Ryder Cup

Discuss other sports here
User avatar
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend
Posts: 13446
Joined: 6 years ago

5 years ago

Get in...

USA stuffed...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 15436
Joined: 6 years ago

5 years ago

Fucking golf...................
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Spudiator
Star Man
Posts: 736
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Horsham

5 years ago

Lazarus wrote:Fucking golf...................
My thoughts exactly, only cricket could be more tedious!
User avatar
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend
Posts: 13446
Joined: 6 years ago

5 years ago

Or Hurling...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
User avatar
Pikey McScum
Star Man
Posts: 933
Joined: 6 years ago

5 years ago

I bucking love the golf - can't play for shit, but by gawd it's great stuff!
Alfonso Bedoya wrote:Or Hurling...
I imagine you're going fishing with this one - hurling's a colossal sport! Much better than rounders....sorry, cricket
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 15436
Joined: 6 years ago

5 years ago

Spudiator wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Fucking golf...................
My thoughts exactly, only cricket could be more tedious!
The game itself is ok i suppose but not my cup of tea. It's more the absolute number of arseholes that i've met that play it on an amateur level.

BTW the hurlers i've met are mostly fucking mental. I played at school until i got whacked and thought fuck that.........
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
sheesh

5 years ago

Golf is shit.

Millions of people of all ages and backgrounds love watching cricket, not just across the Indian subcontinent but around the world. It inspires a level of fanaticism that golf cannot match.

Try watching an India v Pakistan match and tell me it's dull. Try watching a 20/20 game or a fifty over game if you can't stomach a test series.

If there's one thing the British got right during the days of the Empire, it was introducing cricket to the world.
sheesh

5 years ago

MAX CLIFFORD wrote:
sheesh wrote:Golf is shit.

Millions of people of all ages and backgrounds love watching cricket, not just across the Indian subcontinent but around the world. It inspires a level of fanaticism that golf cannot match.

Try watching an India v Pakistan match and tell me it's dull. Try watching a 20/20 game or a fifty over game if you can't stomach a test series.

If there's one thing the British got right during the days of the Empire, it was introducing cricket to the world.
Don't talk fuckin shite!! The British don't give a flying fuck about cricket. Like the rest of Europe, USA, South America, The Midlle east, the Far East. There's a perfectly good reason why the vast majority of the world doesn't recognise it, and that's because its fuckin dreadful. The Ryder cup is absolutely spellbinding. Those guys are not sportmen, they are artists. Golf is the most popular participant ball sport on the planet. "FACT"!!. There's an old saying that goes back many years about cricketers, and that's that they are the ones from school who were too slow to play football and too bollockless to play rugby! Sky keep pushing it on telly, but when the reporter is reporting live from any of the county games, the fact that the stadium behind him is totally empty tells its own story. Generally, no fucker is interested. Cricket in the sporting world simply doesn't exist. Its cricket after all. And its seen as an English sport. A tradition. But even Sky use it as an air time filler. It generates no revenue but the old farts in grey suits keep pushing it. But its only ever been deemed as a stocking filler minority sport, and rightly so.
You trot out tired cliches about cricket in England and completely ignore how popular it is in countries like West Indies, Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan. You also ignore the popularity of formats like 20/20 (or T20 as it's known). You also ignore the fact that cricket is steadily growing in popularity in traditionally non cricket playing countries, even in the US. Even the Netherlands and Kenya have proper teams and compete against the established sides. Australia, a sports mad country, loves its cricket. You talk about participation. Some of my happiest childhood memories are when I used to go to India and played cricket in the streets with other kids. Many kids come from families that don't have two pennies to rub together but they still find a way to play (even using sticks). The game's popularity is insane over there.

Can you imagine kids in some of the world's poorest countries wanting to be the next Rory McIlroy? Nope. They want to be Kevin Pietersen or Virat Kohli. I walked out of Hyderabad airport a few years ago and there was a massive billboard with Pietersen's face on it.

As for cricket's popularity in England, has it ever occurred to you that, if there's a test match on a Thursday morning, it won't be a full house because people have to be at work. Duh! Why don't you turn the telly on at the weekend or towards close of play on a weekday evening or when a 20/20 game is on? Or when there's a match on that doesn't suit your argument about there not being a full house? I went to a test match a few weeks ago between England and India and it was a full house (Indian fans were massively outnumbered, I hasten to add). In fact, I've seen England play 3 times and it was a full house every time.

English cricket's revival (relative to where things were in the early to mid 90s) can, in part, be attributed to Channel 4 and Sky TV as their coverage got more people watching the sport. Increased coverage has opened up people's eyes in this country. A Britain-born Pakistani player ripped the Indian batting attack to pieces. More Asians born in this country want to play for the England team. An ex-Pakistani international is part of the England coaching team. International players from all over the world are playing in the IPL. This is generating interest, and not just in India.
User avatar
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend
Posts: 13446
Joined: 6 years ago

5 years ago

To be fair Sheesh, cricket is dying in the West Indies... there is still a cricket heritage, but it's mostly the older generation... more and more kids are being won over by the money and star appeal of American sports, which is where a lot of their telly comes from... especially basketball, and baseball...

When was the last time you saw a great W.I. team??? ...I think maybe the mid/late 90s...and I doubt you'll ever see another?
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
sheesh

5 years ago

I'm not up on where they are right now but not all that long ago the west Indies seemed to go through a mini revival, when they played well in one or two of the limited overs tournaments.

Chris Gayle was their star player. I'm not sure if he's still a key man. I know he went to play in India for a bit.

You are right, though. They are nowhere near as good as they used to be. If the level of interest isn't quite what it was, maybe that's a factor. I don't know.
Post Reply