United's manager next season

Manchester United chat

Who would you have as United manager next season?

David Moyes
7%
Jurgen Klopp
66%
Louis Van Gaal
9%
Roberto Martinez
7%
Ryan Giggs
7%
Other
5%

Total votes: 44
Twisted Blood
First Teamer

5 years ago

Don't get me wrong. I love Ryan Giggs and the Class of 92. There seems to be a groundswell of opinion for him getting the post--from Fergies' endorsement to the good-feelings first presser to Mickey Owen's column in the Telegraph and posts from some folks on this site. Like everyone, I love seeing that Gang of Four together but it's a feeling of nostalgia. Giggs' choice as permanent manager of United is ill-considered and here's why:

Giggs clearly knows how he'd like to set up but has he got any tactical nous? The next 4 games will not tell us that. Can he outwit or match move-for-move Jose on a cold night in March? Fergie had trouble with that. Giggs isn't ready for that now. Not yet anyway. You need some time away to see the game from afar. Maybe Gary Neville could do it after watching games and unofficially scouting players in Europe for a few years but not Giggs. He's been busy playing and training.

There have been lots of comparisons between Giggs and Guardiola being thrown around. Pep actually ran youth teams for Barca, knew the players coming through intimately and inherited a team IN ITS PRIME. Giggs has a rebuild to do. Does he know talent? I don't know. Even Pep had trouble on this score. The worst transfer in history that no one talks about: the ill-fated Samuel Eto plus a gizillion Euros to Inter for Zlatan. The "Plan B" transfer. Remember that? Gave Inter the treble and was a disaster for Barca. They recovered because they could afford it. United can't. Not with these owners.

I'm not wild about Van Gaal or Ancelloti but it's a safe pair of hands to do transfers, develop a shape, get us into Europe and win in Europe. Giggs could learn a different style at their feet and he's ready in 3-4 years. I don't think he needs to fail at Brighton to make his bones but he's not ready yet. Hell, I might even compromise if we could prise Hiddink away from whatever cush job he has now to be a Director of Football with Giggs as manager but Giggsy can't handle a job this big quite yet. I pray the Glazers listen to reason and not Fergie again on this one. Unlike the Moyes appointment, I love this candidate, just not yet........
there seems to be a ground
Snoopcousins
Legend

5 years ago

Dutch papers reporting Van Gaal has agreed a deal to join after the World Cup
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
sheesh

5 years ago

According to De Telegraaf, a 3 year deal has been agreed.

United have denied the story though. As I've said before, he'd be a good short term appointment and help us get back on our feet with regard to competing again. Not sure he would turn us into world beaters.

As for Giggs, I have strong reservations about him taking the manager's job at United one day. I really think he needs to cut his teeth at least one other club and develop an excellent track record before he's even considered.

Just because he's been a top player and for so long doesn't necessarily mean that he will be a great manager. Look at how the appointment of Ole has turned out for Cardiff (legend though he is).

A lot of United fans (and people like Fergie) tend to over-romanticise rather than think about what is best for the club. Worryingly, that Fergie is already talking about Giggs suggests to me that he's learnt nothing from the Moyes appointment. We need to have the best person in charge, not just hire someone because he's Ryan Giggs.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ed-manager
Minus The Bear
Star Man

5 years ago

It's going to be Van Gaal isn't it.

Apparently looking to bring in Kluivert with him as assistant. Also Franshoek (GK coach) & Van Dijk (psych).
kramer
Youth Teamer

5 years ago

totally agree with alf. van gaal sounds like a great pick for now. get some order and discipline back, some new ideas in, bring the tactical play, fitness and mentality back into the players, and phase out the older players over 2-3 years. THEN bring in someone like klopp, with a decent budget and the full backing of the supporters, board and players.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

5 years ago

any confidence in giggsy is gone now taggarts given him the ok tbf

if he did get the job its clear who'd still be running the show
lkhm

hoofing
sheesh

5 years ago

From BBC website:

Journalist Marcel van der Kraan, of Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, is the man who broke the Louis van Gaal story this morning, and he's been speaking to BBC Radio 5 live about his exclusive: "Very good sources last night informed us they (Manchester United) have agreed a deal. Van Gaal flew out to Portugal at the beginning of this week and he is due back this weekend because we have the last week of the Dutch league and he needed to sort his future out with Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur because the Dutch national team are soon starting to prepare for the World Cup and Van Gaal didn't want to be bothered on his future.

"There was a huge offer from Tottenham on the table and it was either going to be that one or Manchester United. Our sources, more than one informed us last night, it was Manchester United."

Here's more from the BBC Radio 5 live interview with journalist Marcel van der Kraan, of Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, who broke the Louis van Gaal story this morning: "Louis van Gaal would not discuss anything while David Moyes was still there as the manager at Manchester United.

"Van Gaal is a former player's union man in Holland and was chairman of the union. He is a man of principle.

"He was approached two weeks ago by the Glazer family, but told them 'you have that manager, I will not sit down and discuss my future at your club.'

"So a delegation from Manchester United went back and took action and made agreement with David Moyes first and subsequently they flew out to Portugal to meet Van Gaal."

Here's more from the BBC Radio 5 live interview with journalist Marcel van der Kraan, of Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, who broke the Louis van Gaal story this morning: "Louis van Gaal was offered the Tottenham job in the first week of January by Daniel Levy. Mr Levy flew to Holland and met van Gaal in his Dutch penthouse. They discussed for many hours the possibility of taking over immediately.

"Louis van Gaal said 'no sorry I can't do that, never in my club career or national coach career have I done two jobs at the same time. I don't want to be spending my time working between two different employers'.

"Van Gaal agreed [to defer talks with Spurs], then somewhere he was tipped off it would be handy to wait for an even bigger job.

"When he was tipped there could be an even bigger job he did hang on, fruitfully as Manchester United did ask him to have talks."
swampash
Legend

5 years ago

Interesting new comment from Fergie that Giggs might be the right one. I've been batting for Klopp, but if you had Giggs assisted by Butt, Scholes and Neville.....?? :-?
I really hope they don't go for the Dutch One - his CV looks good, but his last season at Bayern was very poor. Alienated everyone and ended up being shown the door.
Spotted some rumours that Klopp is heading for Arsenal - anyone else got anything on that?
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
urboystook1hellofabeating
First Teamer

5 years ago

Twisted Blood wrote:Don't get me wrong. I love Ryan Giggs and the Class of 92. There seems to be a groundswell of opinion for him getting the post--from Fergies' endorsement to the good-feelings first presser to Mickey Owen's column in the Telegraph and posts from some folks on this site. Like everyone, I love seeing that Gang of Four together but it's a feeling of nostalgia. Giggs' choice as permanent manager of United is ill-considered and here's why:

Giggs clearly knows how he'd like to set up but has he got any tactical nous? The next 4 games will not tell us that. Can he outwit or match move-for-move Jose on a cold night in March? Fergie had trouble with that. Giggs isn't ready for that now. Not yet anyway. You need some time away to see the game from afar. Maybe Gary Neville could do it after watching games and unofficially scouting players in Europe for a few years but not Giggs. He's been busy playing and training.

There have been lots of comparisons between Giggs and Guardiola being thrown around. Pep actually ran youth teams for Barca, knew the players coming through intimately and inherited a team IN ITS PRIME. Giggs has a rebuild to do. Does he know talent? I don't know. Even Pep had trouble on this score. The worst transfer in history that no one talks about: the ill-fated Samuel Eto plus a gizillion Euros to Inter for Zlatan. The "Plan B" transfer. Remember that? Gave Inter the treble and was a disaster for Barca. They recovered because they could afford it. United can't. Not with these owners.

I'm not wild about Van Gaal or Ancelloti but it's a safe pair of hands to do transfers, develop a shape, get us into Europe and win in Europe. Giggs could learn a different style at their feet and he's ready in 3-4 years. I don't think he needs to fail at Brighton to make his bones but he's not ready yet. Hell, I might even compromise if we could prise Hiddink away from whatever cush job he has now to be a Director of Football with Giggs as manager but Giggsy can't handle a job this big quite yet. I pray the Glazers listen to reason and not Fergie again on this one. Unlike the Moyes appointment, I love this candidate, just not yet........
there seems to be a ground
--Brilliantly put. And great pic of Berba too! :)
It will be a real drag if Klopp goes to Arsenal... He would be my choice. Van Gaal could work but Klopp appears to be a more chilled-out person. Klopp is less of a gamble than Giggs anyway...
LurganRed
First Teamer

5 years ago

At the moment it seems Van Gaal's the only likely candidate for the job.

I see it like this, Van Gaal's a proven winner. Wherever he's gone he's won trophies, He's an arrogant cunt but that's what Utd need an arrogant cunt as a manager. I've always said as far back as the Old Rant that love him or hate him Mourinho was born for the Utd job, I remember saying to you lot years ago that Jose was the only manager in the world who would roll into Old Trafford and say he could do better than Fergie. Even if you look at Pep, the stress made him ill at Barca he needed to walk away from it and its rumoured he's clashing with the Kaiser at Bayern over playing styles, he also inherited 2 very successful teams. Pep seems to be rattled easy by mind games also.

After last season's snub Jose will never be Utd manager, but if you look at Van Gaal he's just as arrogant and this is where Mourinho most likely got it from. How often have we said that the Utd players could do with a severe kick in the arse?? Van Gaal wouldn't hesitate to provide one, also he likes to promote from the youth system. The current state of Utd's academy isn't up to scratch with our youngster's well behind City's in quality, look no further than Darren Fletcher & RVP sending their kids to City's Academy rather than United's. We all know Van Gaal overhauled Ajax's Youth System, something they are still famed for to this day. We also have a proud 100+ year history of having at least one graduate from our Youth Rank's to maintain.

Van Gaal has said he likes to keep a coach from the previous set up to help him bed in, I can see Rene coming back from the wilderness, with both hailing from the Netherlands and Rene has always been highly regarded across Europe and within Holland as Guus Hiddink took him to Anzhi to be his number 2.

We know Van Gaal's a cunt, even though he brought 2 La Liga titles he's still unpopular at Camp Nou, he also had a major falling out with Johan Cruyff. Though his job is not to win popularity contests, as any of his former players what they make of him and they'll only speak highly of him.

As much as we'd love to see the Class of 92 take control of the club they aren't experienced enough for the job. If Giggsy, Butty,& Scholesy could spend a few years as part of the coaching set up or even going into the youth set up like Ole did they could learn their trade, it worked for Barca with Pep & Tito (RIP) why can it not work for Utd??

Finally Van Gaal has never been one for hanging around, he could stay at Utd for 2-3 years before handing the reins over to a then out of contract Pep, Klopp or even to a more experienced Giggsy.
Football...........Bloody Hell!!!- SAF 26th May 1999 Camp Nou Barcelona

I am not a Man, I AM CANTONA- Eric Cantona Looking For Eric