Manchester United to break away from the Premier League

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

I don't think this will happen (moving out of the PL) . Quality is relative. Some clubs will lose out if they end up at the bottom of the elite league. Especially United with out current state is at high risk. Clubs know this.

You need the poor to be rich.
swampash
Legend

Sure, but that is also true for the bottom clubs in the PL. Would not surprise me one bit if the handful of top clubs in the PL went for it.
In the same vein, Rummenigger was asked about it last night before the Bayern game. Claimed to know absolutely nothing about it, which is a raising cert that he is in on the plan too.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

They will go for it IMO. The yanks, billionaires and state run clubs that make up the top 6 have no allegiance to English football. Project Big Picture proves that. This is globalisation. They'll go where the biggest revenues are, and that's a euro super league. If one of the top 6 goes they all will so they don't miss out on the dough.

I think the big question is who can stop them. The Prem and UEFA are powerful but FIFA more so, and they want it. For me the people who'll be putting the money up (broadcasters and sponsors) are key. They don't necessarily like change, not when they're making a mint under the current status quo. So it's whether they can be tempted. Maybe not in these coronavirus times.

There does seem an inevitability about it though. I remember first hearing about it at least 15 years ago.
Last edited by Fuck the Glazers 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

dozer wrote: 3 years ago I don't think this will happen (moving out of the PL) . Quality is relative. Some clubs will lose out if they end up at the bottom of the elite league. Especially United with out current state is at high risk. Clubs know this.

You need the poor to be rich.
If we're shite in the euro league but our revenues are even greater than they are now - which they would be - the Glazers would sign up in a heartbeat. It's all about the dough. Top 4 is their main objective cos it brings in the big money. 1st doesn't so they aren't arsed.

I'm pretty sure that leak said United and Madrid have been offered the most money to join - even though we've been shite for 7 years - cos we're the biggest draw. So there you go. It ain't about where you finish or how good you are, it's about how strong your brand is. We could get pumped every week in a euro super league but we'd still be raking it in.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... a-chairman

So FA chairman Greg Clarke was lying when he publicly denounced project big picture. He actually organised the original meetings between clubs, all of which he attended (another lie). And he discussed how coronavirus and the euro super league would provide "an opportunity to reshape English football."

The FA are one of the instigators of this. They're on board. I think we should be very worried tbh.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Having listened to Ed who sat in on the latest United financial call, the club have no money. Down 100 odd mil, cash flow gone, deferred sponsorships etc.

They also extended the Chevrolet shirt deal for another 6 months for an almost insignificant 11m - probably to buy time until they can find someone in a historic downturn to shell out 70/80m a season

The Glazers also took a further 23m

So that's probably why they came up with project big picture / a euro super league cos a bigger share of the TV money will help us massively
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Barca agree to join euro super league

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ors-resign

Sounds like they need the money after covid
fat maradona
Legend

The reasons for this super league aren't for footballing reasons, fuck that. Football clubs have become mega-corporations and just like any other business, the main objective is to maximise EBITDA. This super league breakaway will happen. The EFL and UEFA can't stop them and nor can FIFA. What would they do? Ban players participating in the new league from playing for their countries? I don't think it's allowed under any law. No, what will happen is that the governing bodies will realise that it's inevitable and you can't stop the march of capitalism.

It kinda reminds me of Rollerball for some reason, football in the future won't be a sport but just another money making spectacle, where fans don't give a shit who wins or loses as long as someone loses a limb.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

fat maradona wrote: 3 years ago The reasons for this super league aren't for footballing reasons, fuck that. Football clubs have become mega-corporations and just like any other business, the main objective is to maximise EBITDA. This super league breakaway will happen. The EFL and UEFA can't stop them and nor can FIFA. What would they do? Ban players participating in the new league from playing for their countries? I don't think it's allowed under any law. No, what will happen is that the governing bodies will realise that it's inevitable and you can't stop the march of capitalism.

It kinda reminds me of Rollerball for some reason, football in the future won't be a sport but just another money making spectacle, where fans don't give a shit who wins or loses as long as someone loses a limb.
Agreed. The killer blow for anybody trying to stop these changes from happening is the fact that FIFA and the FA don't just agree with the changes, they are the facilitators, they organised the meetings, they got the clubs to speak.

I think fan backlash is the only thing stopping it - for now. The launch of a new league has to be positive. They won't want it to happen under a cloud of negativity cos that will impact subscriptions. But they'll play the long game. There's no rush.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Sid wrote: 3 years ago Having listened to Ed who sat in on the latest United financial call, the club have no money. Down 100 odd mil, cash flow gone, deferred sponsorships etc.

They also extended the Chevrolet shirt deal for another 6 months for an almost insignificant 11m - probably to buy time until they can find someone in a historic downturn to shell out 70/80m a season

The Glazers also took a further 23m

So that's probably why they came up with project big picture / a euro super league cos a bigger share of the TV money will help us massively
The club also spent about 22m buying back shares. So that plus the 23m Glazer dividend is nearly 50m wasted on shite, when it could have been spent on a top CB prospect, or been more than half the fee for Upamecano.

More stuff here