Scholes or Gerrard?

Manchester United chat
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

2 years ago

bman2 wrote:Well I was pointing out at the time that he was not doing a good job before the slip. Defensively that is. If they hadn't dropped points with shit defending on prior occasions, the slip wouldn't have cost them so much. It's not so much that I blame the slip for them losing the league, more that I think the slip was an almost comical demonstration of one of that team's fundamental problems, which was always there. I do think it mad that even after the slip, he went to the WC explicitly to do "the carrick role", but carrick wasn't even in the squad.

At the end of the day Rogers was a bluffer. They went hell for leather, but you just can't win the league shipping so many goals. Rogers didn't have a clue about how to go about tightening it up while still being an attacking force.

The counter example is Mourinho's Chelsea the season before last: he tightened it up at the back in the second half of the season, at the expense of the attack, with two DMs, and it got them across the line.

On the other hand, Liverpool supporters were probably pretty thoroughly entertained that season, there's a lot to be said for that.
But that's the issue right there... you focus only on his defensive contribution, and ignore his attacking stats... Liverpool conceded a few goals because he was caught out of position, or not tracking a runner... fair enough... but he scored 13 goals, and led the league in assists... I think it's fair to say that he probably contributed to more wins than losses... if Klopp takes Liverpool to the end of this season and they finish second, do you think the Dippers are going to be throwing rotten eggs at him for being too gung-ho, claiming "they could have won it, if they'd been tighter at the back", or will they be celebrating a great season that almost was?

Gerrard may not have been YOUR IDEA of a great defensive, holding mid... but he still had a fuck of season, and contributed a hell of a lot to their season, in that role...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

On a lighter note imagine Gerrard in his prime playing under Klopp, all those runs, all that combative stuff, boundless energy, aving it ness. Would have been a sight
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

2 years ago

Sid wrote:On a lighter note imagine Gerrard in his prime playing under Klopp, all those runs, all that combative stuff, boundless energy, aving it ness. Would have been a sight
Imagine the Rooney of 7/8 years ago, under Klopp...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Sid
Legend

2 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Sid wrote:On a lighter note imagine Gerrard in his prime playing under Klopp, all those runs, all that combative stuff, boundless energy, aving it ness. Would have been a sight
Yep. Imagine them both in the same team.
Lazarus
Legend

2 years ago

Sid wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Like for England.... If you close your eyes you could just about imagine.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Davel
Legend

2 years ago

most of the worlds greatest players said it themselves, scholes by a mile
gerrard played well for Liverpool, but was shite for England
and couldn`t win a fight for southport.
Last edited by Davel on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just1n
Legend

2 years ago

Lazarus wrote:
Sid wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
Like for England.... If you close your eyes you could just about imagine.
:)) QFT! Indeed.
[color=#008000]GLAZERS[/color] [color=#FF8000]OUT![/color]
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

2 years ago

I tell you what... I'd like to see Klopp in charge of England!
just1n
Legend

2 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:I tell you what... I'd like to see Klopp in charge of England!
What would the "experts" say when he fucks off Sturridge to the bench. Not having that.
[color=#008000]GLAZERS[/color] [color=#FF8000]OUT![/color]
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

2 years ago

just1n wrote:
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:I tell you what... I'd like to see Klopp in charge of England!
What would the "experts" say when he fucks off Sturridge to the bench. Not having that.
I don't particularly care about the formations or team selections... I'd just like to see a manager instill some courage in the way we play... that would be a start, and could lead to better things, like self belief...