Brexit

Political Debate
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

Well, plot twist

Farage, backed by Trump, reckon Johnson's deal's a load of shit. Trump is threatening to cancel US trade deals (vital to Johnson's brexit) and Farage is threatening to stand against the tories in every seat, thus splitting the brexit vote, and handing 30/40 constituencies to labour https://www.britishelectionstudy.com/un ... bxWim_7RHe

So they're holding Johnson to ransom to force a harder brexit, which Johnson will have to bow to or else the tories will be wiped out

Like I've always said, brexit isn't a crisis, it's just a tory crisis
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

"The fall of the green party from a left wing environmentalist party to a centrist remain obsessed tool of the lib dems at the time of a climate emergency is really something"

In the upcoming election greens have formed a pact with the lib dems to get more remainers elected, that's the lib dems whose useless net zero climate plans for 2045 have been called a death sentence by climate scientists. They're also standing aside for tory independents that supported austerity, bedroom tax, welfare cap whose climate credentials are also an absolute crock of shit.

The greens have gone all in for toxic capitalism that's now known to be destroying the planet, at a time of literal ecological breakdown and a major extinction event, in order to remain in the eu

I just can't even
swampash
Legend

2 weeks ago

...yeah, it's pretty embarrassing when you compare the Greens in Germany with the UK Greens Sid.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
marlon
Legend

2 weeks ago

Thought corbyn did really well on that question time thing (labour also have easily the best brexit policy now). Boris looks as bad as May but Britain just loves the tories.
Sid
Legend

2 weeks ago

swampash wrote:
2 weeks ago
...yeah, it's pretty embarrassing when you compare the Greens in Germany with the UK Greens Sid.
Innit. They used to be ahead of the curve, proposing radical policies that climate scientists now say are essential. But now labour have the best environmental policies, and the greens have been left behind.
Sid
Legend

2 weeks ago

marlon wrote:
2 weeks ago
Thought corbyn did really well on that question time thing (labour also have easily the best brexit policy now). Boris looks as bad as May but Britain just loves the tories.
There's a lot of good stuff written about the individualist mindset neoliberalism is based on, that "I'm alright jack" shite and "I'm doing the best for my family" which invariably means shitting on the family nextdoor. I remember a few ranters saying this when they tried to justify voting tory. Truth is your family does better when the one nextdoor does well also. Progress is only made colectively. But that requires empathy, understanding and proper effective action.

Personally I've seen the country become a lot more selfish then when I was young, and I come from a proper rough arsed council estate background where mutual aid and solidarity is the undercurrent that keeps us all going, like the tight knit matriarchal hessle road community that we come from. But things are changing, like the creation of food banks rather than letting people starve. And labour changing the discourse back to poverty rather than pandering their policies to middle class floating voters. 10 years ago people on this very forum ranted and raged about scroungers signing on. That's all gone now. There's more understanding for those people after a decade of class war under the guise of austerity.