United set to create DoF role

Manchester United chat
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Signing three expected starters in one summer is not that big of a challenge, especially when the club itself went into the summer briefing about rebuilds. A lot of supporters were worried the club would only sign one midfielder when it was clear two were needed. How fucking naive that now looks.

Clubs like Juve, Barca, and Real have done a lot more business than us, signing lots of players and some really big players, and their windows are still open for a few weeks. That's what proper big clubs can do.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
It's a bit much to expect the club to radically overhaul the midfield and defence in one go. FFP might have stung us as well. But we needed at least one midfielder. If Pogba leaves we're truly fucked.
Maguire and AwB should make a big difference. I like those deals. I like the James deal too, let's see how he does. I'd like to see Lukaku go and I'm not arsed about a replacement - Martial, Rashford and Greenwood can cover the central role. If Mandzukic comes, fair enough, I'm not arsed either way.

What we're then missing is a top wide forward, a box to box ballwinner and someone who can pull the strings. I dont see any of those coming this window, so let's see how Garner, Chong and Gomes do this season. Great opportunity for them.

I'd feel better if we had a proper, proven coach, but we'll go with what weve got. I think we'll be better than last season and I expect it to be 2-3 years before we compete at the top even if we're well run. Top 4, better football, more tempo and energy with and without the ball and the emergence of a couple of younger player would make it a decent season.
Lazarus
Legend

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
The club is clearly briefing now that there will be no more players coming in. Eriksen not interested, unsurprisingly. Dybala not interested. The fact that we were chasing two high profile players who weren't interested, in the last week of the window, shows that whatever our strategy was, it failed badly. Also shows what a nonsense it is for Ole to be saying he's happy with the squad. Obvious bullshit.

In the end, we're a step up from Leicester for British players now. That's our place. Frankly Jose was right to throw a strop last summer and Pogba is right to want out, because United has become a waste of time for anyone with ambition.
Jose.... =))

Hope Pogba gets his way, I mean someone with that much ambition needs much better teams mates or the plan won't work......
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Sid wrote:
1 month ago
If Pogba leaves we're truly fucked.
Scary, innit. What would it be, a midfield three of Mata, Matic, and McTominay? Fred and Pereira as backups. Fuck's sake. Now that he's looking down the barrel of a season that's a waste of time, I could see Pogba really kicking off. We didn't even replace Herrera ffs.
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

These are players who joined and already left us since Ferguson retired:

Herrera
Fellaini
Blind
Mkhitaryan
Ibrahimovic
Schneiderlin
Depay
Schweinsteiger
Di Maria
Falcao

And here's another five who've joined since Ferguson, who nobody would miss if they left tomorrow:
Lukaku
Rojo
Darmian
Mata
Bailly

Insane stuff. That's a whole team, a very expensive one, plus a few subs.
marlon
Legend

1 month ago

"Where the Reds may be leaving themselves short is in signing a more defensive-minded midfielder after the recent departures of Ander Herrera and Marouane Fellaini.

It was thought United had prioritised this area for the summer, and held interest in Declan Rice and Sean Longstaff, but with neither attainable for a reasonable fee (Newcastle want £50million for Longstaff), it's looking likely that they won't be able to bring in a midfield player."
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... y-16715249

How was the whole list just Rice and Longstaff. 'prioritised'
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

marlon wrote:
1 month ago

Can you suggest another decent defensive midfielder who's also British?
marlon
Legend

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
These are players who joined and already left us since Ferguson retired:

Herrera
Fellaini
Blind
Mkhitaryan
Ibrahimovic
Schneiderlin
Depay
Schweinsteiger
Di Maria
Falcao

And here's another five who've joined since Ferguson, who nobody would miss if they left tomorrow:
Lukaku
Rojo
Darmian
Mata
Bailly

Insane stuff. That's a whole team, a very expensive one, plus a few subs.
It goes back further than that really. 2007 onwards, the only long term success is de Gea. Otherwise the best were RVP (one season), Berba, Nani and Hernandez. The ones that stuck around - Jones, Smalling, Valencia and Young are mostly hated by fans as symbols of our fall.
ashleyfuckingyoung
Legend

1 month ago

marlon wrote:
1 month ago
"Where the Reds may be leaving themselves short is in signing a more defensive-minded midfielder after the recent departures of Ander Herrera and Marouane Fellaini.

It was thought United had prioritised this area for the summer, and held interest in Declan Rice and Sean Longstaff, but with neither attainable for a reasonable fee (Newcastle want £50million for Longstaff), it's looking likely that they won't be able to bring in a midfield player."
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... y-16715249

That's a key position for me too. Maybe we're hoping Fred comes good. We've plenty there in terms of numbers - fred, mctominay, Matic, Perreira, Garner coming through. But none you'd hang your hat on.
marlon
Legend

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
marlon wrote:
1 month ago

Can you suggest another decent defensive midfielder who's also British?
Choudhury should've been the one if we were going to buy a DM after 9 PL games. Maybe Lewis Cook? British is tough, but young and PL proven - Neves, Ndidi, Dendoncker. Nothing amazing but the bar can't be that high if we limit ourselves like this.