Fixing midfield and defense

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

There’s a few spots on the team that could do with an upgrade, like right wing and maybe an attacking right back. But I think our biggest problem consistently is with our back two midfielders and our centre backs. It’s fine if we sit deep, but otherwise that whole section of the team just doesn’t function very well either in defense or in attack. And I think almost all our problems stem from that.

We could probably do with new CB. But I also think the CBs we’ve hard aren’t that bad; they’re better than most out there. There’s teams that defend better with worse CBs. We don’t defend that well, but we don’t even get the most out of Lindelof and Maguire’s ball-playing ability either. I think this is where coaching is failing.

We badly need a DM who really gets about and shields the back four. But we also want someone who can play, and isn’t just a pure stopper.

Until we get a DM, I think Lindelof might be a good shout in the position. Good defensively, and he’s a very good passer too. If we could get someone like Alaba in January to partner with Maguire, I think that would create a much better platform. Partner Lindelof in midfield with either Beek or Pogba, whoever is playing better.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Said it for ages, ditching Matic for someone younger, quicker and more agile will have a huge impact on how we play. It will improve the attack and the doughnuts in defence. Then Ole might move away this double 6 shite he keeps playing.
dozer
Legend

1 month ago

Matic isn't playing nowadays. He's playing Fred and McT both of whom are much faster than Matic and perhaps Lindelof (who, btw, isn't a good defender or passer).
I thougt McT would be a top player but I feel he's regressed this year. He suddenly doesn't look that good to me. His passing has gotten worse. Idk why.
Fred has gotten better.
fat maradona
Star Man

1 month ago

dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Matic isn't playing nowadays. He's playing Fred and McT both of whom are much faster than Matic and perhaps Lindelof (who, btw, isn't a good defender or passer).
I thougt McT would be a top player but I feel he's regressed this year. He suddenly doesn't look that good to me. His passing has gotten worse. Idk why.
Fred has gotten better.
Are you referring to Fred from 'Right Said Fred'? If you're referring to Fred Santos, then I would have to disagree with you. His tackle success % has dropped from 53% to 36% and his passing is terrible. I mean fucking attrocious terrible. He is usually the cause of why we can't break the oppo press because whenever we do win the ball back and look to move forward, the cunt gives the ball away again. He seems like a nice guy but he's more suited to the Championship than he Premier League.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

fat maradona wrote:
1 month ago
dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Fred has gotten better.
Are you referring to Fred from 'Right Said Fred'? If you're referring to Fred Santos, then I would have to disagree with you. His tackle success % has dropped from 53% to 36% and his passing is terrible. I mean fucking attrocious terrible. He is usually the cause of why we can't break the oppo press because whenever we do win the ball back and look to move forward, the cunt gives the ball away again. He seems like a nice guy but he's more suited to the Championship than he Premier League.
Yeah Fred has never convinced me. I think people give him credit for playing well because expectations are so low that not glaringly fucking up looks good.
dozer
Legend

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
fat maradona wrote:
1 month ago
dozer wrote:
1 month ago
Fred has gotten better.
Yeah Fred has never convinced me. I think people give him credit for playing well because expectations are so low that not glaringly fucking up looks good.
I've always been convinced Fred is crap but he's improved and is now better than Mct. Still crap though. Doesn't bode well for Mct.
swampash
Legend

1 month ago

I'd pick McT and the Beek and give the Beek the licence to get forward. He looks like he reads the game well and can get back into a deeper position when needed.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
dozer
Legend

23 hours ago

VDB would be great for keeping possession and moving the ball forward. I think he should play deep. He won the ball a lot in the game he played a bit deep in the Pogba role.
Pogba is probably going this summer. And he's not cemented his place either. Why bother playing him?
fat maradona
Star Man

22 hours ago

dozer wrote:
23 hours ago
VDB would be great for keeping possession and moving the ball forward. I think he should play deep. He won the ball a lot in the game he played a bit deep in the Pogba role.
Pogba is probably going this summer. And he's not cemented his place either. Why bother playing him?
He's a big name and we are sponsored by global brands. United fans in Calcutta want to see Pogba, not VdB and sponsors wants their name to be seen all over the world. Football is more about business than the round object nowadays.