midfield? Until it's tried you could not know in advance that it would not work. Rooney will always give a 100% and if he is given a clear and consistent role to play in midfield, I personally think he's a good enough footballer to carry it off.

You are over complicating it, just play Rooney as a nine with a decent midfield and good wide men and he'll bang them in.

Or you can just keep getting Phil Jones to take corners.
I don't think I am complicating anything, actually. I want to see an overall improvement in the team. If that means changing someone's role, I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the thinking that says a good player can only play one role and if he isn't first choice for that role then fuck him off to the bench, instead of thinking creatively about how the team might be improved overall by playing that player in a different role.
What the fuck is wrong with that?

Nothing per se, but putting a veteran striker whos been with us for a decade into midfield to try out some wingers and attacking midfielders upfront doesn't make sense.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

Then we will just have to agree to disagree about that and see what LVG does next season, which in turn is dependent on who comes in.
The thing that gets up my nose a bit is the total inflexibility of thought that comes from certain people here, especially when it comes to Rooney.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
redzebs
Legend

5 years ago

Balls mate, when Ronaldo was here, he played left to accommodate him, when we are playing shite, he is constantly dropping too deep, he's played on the left on the right as a 9 as a 10, as a cm, as a cdm, we don't need to try anybody else there if he's getting the proper service.

Oh and he's only been decent at 9 and 10, ADM was tried upfront last year and he was shite, play him in a midfield three if he gets as mojo back as thats his best position, its Mata Im worried about, he was shit in the middle, if we play 4 3 3 it'll be tough to see him getting a look in
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
mr8kc
Youth Teamer

5 years ago

I agree with that. Mata could be the one to miss out. Herrera looks to be coming on well, so hopefully he'll kick on again this year.

I hope RVP stays. I think if he does, he'll have a good year, providing he can stay fit and we get some decent service in.
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

So if RVP stays and plays, where do you slot Rooney in if LVG as expected goes for 433?
mr8kc
Youth Teamer

5 years ago

In his favourite left-sided slot?
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

As an inverted winger?
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

You see, I don't have a problem with that as a starting point, as it shows some thought. Unlike dozer's dimwitted 'play Rooney up front or drop him' comment that kicked this whole argument off.
bman2
Legend

5 years ago

swampash wrote:You see, I don't have a problem with that as a starting point, as it shows some thought. Unlike dozer's dimwitted 'play Rooney up front or drop him' comment that kicked this whole argument off.
I think the argument is perfectly valid. The fact is, Rooney has never definitively claimed any "slot" as his own. When Rooney has a strong season in the number 9 spot, we typically come second or so in the league. When Persie had a good season as 9, we won the league.

Ideally we'd get a player like Muller in, then we'd have Rooney, Muller, Di Maria, Depay, and Mata fighting it out for 3 spots, and maybe 4 spots since a lot of those players could also be good alongside Herrera in the attacking midfield role. If Depay-Muller-Di Maria was our preferred front three, fair enough, Rooney should have to earn his place every week like everyone else.

Remember this is a player who contributed absolutely nothing in the final stretch of the league last season, when we desperately needed him to chip in just a goal or two to help secure the CL spots. I'm not saying we should sling him out, but to assume that he's an assured starter is just insane for a club that's supposed to be competing for silverware.