Squad

Manchester United chat
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 years ago

Sid wrote:He's clearly second best to Hummels in those stats though
Not by much Sid, and he's 4 years younger than Hummels... that's a lot for a defender, as defending is more about education, and experience than just raw talent... a striker can get away with pace and ability, a defender needs to learn his trade...

I still think Jones is going to be top class in a few years... where was Vidic at 22???
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
redzebs
Legend

5 years ago

Nah Evans has a far better football brain, maybe not as much skill, but he is the one dishing out and laying into people for not being in the correct positions on set pieces etc, Smalling started doing it last year tbf, I feel sorry for Evans, my dad loves him and both brothers grew up 5 mins from my house, I think people forget two seasons ago when him and Ferdinand were fucking brilliant, he's not world class but he is good, just a poor season/injuries etc.

He's probably our best joint international player with Kyle Lafferty, and it looks like the Euros are on this time so its a pity he didn't push on but he'll do well at a decent club.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
bman2
Legend

5 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:http://www.squawka.com/news/mats-hummel ... est/414531

Check the stats comparison...

Now it obviously doesn't tell the whole story, but it does show that Jones is not the donkey some here like to claim...
Personally, I find Squawka's stats to be even shittier than most, especially their "attacking score", "defending score" and "total score", which seem to be total shite they pulled from a dead bum's bum. But I did notice the same thing about Jones a while ago, all the stat sites rates him highly -- Whoscored has had him as United's best rated player all season. Without having a go a Jones, I think it just goes to show how dubious these stats can be, perhaps for defenders especially. I think in Jones' case, he has particularly good numbers because he fucks up a lot but usually recovers from it -- so he gets good numbers for putting in the tackles and the clearances, where a better player just sees off the trouble before it gets to that point.

But it's still undeniable that he does do a lot of things very well and is still a young player. Ultimately it might be that he has great instincts but not a great head for the game.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 years ago

bman2 wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:http://www.squawka.com/news/mats-hummel ... est/414531

Check the stats comparison...

Now it obviously doesn't tell the whole story, but it does show that Jones is not the donkey some here like to claim...
Personally, I find Squawka's stats to be even shittier than most, especially their "attacking score", "defending score" and "total score", which seem to be total shite they pulled from a dead bum's bum. But I did notice the same thing about Jones a while ago, all the stat sites rates him highly -- Whoscored has had him as United's best rated player all season. Without having a go a Jones, I think it just goes to show how dubious these stats can be, perhaps for defenders especially. I think in Jones' case, he has particularly good numbers because he fucks up a lot but usually recovers from it -- so he gets good numbers for putting in the tackles and the clearances, where a better player just sees off the trouble before it gets to that point.

But it's still undeniable that he does do a lot of things very well and is still a young player. Ultimately it might be that he has great instincts but not a great head for the game.
I disagree with that... I think it's his instincts that are the problem... he's often late to spot a threat, and he's rash, and reckless to the point of putting his own body in jeopardy... I'm still surprised he hasn't seriously broken his or another players leg yet... he's got the tools, but he has to learn the art of defending... like you say, reading the danger before it's past him...

Anyway... I honestly believe Jones will get better the more he plays... especially if he gets to learn from a top player... I would have loved to see him get a couple good years paired with Rio... Hummels or Ramos would be good though... he's got the talent, training and experience is what he needs...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Spudiator
Star Man

5 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:I would have loved to see him get a couple good years paired with Rio... Hummels or Ramos would be good though... he's got the talent, training and experience is what he needs...
That's pretty much what I said previously, when Rio and Vidic were at the club, they were both automatic starters, so he wasn't getting the game time, but then they left at the same time, so now Jones (and to a lesser extent Smalling) has the game time but with nobody more experienced to learn from. That's why if we're signing Ramos, I hope he's the only one, so he can play alongside Jones rather than replacing him.
Davey-boy
Legend

5 years ago

That's great, but he always seems to break down and miss a lot of games.
marlon
Legend

5 years ago

Same with all our CBs. He's played more than any of them over the last few years.
Davey-boy
Legend

5 years ago

You still wouldn't bet on him playing 35-40 games a season would you?
marlon
Legend

5 years ago

Probably not, although he's done it before.
mr8kc
Youth Teamer

5 years ago

I think Van Gaal is going to go with Smalling along side whoever he brings in. He seems to have a lot of faith in him and Jones will end up either backup or pushing forward for a defensive midfield slot. Versatility could be then end of him at United.