Lukaku signs for 75m

Manchester United chat
Steggo
Legend

1 year ago

Fat bastard out, Jovic in! Well, it is the Theatre of Dreams.
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

“I have a contract with Man United. I’ll speak with my club and my agent Federico Pastorello to make the best decision. I am going to enjoy my holidays with my family now. I know what I’ll do, but won’t say it. We’ll see. If I expect a busy summer? Yes.”

Sounds promising. Getting rid of Pulis' 100m shithouse is key to us playing better football.

The BBC report the only thing stopping him joining Inter is Ed whose holding out for 62m. Fair play n all, we've got all summer, might as well try and recoup as much of Joses half a billion as possible.
dozer
Legend

1 year ago

Problem is, he still is our top scorer. Pogba has one more but a lot of them are pens.
I'm not convinced Rashford is good enough to lead the line. Perhaps Martial can step up again as a striker. That was originally his position.
But yes, I'd sell for a good price. Get rid of mediocrity.
bman2
Legend

1 year ago

Yep, he'll need replacing.
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

the general rumours have been that Conte wants him at Inter and there've been various swap deals with players like Icardi, Perisic, blah blah mooted. I assume none of these has met Woodward's valuation of Lukaku and they're dragging their heels on that basis. The risk, of course, is that we fail to offload him till it's too late to find the needed replacement... unless they buy first and then sell him, but then they have the risk of not being able to get rid and being stuck with him.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

dozer wrote:
1 year ago
Problem is, he still is our top scorer. Pogba has one more but a lot of them are pens.
I'm not convinced Rashford is good enough to lead the line. Perhaps Martial can step up again as a striker. That was originally his position.
It bodes well that such a limited footballer who can't even do the basics consistently like control the ball is our top goalscorer. Imagine what a decent CF could do.

I don't think Rashford is his replacement, he's more a 10 than a 9 as he plays between the lines and links play. Some of our best football was played between him and Pogba. I don't think we need a world class CF. There aren't many around these days anyway. Just need a decent CF that can control the ball, run for 90 minutes and play in behind will help us a lot when you have Rashford, Pogba and Martial linking play.
dozer
Legend

1 year ago

Sid wrote:
1 year ago
dozer wrote:
1 year ago
It bodes well that such a limited footballer who can't even do the basics consistently like control the ball is our top goalscorer. Imagine what a decent CF could do.

I don't think Rashford is his replacement, he's more a 10 than a 9 as he plays between the lines and links play. Some of our best football was played between him and Pogba. I don't think we need a world class CF. There aren't many around these days anyway. Just need a decent CF that can control the ball, run for 90 minutes and play in behind will help us a lot when you have Rashford, Pogba and Martial linking play.
There is no way we'll win a title with just a "decent CF".
I know, we're not winning anything for the next few years anyway, but if we're buiding a team for the future, we need more than a decent CF.
Steggo
Legend

1 year ago

At least his two goals last night will maintain/add to his value. He’s now Belgium’s leading goal scorer. Still hope he goes.
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

dozer wrote:
1 year ago
Sid wrote:
1 year ago
dozer wrote:
1 year ago

I know, we're not winning anything for the next few years anyway, but if we're buiding a team for the future, we need more than a decent CF.
I guess it can be a bit of a chicken and egg question but I think the building of a team for the future would do better to concentrate on the basics like, well, playing as a team, creating chances, etc.

This notwithstanding the fact that attracting a top level striker (or any top level player) is somewhat hamstrung by lack of champions league football and the "opportunity" to come to a club in disarray... or you offer stupid cash to greedy players and keep this vicious circle rolling along.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

dozer wrote:
1 year ago
Sid wrote:
1 year ago
dozer wrote:
1 year ago

You answered your own statement - we're not winning the title next season anyway, we're building for the future, so buying a decent CF who we can develop is the only option we have.

There aren't many top 9s about anymore. The main ones, Aguero, Lewandowski and Suarez are 30 + so at their peak on the slide. Not a lot of teams play with a classic 9 anymore, only really Tottenham in the top 6, Chelsea when they start Giroud, Aguero I suppose