OGS.....

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

8 months ago

Matic gets a bit too much stick. He needs to play regularly and he'll get good. Our midfielders suck anyway so might as well start him for a few games.
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

8 months ago

I think the only way that Matic can get minutes would be as a pure defender in front of the back line, almost an extra central defender or another layer of defense before getting to Lindelof and Maguire. He doesn’t have the speed or quickness to get too far away from the back line and he doesn’t have the skills to be the linkup between defense and attack.

There are not a whole bunch of places where Ole can play him.
dozer
Legend

8 months ago

RedDevilinAZ wrote:
8 months ago
I think the only way that Matic can get minutes would be as a pure defender in front of the back line, almost an extra central defender or another layer of defense before getting to Lindelof and Maguire. He doesn’t have the speed or quickness to get too far away from the back line and he doesn’t have the skills to be the linkup between defense and attack.

He can control a football. It makes him better than a lot of our players.
We're anyway getting destroyed in midfield. I'd give him a few games.
Davey-boy
Legend

8 months ago

dozer wrote:
8 months ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
8 months ago

Yeah but he's so very slow Dozer. I mean ridiculously slow.
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

8 months ago

Davey-boy wrote:
8 months ago
dozer wrote:
8 months ago
RedDevilinAZ wrote:
8 months ago

Yeah but he's so very slow Dozer. I mean ridiculously slow.
Ole has a hell of a selection job on his hands. Ole needs to get Pogba higher up the pitch and while I have seen glaciers than move faster than Matic I just do not see what other options are available. Playing Pereira has been borderline ridiculous and as for Fred - is he still with the club - who know what we would get from him. I once had hopes that Fosu-Mensah might be able to step into the role of defensive midfielder but chances of his playing for United on a regular basis are on life support. Year of neglect and bad choices are finally coming home to our midfield.
marlon
Legend

8 months ago

5 games in, level on points with Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal. On the other hand, we’ve dropped 7 points out of 15, even though we’ve had a pen or red card in our favour every game and maybe an easier schedule than the others.

Spurs are struggling with injuries and Chelsea are putting together a very new team but I can’t see where improvement will come for us. Fred still looks like Fred, Martial looks worse up front, Pogba looks worse in a 2, James wants to be a LW which means however good he is, it won’t change the team much because our LW was fine already.

Considering the struggles of the other teams, top 4 should be very doable but I don’t think Solskjaer’s up to it.
dozer
Legend

8 months ago

Chelsea, Arsenal and United were all trying their hardest to give up 4th place last season. 4 is just a number. We can only claim improvement by beating Spurs to top 3.
bman2
Legend

8 months ago

marlon wrote:
8 months ago
5 games in, level on points with Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal. On the other hand, we’ve dropped 7 points out of 15, even though we’ve had a pen or red card in our favour every game and maybe an easier schedule than the others.

Spurs are struggling with injuries and Chelsea are putting together a very new team but I can’t see where improvement will come for us. Fred still looks like Fred, Martial looks worse up front, Pogba looks worse in a 2, James wants to be a LW which means however good he is, it won’t change the team much because our LW was fine already.

Considering the struggles of the other teams, top 4 should be very doable but I don’t think Solskjaer’s up to it.
The biggest problem is that we just have gaps in key spots, especially right wing and number 10. When you look at heat maps, practically none of our attacking comes down the right, it must make it much easier to defend against us. Surely if we widened our attack, it would make it that bit easier to open defences up.
marlon
Legend

8 months ago

Yeah that’s maybe why he’s put Pogba on the right, but I’m amazed he hasn’t made a better attempt than Pereira to sort the RW. Greenwood or Chong would’ve made some sense at least. Doesn’t help that AWB can’t do much. Dalot played on the wing last year and Solskjaer suggested that in preseason too, so maybe that’s the plan.

I think we need both Rashford and Martial through the middle as neither of them look good enough to lead an attack on their own.
bman2
Legend

8 months ago

I thought that match last night was extremely worrying. Fine, they parked the bus, but you're talking about a team that's well below Premier League level. We should be able to put a few goals past them no bother. The fundamental problem is: where are our goals going to come from? Fine, Martial and James were injured, but in Martial's best season he scored about 12 or 13 goals, and does anyone expect James to keep scoring every match? We're gambling that Martial stays fit and proves to be a 20+ goals player. It might work out, but it's a hell of risk.

We shouldn't kid ourselves that these academy players and being pushed forward because we've got a special generation. Gomes, Greenwood etc look like talented players, but I'm sure PL academies are full of similar players. They're being pushed forward because we gutted the senior squad and didn't replace the forwards and midfielders we were losing.

The reality is that's five or six games in a row now where we are struggling every single game to score one measly goal. And we don't always achieve that. How long can that go on? I think Ole has gotten some things very right, his 3 signings look good, but not signing a proven forward might be a fatal error. We should have signed someone like Haller, who West Ham signed, said so at the time. A good plan B players. Maybe even a plan A player.