United set to create DoF role

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Mata's book has nice things to say about Gaal. Seems like a good guy, though a stickler for rules that might get on some players' nerves. I think one thing that went really wrong with Gaal's time here is that he had always worked at clubs with DoFs. I think he was shocked to get to United after the WC and find fuck all in times of recruitments structure and strategy. We ended up depending on agents (di Maria, Falcao), or players Gaal knew from the Dutch team (Memphis, Blind). Did the same thing with Mourinho -- signed this manager, but then didn't want to do things the way he'd always done things (preferring proven, experienced players, physicality, etc.). The problem is Woodward and whoever else has a say doesn't understand these managers, or what they need to succeed.
dozer
Legend

1 month ago

Problem with Gaal wasn't actually his football but his signings. Everyone was crap and they made his football shite. We could see what he was trying to do but what he ended up doing was playing possession football with no creativity. His signings were all crap. His football was the most boring of them all.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Gaal identified that passing the football and pressing high is the way forward. It wasn't a stroke of genius, most of the top teams were doing it, and even division 2/3 teams. This part of his philosophy (remember that word) was bang on.

But rather than build on that, we went backwards with Mourinho who still plays park they bus & hoof it, which is shite and ineffective. We had multiple lessons, being dominated by relegation Boro, played off the pitch at OT by championship Derby - and again on wednesday when league one Rochdale knocked it around better than us.

We backed a dud in Pulis, now we're really fucking far behind. We still can't pass the football & dominate teams, and our press is headless chicken shite.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

1 month ago

Its easy to be caught up in emotion at the time and similarly, time can dull you memory. I do recall finding Gaal's football sterile as fuck towards the back end and I wanted him gone. In retrospect, that was probably the one time where we had a genuine platform to push on. The biggest failing with Gaal's approach is that we didn't have the cutting edge. It was possession for possessions sake because we didn't have a Silva, or De Bruyne. We didn't have the forwards that could flick through the gears and open teams up.

I do also remember though that our performance at Anfield under him was the most commanding I can remember for many years.

Again, recruitment was our biggest failing. As has been the case ever since we let Ronaldo and Tevez go and replaced them with Valencia and Owen. Our squad has been going backwards ever since.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

1 month ago

gaal had us attempting to win football matches with paddy mcnair tyler blacket and donald love, that should’ve been the last time we “give youth a chance”
lkhm

hoofing
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

We gazumped Spurs to Gaal and they turned to Pochettino instead. How depressing is that? Woodward's brilliant intervention. Mind you, if we'd hired Pochettino, I'm sure the club wouldn't have properly backed him, and we've have sacked him within a couple of seasons. I wouldn't have chosen Gaal or Mourinho to be United manager, but whoever you choose, you might as well go all in with their philosophy, otherwise you're just wasting everybody's time and money. Who the fuck is Woodward to question Gaal or Mourinho on football matters? If the club had backed Jose last summer, gotten him Maguire, we would have saved a lot of money and probably be in the CL now. We ended up buying Maguire anyway, a year later and a season wasted, for more money. Fucking stupid. Now it looks like another season wasted already.
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

What about Nuno Espirito Santo for the job post Ole?

Plays good modern football, powerful midfield, has great links to quality players from portugal
RedDevilinAZ
First Teamer

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago

Plays good modern football, powerful midfield, has great links to quality players from portugal
Ed wants to know if he will work for cheap?
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

RedDevilinAZ wrote:
1 month ago
Sid wrote:
1 month ago
posting.php?mode=quote&f=3&t=2620&p=156359#
Ed wants to know if he will work for cheap?
Probably. He's not proven he's a top manager yet so Ed won't have to pay him like one.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Sanchez has scored twice for Inter this afternoon. The evidence keeps mounting that United is just shite.