Squad

Manchester United chat
Spudiator
Star Man

5 years ago

Rooney wouldn't be the first player to approach his 30s and find something of a renaissance in his career. Look at Teddy Sheringham, he was already 30 when we signed him, I think, first season looked ok but not a patch on Cantona, who he effectively replaced, second season was largely used as a sub, but still managed to be part of the treble season, third season pretty nothing-ish, but then in his fourth (and last) season he ended up as United's top scorer and got both the PFA and FWA awards!
Lakendary
First Teamer

5 years ago

dozer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Why ask Bman ? He doesn't rate Rooney, he'll give grudgingly that he's been decent but every game it's the same moaning until Rooney does put something together and then it's 'what he's paid for' or some nonsense. I know Rooney is getting on and not likely to get better but fuck he's treated shabbily by some on here.
He's not likely to get better than last season? It's possible, yes, and if it happens, it's very bad news if we don't have a better player to play there when Rooney's out of form/out of class.

Look, Rooney hasn't had a good season for a few consecutive years now and we should be buying a better prospect if there is one available.
Rooney has played quite a few games in midfield before, even when he was at his peak and he is an ok midfielder who can do a job but that's it. He was quite terrible there last season although LvG bizarrely tried him as a defensive midfielder.
Rooney as a winger? He was never that good there either and he's only lost more pace now.

In neither of these above scenarios can Rooney be a first team regular.
If Rooney surprises us and gives us a good season then well and good, he'll play obviously.
But I'm hoping for a game changer in our most critical position in attack i.e. the no 9 position - and Rooney hasn't been that player for a long time now.
I agree 100%. I wish he just left at the end of the Fergie era. Fergie already pushed him halfway out the door before he left, Moyes just needed to nudge him a little further. So what if he went to Chelsea and became great. Chelsea got a great striker regardless and won the league regardless. Now we sitting with a player who is "undroppable" even when he's been terrible, building a team around him. How 'bout building a team around Di Maria? Think we'll be more effective if we get the best out of Di Maria rather than Wazza.
Lazarus
Legend

5 years ago

I'm not saying we don't need another striker who can bang goals in. But i am sick of some people on here endlessly harping on at Rooney. I've been over this so many times. How many seasons have United fucked him about one way or another? How much shit did Fergie cause? How often has he been played out of position? How long have we complained about the lack of investment in the team? How long has he played with an old or completely shit midfield? When it looked like we had something going with Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez the whole thing fell apart thru bad stewardship and we went backwards instead.

And yet he's troubling all the records even though he's been hampered all the way and on the few occasions things clicked he delivered every time.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Lazarus
Legend

5 years ago

dozer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Why ask Bman ? He doesn't rate Rooney, he'll give grudgingly that he's been decent but every game it's the same moaning until Rooney does put something together and then it's 'what he's paid for' or some nonsense. I know Rooney is getting on and not likely to get better but fuck he's treated shabbily by some on here.
He's not likely to get better than last season? It's possible, yes, and if it happens, it's very bad news if we don't have a better player to play there when Rooney's out of form/out of class.

Look, Rooney hasn't had a good season for a few consecutive years now and we should be buying a better prospect if there is one available.
Rooney has played quite a few games in midfield before, even when he was at his peak and he is an ok midfielder who can do a job but that's it. He was quite terrible there last season although LvG bizarrely tried him as a defensive midfielder.
Rooney as a winger? He was never that good there either and he's only lost more pace now.

In neither of these above scenarios can Rooney be a first team regular.
If Rooney surprises us and gives us a good season then well and good, he'll play obviously.
But I'm hoping for a game changer in our most critical position in attack i.e. the no 9 position - and Rooney hasn't been that player for a long time now.

This from the man who rates Fellaini and thought we should get 10 mill for Nani......
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
bman2
Legend

5 years ago

Lazarus wrote:I'm not saying we don't need another striker who can bang goals in. But i am sick of some people on here endlessly harping on at Rooney. I've been over this so many times. How many seasons have United fucked him about one way or another? How much shit did Fergie cause? How often has he been played out of position? How long have we complained about the lack of investment in the team? How long has he played with an old or completely shit midfield? When it looked like we had something going with Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez the whole thing fell apart thru bad stewardship and we went backwards instead.

And yet he's troubling all the records even though he's been hampered all the way and on the few occasions things clicked he delivered every time.
How have United fucked him about? By paying him more money year after year? Played out of his position? What is his best position then? No.9? I thought that was his best position, then I sat there and watched us lose week after week in the last couple of months of last season while he sat up there like a useless lump contributing sweet fuck all. The reality is he's never laid claim to a single position, for United or for England. Time to recognize that he's the world's best utility player. That's nice to have, but you don't build a side around a utility player, and he's never been the star when we've won the league. In fact, he's often looked halfway out of the club when we've won the league.
mr8kc
Youth Teamer

5 years ago

Gets salty in here, eh?
bman2
Legend

5 years ago

Well I don't mean to get aggro, I admit I get a bit overexcited when I hear people portray Rooney as some long suffering martyr to the cause. He's one of our better players, sure, but he's probably not even one of our best 5 players from the past decade. And far from suffering from the cause, he shows no sign of putting in the extra effort of the real legends (a useless fat lump at the beginning of many seasons, never stayed after practice to work on the obvious dodgy sides of his game like controlling the ball or free kicks) and his agent takes us to the cleaners every few years, including to the point of openly flirting with City. So let's not get sentimental over him.
redzebs
Legend

5 years ago

bman2 wrote:
swampash wrote:You see, I don't have a problem with that as a starting point, as it shows some thought. Unlike dozer's dimwitted 'play Rooney up front or drop him' comment that kicked this whole argument off.
I think the argument is perfectly valid. The fact is, Rooney has never definitively claimed any "slot" as his own. When Rooney has a strong season in the number 9 spot, we typically come second or so in the league. When Persie had a good season as 9, we won the league.

Ideally we'd get a player like Muller in, then we'd have Rooney, Muller, Di Maria, Depay, and Mata fighting it out for 3 spots, and maybe 4 spots since a lot of those players could also be good alongside Herrera in the attacking midfield role. If Depay-Muller-Di Maria was our preferred front three, fair enough, Rooney should have to earn his place every week like everyone else.

Remember this is a player who contributed absolutely nothing in the final stretch of the league last season, when we desperately needed him to chip in just a goal or two to help secure the CL spots. I'm not saying we should sling him out, but to assume that he's an assured starter is just insane for a club that's supposed to be competing for silverware.

He was played all over the shop last season and was still our top goal scorer, aye get rid and keep ADM, who's proved fuck all.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.
redzebs
Legend

5 years ago

bman2 wrote:
Don't talk shite. When Rooney's great he's great. But I'm tired of people pretending that he's not a Jekyll and Hyde character. Tell me then, how do you feel about his performances at the end of last season? You want to go into next season with him as our only credible no.9? Do you think Van Gaal does, with his job and reputation depending on it?

The last games of last season the whole team was shite tbf
redzebs
Legend

5 years ago

bman2 wrote:
Lazarus wrote:I'm not saying we don't need another striker who can bang goals in. But i am sick of some people on here endlessly harping on at Rooney. I've been over this so many times. How many seasons have United fucked him about one way or another? How much shit did Fergie cause? How often has he been played out of position? How long have we complained about the lack of investment in the team? How long has he played with an old or completely shit midfield? When it looked like we had something going with Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez the whole thing fell apart thru bad stewardship and we went backwards instead.

How have United fucked him about? By paying him more money year after year? Played out of his position? What is his best position then? No.9? I thought that was his best position, then I sat there and watched us lose week after week in the last couple of months of last season while he sat up there like a useless lump contributing sweet fuck all. The reality is he's never laid claim to a single position, for United or for England. Time to recognize that he's the world's best utility player. That's nice to have, but you don't build a side around a utility player, and he's never been the star when we've won the league. In fact, he's often looked halfway out of the club when we've won the league.

The two seasons he played as a proper 9 he scored 34 goals both campaigns