OGS.....

Manchester United chat
dozer
Legend

United should at least topple Chelsea and arsenal who've both spent less over the last few years.
swampash
Legend

bman2 wrote: 4 years ago
Also, the same player can be worth more to a commercially powerful club like United than he would be to, say, Crystal Palace. United should in theory make more money from a player than Palace would with the same player. So United might price him at £50M and Palace might say, that's daft, he's not that good, he's not worth that.
Is that the nub of our inability to get shot of players - we price them too highly based on their value to us as a marketing-asset?
bman2
Legend

swampash wrote: 4 years ago
Also, the same player can be worth more to a commercially powerful club like United than he would be to, say, Crystal Palace. United should in theory make more money from a player than Palace would with the same player. So United might price him at £50M and Palace might say, that's daft, he's not that good, he's not worth that.
Is that the nub of our inability to get shot of players - we price them too highly based on their value to us as a marketing-asset?
I think the wages is the bigger problem.
Lazarus
Legend

swampash wrote: 4 years ago That is really a rather silly argument bman. Not up to your usually high standard.
Angelina Jolie gets her suitcase stuffed full for advertising Louis Vuitton handbags but I don't see anyone suggesting we sign her up to play football.
You're saying the club has too high a valuation on Pogba. I'm pointing out that for such a high profile commercial asset, his value to the club is going to reflect some non-purely football matters. Why are English players "worth more" on the transfer market? Because they have a higher commercial value than a player of similar skill from, say, Slovenia. Especially to an English club.

Hypothetically, if the club figured that Pogba brought in £25M per year in revenue in shirt sales and whatever else, they ought to sell him for at least £100M, or a four years' contract worth of the revenue he produces. Otherwise you'd literally just be handing money over to the club buying him. Obviously it's more complicated -- commercial value has some connection to how good a footballer you are, and good footballers also presumably produce revenue by helping you win tournaments. But I've made my point. You can complain about it, wish it wasn't that way, but a player's price isn't a "score" of how good at football he is.

£180 mill worth of charm....... He wasn't worth 90 mill and his football and charm haven't improved. Thing is nobody is interested in paying the bill for him no matter which way you try to bend the Pogba debacle into a silk purse.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

Like it or not for clubs like United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus etc the commercial value of a player will alway be a consideration, it should never be the primary consideration but it will be considered. Think of Ronaldo going to Madrid, according to some reportsMadrid recovered his transfer fee within the first year and I would expect the same to be true for his move to Juventus. The money generated from the television contract has turned the transfer market on it head; at least in the premier league no one needs to sell players if they don’t want to and therefore even players with no or little commercial value are going for outrageous fees. Ask yourself, what Neymar worth £225M for his football skill alone?

If United have a decent season, qualify for Europe and go far in a cup or two, and Pogba has a good year then Real Madrid will be back next summer willing to pay £180M because they kow they will make money on the deal.
bman2
Legend

If Pogba believes United is competitive, he will stay. He thought he was coming back to the club he left.
marlon
Legend

After Maguire, what would Leicester demand for Maddison. What would Alli cost? No sense making a loss when you’re downgrading.

We’re under no pressure with his contract and the only person who wants him at Madrid is Zidane and who knows how long he’ll last. United don’t want to sell so if no one wants to pay that’s Pogba’s problem, not ours.
swampash
Legend

...trouble is, he can quite easily make it our problem if he drops into sulking mode again.
marlon
Legend

But look how far Neymar has taken it and yet PSG aren’t giving him away. Coutinho and Hazard both went for 100m+ with a year left on their contracts.

I’m not desperate to keep him if he doesn’t want to be here, but I can’t see the sense in handing another club a bargain.
Lazarus
Legend

bman2 wrote: 4 years ago If Pogba believes United is competitive, he will stay. He thought he was coming back to the club he left.
How do you know this? Also, why did he think this? Fergie was gone and we'd just had Moyes and LVG we were nothing like the club he left.

Utter arse gravy.

It was the money....... :wall:
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X