OGS.....

Manchester United chat
swampash
Legend

So if Baggins wants to play a high line, albeit with his standard formation, why play Hercules? Lindelöf and Bailey or McT would be the obvious pairing.
bman2
Legend

swampash wrote: 3 years ago So if Baggins wants to play a high line, albeit with his standard formation, why play Hercules? Lindelöf and Bailey or McT would be the obvious pairing.
He has to play the lump because he can’t admit he blew the budget on a very average centre back just because he was tall and English. And he sold Lukaku to pay for it, and now needs to buy a centre forward, which isn’t going to be cheap. If Maguire and Lukaku were each sold this summer, Maguire would probably go for 30M tops, while Lukaku would be closer to 100M. I’m not a huge fan of Lukaku or anything, but realistically, that was really shit business Ole did that summer.

I’ve literally never heard a non-English pundit rate Maguire over Lindelof. I still can’t get my head around how strange it is that this non-entity cost 80M and is supposedly our captain.
swampash
Legend

...yup; totally agree bman.
bman2
Legend

Interesting interview with Fred, explaining why the first season was hard for him, and so on:
http://sportwitness.co.uk/i-called-flop ... -happened/

This part is funny:

“ And it’s totally different to join a team like United here and Shakhtar in the Ukrainian League. We had the ball there the whole game, in most games. We only attacked, there was almost no danger for the defence. So I played in the last third of the field, even though I was the second midfielder. And here it’s totally different, you sometimes take on the bottom side, you have to defend well and try to score a goal there.”

Not sure that’s the approach most United supporters think we should be taking!
sheesh
Legend

bman2 wrote: 3 years ago
swampash wrote: 3 years ago So if Baggins wants to play a high line, albeit with his standard formation, why play Hercules? Lindelöf and Bailey or McT would be the obvious pairing.
He has to play the lump because he can’t admit he blew the budget on a very average centre back just because he was tall and English. And he sold Lukaku to pay for it, and now needs to buy a centre forward, which isn’t going to be cheap. If Maguire and Lukaku were each sold this summer, Maguire would probably go for 30M tops, while Lukaku would be closer to 100M. I’m not a huge fan of Lukaku or anything, but realistically, that was really shit business Ole did that summer.

I’ve literally never heard a non-English pundit rate Maguire over Lindelof. I still can’t get my head around how strange it is that this non-entity cost 80M and is supposedly our captain.
We signed Lindelof over Van Dijk, apparently. Great business there!
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

Bit off topic but 10 years ago today Fergie fielded this team of 7 defenders that went on to beat Arsenal

bman2
Legend

Sid wrote: 3 years ago Bit off topic but 10 years ago today Fergie fielded this team of 7 defenders that went on to beat Arsenal

I remember that well. I was horrified at the line up, and then they were ace. Ferguson had an unparalleled ability to rotate his squad. I don’t know how he made it look so easy. And there were players like O’Shea and Fletcher that he’d happily stick in any position.
Fuck the Glazers
Legend

bman2 wrote: 3 years ago
Sid wrote: 3 years ago Bit off topic but 10 years ago today Fergie fielded this team of 7 defenders that went on to beat Arsenal

I remember that well. I was horrified at the line up, and then they were ace. Ferguson had an unparalleled ability to rotate his squad. I don’t know how he made it look so easy. And there were players like O’Shea and Fletcher that he’d happily stick in any position.
In some ways these lineups show Fergie's genius more than the Ronaldo & Rooney era, the class of 92, the 94 team etc. cos he managed to get results out of average players playing out of position in totally lopsided teams. We didn't appreciate it at the time, but that 11 v Arsenal is great, it's almost banter.
JoelfuckingGlazer
Legend

It was the mentality. You'd see poor performances, sure. But you rarely saw players playing like they weren't arsed - they just didn't last if they approached games in that way.
swampash
Legend

He would have had a proper captain too.