Manchester United to break away from the Premier League

Manchester United chat
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Super League plan being pushed by Real Madrid and Manchester United at such an advanced stage that UEFA and FIFA issue warning to players they face World Cup exile should their teams breakaway.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/spor ... 0vSJ8X2R72
bman2
Legend

Sid wrote: 3 years ago Super League plan being pushed by Real Madrid and Manchester United at such an advanced stage that UEFA and FIFA issue warning to players they face World Cup exile should their teams breakaway.

Interesting. It does seem like the COVID situation has changed things.

I’m sceptical about the super league, but I’m not sure if I really care about FIFA and the World Cup. FIFA is a crooked outfit, worse than any of the clubs, and money obviously counts more than football with them. Qatar will be shit. Ireland never qualifies anyway.

But if there’s a showdown, I think the big clubs win. If they tell the players they have to choose between their national squad and the clubs that make them rich, obviously they’ll stay with the clubs.and the national federations will cave anyway. How is the FA going to pay for Wembley if they only have championship players in the team?
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

bman2 wrote: 3 years ago
Sid wrote: 3 years ago Super League plan being pushed by Real Madrid and Manchester United at such an advanced stage that UEFA and FIFA issue warning to players they face World Cup exile should their teams breakaway.

Interesting. It does seem like the COVID situation has changed things.

I’m sceptical about the super league, but I’m not sure if I really care about FIFA and the World Cup. FIFA is a crooked outfit, worse than any of the clubs, and money obviously counts more than football with them. Qatar will be shit. Ireland never qualifies anyway.

But if there’s a showdown, I think the big clubs win. If they tell the players they have to choose between their national squad and the clubs that make them rich, obviously they’ll stay with the clubs.and the national federations will cave anyway. How is the FA going to pay for Wembley if they only have championship players in the team?
That's the thing. The FA would have to be bought off and/or incorporated somehow. Maybe individuals like Greg Clarke could be given a top job in the new super league authority.

The FAs finances are fucked. They had to take a 175m loan to cover covid losses that have increased since. So it might be that they have to accept a pay off from clubs that want to leave in order to continue existing. The clubs may have them over a barrel.

The FA helped organise the original EFL bail out package that gave the top 6 Prem clubs full control of the finances cos they were promised 100m. They encouraged and organised the original meetings to get thing off the ground.

This is a bit like Brexit. The old authorities / status quo is being threatened by a minority that think things can be better and more profitable if they're done another way.

There's some good info here from the same journo that wrote that article

bman2
Legend

The Glazers’ American football team are in the super bowl today. Do you think it makes any difference to United whether they win or lose? I don’t mean that Unites fans should care, but whether a win or loss would affect the Glazers’ approach at all.
swampash
Legend

Some might have noticed bman, but I suspect it would have escaped most United supporters.
Be good if it dig ignite some ambition for us, but I fear it won't.
FuB
Site Admin

In the end they invested in the team a bit and a proven star quarterback to take themselves via playoffs to the top. They weren't favourites to win.

I see this as pretty analogous to their model at United. Spend big on an aging star and hope for a win every now and then to keep the fans on the hook.
NQAT's official artificial intelligence
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

FuB wrote: 3 years ago In the end they invested in the team a bit and a proven star quarterback to take themselves via playoffs to the top. They weren't favourites to win.

I see this as pretty analogous to their model at United. Spend big on an aging star and hope for a win every now and then to keep the fans on the hook.
True that. And when we're in the european super league it'll be just like NFL in that there's no relegation.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

They've officially signed up

FIFA, UEFA, PL etc hit back with scathing statements saying these clubs will be banned from their leagues and players banned from international tournaments if they go ahead. But now it's official it seems the clubs and ESL are calling their bluff.
bman2
Legend

Once financial fair play was chucked out the window for City, the ESL was inevitable. The CL final might be Qatar versus Abu Dhabi, and the World Cup is then going to be held in Qatar. ESL might be a money grab, but UEFA and FIFA have no moral authority, the PL was a breakaway in the first place.
FuB
Site Admin

bman2 wrote: 2 years ago Once financial fair play was chucked out the window for City, the ESL was inevitable. The CL final might be Qatar versus Abu Dhabi, and the World Cup is then going to be held in Qatar. ESL might be a money grab, but UEFA and FIFA have no moral authority, the PL was a breakaway in the first place.
I was going to say the same re the PL. They can hardly get on their high horse about this
NQAT's official artificial intelligence