i back this lot

Manchester United chat
kramer
Youth Teamer

5 years ago

smalling is class at centre back. he should be starting there with jones there every time they're fit. they've got pace, strength, aerial prowess and are good at reading the game.
the olympiakos game was actually frigthening if you watched rio and vidic. they had all the time and space in the world when we had the ball, but could not find a midfielder with a pass. in years gone by rio would have run the ball into the opposition half himself, but he was terrified of losing it and being caught out, so he kept punting it up field. the sheer number of times we had throw ins by the opposition's corner flag and played it all the way back to de gea.....
basically, 2 out of smalling, jones and evans should start at centre back every time they're fit. we had a replacement right back (fabio) but froze him out till he left and then started playing centre halves and right wingers in the position. its a gigantic clusterfuck.
dozer
Legend

5 years ago

kramer wrote:smalling is class at centre back. he should be starting there with jones there every time they're fit. they've got pace, strength, aerial prowess and are good at reading the game.
The problem is Smalling and Jones both are way too injury prone to form a partnership, let alone play consistently.
This has been Moyes' biggest headache, our central defenders get injured all the bloody time.
I rate Smalling as a centre-back, I'd make him and Evans first choice central players.
Jones, let him be our O'Shea until he can identify what his best position is.

Unfortunately injuries can ruin their career. Moyes can't risk having an other season with having a different back 4 every game.
Next season, I think he'll go for a centre back with a good fitness history. This will mean less playing time for Smalling and possibly Jones in the back 4 positions.
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

5 years ago

dozer wrote:
kramer wrote:smalling is class at centre back. he should be starting there with jones there every time they're fit. they've got pace, strength, aerial prowess and are good at reading the game.
The problem is Smalling and Jones both are way too injury prone to form a partnership, let alone play consistently.
This has been Moyes' biggest headache, our central defenders get injured all the bloody time.
I rate Smalling as a centre-back, I'd make him and Evans first choice central players.
Jones, let him be our O'Shea until he can identify what his best position is.
Everyone knows what his best position is... except you, I guess...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
dozer
Legend

5 years ago

You mean centreback? He's tall but he can't jump. He isn't a good centre back.
Maybe in midfield.... or right back... O'Shea. But much much more talented.
marlon
Legend

5 years ago

dozer wrote:You mean centreback? He's tall but he can't jump. He isn't a good centre back.
Maybe in midfield.... or right back... O'Shea. But much much more talented.
He's played 15 games at CB in his 2.5 years at United in the league. In that time he's comfortably our worst CB in terms of conceding shots, shots on target and goals. In context, we also outscore the opposition by a wider margin than with any other CB, bar Evans.

He's only had 15 games though, spread over multiple seasons. He's only had 10 games with his most common partner (Evans) and in that small sample they have dominated teams. Defensively, our best partnership is Smalling-Evans and our best defender is Vidic, but they offer less going forward and particularly with Vidic, restrict how adventurous the rest of the team can be. We score a goal more when Jones or Evans play compared to when Vidic plays. Vidic is not so good defensively that he can make up for that.

Jones-Evans should be our first choice. I like Smalling, but he's too one footed and offers so little in possession (otherwise Smalling-Evans would be my choice). Even if Jones doesn't work out, he's done enough in the limited chances he's had to get a longer run at CB.
lkhmffsstopmovingabout
Legend

4 years ago

lkhmffsstopmovingabout wrote:smalling
welbeck
fabio
nani
giggs
evans

but not this lot

anderson
ceverley
fletcher
fellaini
hernandez
young
valencia
rio
buttner
evra

look at all that fucking dross
absolutely spot on about smalling tbf
lkhm

hoofing
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

4 years ago

Aye, and I still think Jones will come good as well...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."