United's manager next season

Manchester United chat

Who would you have as United manager next season?

David Moyes
7%
Jurgen Klopp
66%
Louis Van Gaal
9%
Roberto Martinez
7%
Ryan Giggs
7%
Other
5%

Total votes: 44
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

marlon wrote:van Gaal was no ones first choice. Everyone settled for him when it became we weren't going to chase a Klopp. Except Laz, who wanted Giggs.
That's exactly what I said; Van Gaal was first choice for this short stop gap we apparently need, then we go for someone else long term

Looking at the response to the short passes we play, I guarantee most United fans couldn't hack Guardiola as manager. They would be hysterical at the transition to his philosophy. He's use the P word too, god forbid. And many fans would be bored by Mourinho.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

dozer wrote:
marlon wrote:van Gaal was no ones first choice. Everyone settled for him when it became we weren't going to chase a Klopp. Except Laz, who wanted Giggs.
Klopp would have sacked by now, Moyes had a better season last year than Klopp this year.
Talkin shit again... you don't know that anymore than you know anything else... might be right... but this is a manager who took on the great Bayern Munich and beat them, and only Bayerns money, and cheap, pissy tactics of stealing Dortmunds players brought them down... it's fuckin criminal what's happened there, and a stain on the German league which is even more lop sided now than Spain, or Scotland...

Klopp may well have come here, and been an inspired success, so just give it a rest...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

Sid wrote:
That's exactly what I said; Van Gaal was first choice for this short stop gap we apparently need, then we go for someone else long term

Looking at the response to the short passes we play, I guarantee most United fans couldn't hack Guardiola as manager. They would be hysterical at the transition to his philosophy. He's use the P word too, god forbid. And many fans would be bored by Mourinho.
I can't agree with that Sid... the difference between Van Gall and Guardiola is stark... under Van Gaal, we look aimless, unorganised, and at times plodding and slow... without the ball, Guardiola would have us snarling and snapping to get it back, and with the ball, our movement would be miles better... the number of times we pass the ball around the back 4, just because there's no one forward making themselves open and available... that's what I don't like about Van Gaals "style"... there's plenty of possession, but it's pointless... all that high priced attacking talent and they've got so little threat... pass it around at the back, again, and again, then get it wide and whip it in... What the fuck??? if all we're going to do is play for crosses, then why not just skip the pointless back 4 possession and go for a new record in crosses???... when was the last time, you saw our team create a goal through the middle, with some intricate, defence splitting passing???... that's bread and butter stuff for Guardiolas teams...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
sheesh

4 years ago

Yeah, you don't really associate guardiola's teams with pointless arsing about when they have the ball. They play short quick passes and work hard to win the ball back. They penetrate teams. When we have possession, we either hoof it long or knock it sideways. We are slow in our passing and there is little penetration.

Also, I don't get this notion that we would have disliked a United under Mourinho. I don't think his current side are overly defensive. I find it interesting that they may sell schurrle who, in my view, is a very good player.
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

You do associate Guardiola with plodding football, fucking hell, are we all forgetting the last 5 or 6 years of outrage toward tika taka???

I mean pundits have made a career on slagging it off, and its main proprieter in Guardiola

What the fuck am I reading here, seriously

Literally "pointless arsing about with possession" or "possession for possesions sake" that Guardiola is accused of, almost cost him his job in the early days of taking over from Bayern, or have we forgot that too?

Bayern became hysterical. The press and fans were split on their hatred of him. It looked like it was going to cost him his job at one point. They hated the Thiago transfer, they started slagging off his appearance, his jumpers, his bald head. That's when you know you're close to being finished. It's wally with the brolly, onionhead etc. Keown is trying it now with "Van Gaal looks like a biology teacher with his clipboard"

Also, the slow plodding short passing style is a deliberate tactic employed by Guardiola's teams to slow the game down, to exert control. They plod through defence and midfield, then quicken the pace in the final third with one touch football, and cut you open, with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi like lightening over 10 yards.
dozer
Legend

4 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
dozer wrote:
Klopp would have sacked by now, Moyes had a better season last year than Klopp this year.
Talkin shit again... you don't know that anymore than you know anything else... might be right... but this is a manager who took on the great Bayern Munich and beat them, and only Bayerns money, and cheap, pissy tactics of stealing Dortmunds players brought them down... it's fuckin criminal what's happened there, and a stain on the German league which is even more lop sided now than Spain, or Scotland...

Klopp may well have come here, and been an inspired success, so just give it a rest...
I'm just stating facts. I didn't say that Klopp was a bad manager. But you like Klopp so I suppose I must say Dormund are leading the Bundesliga to make you happy.
Regardless of Dormund's sales, they shouldn't be bottom of the table. Even mid table would have been a below average performance by this squad.

Don't get upset. Rooney is the best striker in the world.
sheesh

4 years ago

The reason critics went nuts is because they're largely used to the game being played a certain way. I would say that German football is probably the closest foreign comparator to English football. There are a whole host of reasons why German teams outperform English counterparts which I can't be arsed to go into but German and English football, in terms of the approach to the game, aren't miles apart in the way that English and Spanish football are. I'm not necessarily talking about formations as such.

I think any criticisms of Guardiola are unfair anyway, and particularly his approach at Barcelona. I think you can criticise the way arsenal tried to copy that style though. Now there is a club that perfected pointless arsing about with the ball. They were plodders.
danniitronix
Legend

4 years ago

Way too much over analysis by Top Reds used to fantasy football and coma inducing videogames:

“After I switched the system we won nine in a row [actually eight, then three draws] then we lose one game and the discussion about the system start up again. It’s ridiculous.”

Its a simple as this. Top Reds signing up to the Twitter generation love to big it up with some claptrap about formations, systems just because they tried it on their playstation or some relic on MOTD or Sky play with some computer graphics, so yep must be right.

Yep the entire foundations of the club must be at risk. Get a new manager quick.
Sid
Legend

4 years ago

sheesh wrote:The reason critics went nuts is because they're largely used to the game being played a certain way. I would say that German football is probably the closest foreign comparator to English football. There are a whole host of reasons why German teams outperform English counterparts which I can't be arsed to go into but German and English football, in terms of the approach to the game, aren't miles apart in the way that English and Spanish football are. I'm not necessarily talking about formations as such.

I think any criticisms of Guardiola are unfair anyway, and particularly his approach at Barcelona. I think you can criticise the way arsenal tried to copy that style though. Now there is a club that perfected pointless arsing about with the ball. They were plodders.
Exactly, and that's what is happening here; we're used to United playing in a certain way, which has become a false romanticized way that we haven't played since the 90s, and it's being compared to Van Gaal's possession football

So take the Hull game, which was Van Gaal's philosophy in full, and it saw the fans booing, jeering and raging at 1-0 and 2-0 because they weren't happy with possession football

So that lot clearly don't like his football, and the campaign against it is snowballing to the point were last night he gave them the 442 they crave and it was still shit

So you and Alf suddenly viewing tika taka in a positive light - you wouldn't if we had it at United. You couldn't hack it.
sheesh

4 years ago

Van Gaal's own vision of possession football isn't working, partly because of the specific system he uses to fulfil that vision, and partly because of the players we have, many of whom are either too old, too slow or not technically capable. This is why I am against van Gaal executing his strategy at this particular time.

I don't think you can compare his vision with Guardiola's.

That doesn't mean to say that I am against the execution of possession football altogether. When I talk about the execution of possession football, I define it not only as retaining the ball better, but also having the intelligence to know when to release it, passing it on the deck and at a high tempo rather than hoofing it aimlessly, and looking to penetrate rather than moving it sideways.

My own idea of executing possession football might be different from someone else's, who would associate it with hogging the ball for the sake of it, and little else. What we are seeing at United is the latter. Koeman's idea of possession is different to van Gaals, even though both of them believe in it. I would say Southampton play possession football in the way I view it. They keep the ball, but they know when to release it.

People conflate possession football with hogging the ball unnecessarily, and not doing anything with it and I don't agree that it always has to be that way. Think back to the thrilling way Barcelona would play against arsenal at nou camp in the Champions League under pep (well I enjoyed it anyway). I'm not saying we should go back to the 90s, and stick to that out of a misplaced sense of nostalgia about the way we used to play, but we should get the players to play in a more comfortable system for the time being. We need top 4.