OGS.....

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

1 month ago

Chelsea have named Tuchel as their next manager. Can the hobbit pe teacher even come close to the master tactician that is Tuchel?
We're in deep trouble now.
swampash
Legend

1 month ago

...good to see you’re on message dozer
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
jason_uk
Star Man

4 weeks ago

Ogs post match saying utd couldn't be considered title contenders.

Serious question, why not?
They have probably got the best squad along with city. Spent a clean fortune, have one of the highest wage bills.

Yes, the defence is crap, so drop maguire, put a rocket up his arse, or don't play him with lindelof, when the 2 of the continue to be dismal.

At what point should be expect the team to challenge? How long will this rebuilt last, where we are a team who should be happy just to finish in the top 4?
bman2
Legend

3 weeks ago

jason_uk wrote:
4 weeks ago

They have probably got the best squad along with city. Spent a clean fortune, have one of the highest wage bills.

Yes, the defence is crap, so drop maguire, put a rocket up his arse, or don't play him with lindelof, when the 2 of the continue to be dismal.

At what point should be expect the team to challenge? How long will this rebuilt last, where we are a team who should be happy just to finish in the top 4?
Look, what’s really important is that Ole makes Woodward feel comfortable. Don’t you want Woodward to feel happy? Why are you so selfish?

Anyway, I think it’s refreshing to hear a United manager say we shouldn’t try to win titles. I actually think they should stop keeping score, football doesn’t have to be so competitive.
FuB
Legend

3 weeks ago

bman2 wrote:
3 weeks ago
jason_uk wrote:
4 weeks ago

Look, what’s really important is that Ole makes Woodward feel comfortable. Don’t you want Woodward to feel happy? Why are you so selfish?

Anyway, I think it’s refreshing to hear a United manager say we shouldn’t try to win titles. I actually think they should stop keeping score, football doesn’t have to be so competitive.
Nail on head, bman!

It's about time the modern game came into the new millennium. Teams should be more cooperative and work together to create the best spectacle possible. No one wants this boring, tactical shit any more and the only thing that matters nowadays is skills... sorry, skillz. VAR should be repurposed to stop the game as much as possible in order to review a particularly skilful passage of play and having empty stadiums during the pandemic is the perfect opportunity to install voting buttons on each seat so audience participation can be taken to the next level. In-game voting would score each player on a number of crucial factors such as, well, obviously skillz but also marketing potential, agent interference, how much they smile (Martial take note), quality of goal celebration, comedy gurning and political influence (top work, Rashy). At the end of the game, the player with the highest score wins a Ballon D'or.

More stoppages will, of course, make the game far more compelling due to the extra opportunities for advertising, merchandise and in-game refreshment sales (this will, of course, help Shaw improve even further by depleting his burger reserves. One has to be cruel to be kind after all). This also has the added advantage of reducing the number of games that can be played in any one day which will, clearly, have a knock-on effect as to the number of teams that could exist. This could solve all the problems of grass-roots football by eradicating it entirely. It's a win-win... no more struggling teams and, furthermore, less teams to water down the fanbase thus raising revenues for a small number of viable teams.
Rant's official artificial intelligence
Sid
Legend

3 weeks ago

Ole is right though, we aren't title contenders, not until we get a top CB or CDM. We know that, he'll know that, anyone that watches us knows that. We're fatally flawed.
FuB
Legend

3 weeks ago

Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago
Ole is right though, we aren't title contenders, not until we get a top CB or CDM. We know that, he'll know that, anyone that watches us knows that. We're fatally flawed.
Of course he's right but Moyes was crucified for similarly low expectations. Knowing we're not good enough is all well and good but publicly announcing it at the beginning of February seems pretty detrimental to the idea of building a team with a winning mentality
Sid
Legend

3 weeks ago

FuB wrote:
3 weeks ago
Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago
Of course he's right but Moyes was crucified for similarly low expectations. Knowing we're not good enough is all well and good but publicly announcing it at the beginning of February seems pretty detrimental to the idea of building a team with a winning mentality
But saying we're not title contenders is a tactic managers often use to relieve pressure on their players. It's one you'd use on this lot of players cos they've proven that they struggle with the pressure when they're top. They're better off chasing.

Also he can't set the standard that high cos when we drop points against some dossers in a few weeks time he'll get even more flak.

With Moyes n all, we were miles off top when he said that, and he had a team that had just won the league, so it felt hopeless. This doesn't, not to me anyway.
FuB
Legend

3 weeks ago

Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago
FuB wrote:
3 weeks ago
Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago
But saying we're not title contenders is a tactic managers often use to relieve pressure on their players. It's one you'd use on this lot of players cos they've proven that they struggle with the pressure when they're top. They're better off chasing.

Also he can't set the standard that high cos when we drop points against some dossers in a few weeks time he'll get even more flak.

With Moyes n all, we were miles off top when he said that, and he had a team that had just won the league, so it felt hopeless. This doesn't, not to me anyway.
Bear in mind that we've lost 2 and drawn 2 since City leapfrogged us less than 2 weeks ago. The only game we won was the Southampton game. That doesn't really fit that we're better chasing.

I take your point on Moyes and it was a lazy analogy for me to bring up. Even so, I think our mentality is so obviously fragile I'm not sure that a "don't worry about shit results lads, we're not good enough anyway" message is the right one. All remains to be seen, of course.
Sid
Legend

3 weeks ago

FuB wrote:
3 weeks ago
Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago
FuB wrote:
3 weeks ago
Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago

Bear in mind that we've lost 2 and drawn 2 since City leapfrogged us less than 2 weeks ago. The only game we won was the Southampton game. That doesn't really fit that we're better chasing.

I take your point on Moyes and it was a lazy analogy for me to bring up. Even so, I think our mentality is so obviously fragile I'm not sure that a "don't worry about shit results lads, we're not good enough anyway" message is the right one. All remains to be seen, of course.
But the results are one thing, the performances are another and they've been way better since we weren't top. 9-0 against Southampton doesn't happen if we're top. They'd have shit themselves and we'd have struggled to break down their 10 man bus.

You're probably right. But I also don't think you'll ever hear Ole or any other manager tbf say we are good enough to win the league cos it heaps massive pressure on them and their players which in turn makes it harder to perform. Even Fergie only ever said "we'll be up there"