dozer wrote:
3 months ago
You're a moron fubs.
kettle wishes the butthurt pot a happy new year too
Rant's official artificial intelligence
fat maradona
Legend

3 months ago

ooooh, it's been a while since we had a trash talking match....
Sid
Legend

3 months ago

In the last 4 games we've beaten two teams in the top 4, drawn with Leicester who're third (should have beaten em n all), and beaten Wolves who're a ballache

More wins than any other Prem team too

Not bad from the hobbit
sheesh
Legend

3 months ago

Well done to Ole for getting us to 2nd.

I still don't think we have enough quality to mount a sustained challenge for the title, but that's not his fault.
dozer
Legend

3 months ago

Ole out eh lads? :))
Tactically naive manager is doing well (so far) again in his third straight season with us.
He's improved Rashford, Shaw, Fred, Matic, Bruno, greenwood and maybe Pogba. Our defenders still need improving.

"I hope Ole succeeds but I think he's tactically naive and lacks big balls"

All these complaints about tactics and strategies are clearly to camouflage the issue that he isn't a galactico manager. I mean, Pool have Klopp, City have Guardiola and we just have Ole. That's the real issue right? He's no where in the league of these managers when it comes to galacticoness.

"Let's see how we perform without Bruno"
reminds me of this gem..
"Can he do it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke?"
:))
bman2
Legend

3 months ago

sheesh wrote:
3 months ago
I still don't think we have enough quality to mount a sustained challenge for the title, but that's not his fault.
I don’t think that’s true. Objectively, we’ve taken the squad that came second under Jose, and added a whole team’s worth of players to it. I think our mediocre results last season masked the quality of this squad. We ought to be competing for the title.

The only notable departure from the squad that got 81 points is Lukaku, and maybe Smalling. In exchange, we’ve added Fernandes, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, de Beek, Fred, Cavani, Telles, Henderson, and James. Greenwood and Tuanzebe are two years older. And we have Diablo and Pellistri. And then players like Pogba, Shaw, and Bailly are fit.

The strange thing about United recently, is that Jose’s football was so boring that everyone seems to have forgotten that we got 81 points. And then last season the football was so mediocre (except Bruno) that despite adding all these players, practically no one was saying we should be competing for the title.

Objectively our squad is very strong, stronger than it’s been in a decade.
dozer
Legend

3 months ago

bman2 wrote:
3 months ago
sheesh wrote:
3 months ago
I don’t think that’s true. Objectively, we’ve taken the squad that came second under Jose, and added a whole team’s worth of players to it. I think our mediocre results last season masked the quality of this squad. We ought to be competing for the title.

The only notable departure from the squad that got 81 points is Lukaku, and maybe Smalling. In exchange, we’ve added Fernandes, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, de Beek, Fred, Cavani, Telles, Henderson, and James. Greenwood and Tuanzebe are two years older. And we have Diablo and Pellistri. And then players like Pogba, Shaw, and Bailly are fit.

The strange thing about United recently, is that Jose’s football was so boring that everyone seems to have forgotten that we got 81 points. And then last season the football was so mediocre (except Bruno) that despite adding all these players, practically no one was saying we should be competing for the title.

You mean subjectively right?
You picked the one season we came second in, ignoring the other seasons we finished 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. The most recent was us tumbling downhill under Jose.
In terms of money spent we should be competing, yes. True for all the managers we've had. Looks like it's happening only now actually so objectively speaking are you saying Ole out based on this "logic" ?
Sid
Legend

3 months ago

bman2 wrote:
3 months ago
sheesh wrote:
3 months ago

It's also cos we finished 19 points off top, so finishing second exaggerates the socalled achievement. And it was a trophyless season.

81 points isn't good enough in the Klopp / Guardiola era. Liverpool finished on 99 points last season, before that City 98, then City 100. So 100 is the new standard.

But obviously in this covid hit season no one's gonna get anywhere near that. Squads are beginning to lose key players to covid too. City have lost Jesus. If we lose Fernandes for 2/3 weeks or Liverpool lose Salah or Firminho it's a massive advantage to the other one.
bman2
Legend

3 months ago

Sid wrote:
3 months ago
bman2 wrote:
3 months ago
sheesh wrote:
3 months ago

It's also cos we finished 19 points off top, so finishing second exaggerates the socalled achievement. And it was a trophyless season.

81 points isn't good enough in the Klopp / Guardiola era. Liverpool finished on 99 points last season, before that City 98, then City 100. So 100 is the new standard.

But obviously in this covid hit season no one's gonna get anywhere near that. Squads are beginning to lose key players to covid too. City have lost Jesus. If we lose Fernandes for 2/3 weeks or Liverpool lose Salah or Firminho it's a massive advantage to the other one.
81 points is still a notable achievement, because we've never even come close to it in any other post-Ferguson season. 81 points would probably win you the title this season. The point I'm making is that, so far, the narrative that Ole has improved on his predecessors is objectively not true. Only Moyes managed a lower points total (64) than we achieved last season (66). Likewise, the narrative that he's had no money to spend is also objectively not true. We've added a fuck load of players to the squad, several players for every part of the pitch. We've spent basically the same as we did under Jose and Gaal. Jose and Gaal sold players too. Jose and Gaal were obviously also starting out with shitter squads.

Do I hope Ole will do well? Of course. If we keep up our current league form, we're on course for a high 70s finish, which might be enough to win the league this year. That'll be great. I just don't have time for the obvious club PR that Ole has *ALREADY* done better than his predecessors. It's simply false: so far, he has managed fewer points than Gaal and Jose, and hasn't won anything, unlike both of them.

But even if we won the league on 78 points, that would still only be a platform to build from. As you point out, the recent standard is closer to 100 points. So if next season was back to normal, we'd still have to do a fuck lot better than we are this season to have a chance of winning. Winning this season will be a bit like Leicester winning with 81 points a few seasons ago. It would obviously be great, but it wouldn't mean that we were suddenly back were we needed to be to compete every year.