Brexit

Political Debate
Sid
Legend

1 month ago

:))

“I don’t think that’s our boys making up that new change of law,” he told The Debate on Sky Sports. “I think that’s people telling us what we should do with our game. Now, they should stop doing that. I hope we get out of Brexit, because that’s what we all voted for, and sort that out, because you cannot have someone telling us how to do our own game.”

As utterly fucking ridiculous this is, it's the dominant attitude in the FA, and also popular amongst players, pundits etc

That's what informs shit like batshit members of the FA trying to get all world cups played in the UK, all CL finals at wembley - because it's "our game"
Sid
Legend

3 weeks ago

People are genuinely shocked that a hereditary rich landowning monarch is enabling right wing policy by allowing Johnson to prorogue parliament

Madness
FuB
Legend

3 weeks ago

Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago
People are genuinely shocked that a hereditary rich landowning monarch is enabling right wing policy by allowing Johnson to prorogue parliament

Madness
are they? I hadn't noticed that anyone really thought she could do any more than say yes. it's all a formality, isn't it?
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
FuB
Legend

3 weeks ago

Sid
Legend

3 weeks ago

FuB wrote:
3 weeks ago
Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago

Madness
are they? I hadn't noticed that anyone really thought she could do any more than say yes. it's all a formality, isn't it?
Have you not been on twitter? Shitloads of remainers are aghast. Many genuinely thought the queen would step in, and presumably stand up for parliamentary democracy, because they think she's just a famous celebrity with a bit of power. They don't know what monarchy is. It's moronic. There was a hope she's use the royal prerogative, or at very least her influence to stop it. So now they're hysterical.
FuB
Legend

3 weeks ago

Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago
FuB wrote:
3 weeks ago
Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago

Madness
Have you not been on twitter? Shitloads of remainers are aghast. Many genuinely thought the queen would step in, and presumably stand up for parliamentary democracy, because they think she's just a famous celebrity with a bit of power. They don't know what monarchy is. It's moronic. There was a hope she's use the royal prerogative, or at very least her influence to stop it. So now they're hysterical.
I have to say, i'm not that arsed with twitter in general because it fuels that sort of hysteria. The phenomenon isn't restricted to twitter of course.

I'll admit, I'd just assumed that less people were so fucking stupid to think that the monarchy can have any effect on British political process other than in a wanky figurehead capacity. Certainly none of the sensible media were reporting it as anything other than a formality.

That said, I agree with your initial post in terms of it being "madness" for anyone to think she might have said no but I don't really agree with your premise that it's some sort of establishment conspiracy. If Corbyn were in power he'd have been able to use the exact same legislation to do something that's a fairly typical parliamentary process. The issue in this case is how it's being used as a smokescreen with the associated "we'd never do a thing like that" indignance from boris and his cronies.
Sid
Legend

3 weeks ago

FuB wrote:
3 weeks ago
Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago
FuB wrote:
3 weeks ago
Sid wrote:
3 weeks ago

Madness
I have to say, i'm not that arsed with twitter in general because it fuels that sort of hysteria. The phenomenon isn't restricted to twitter of course.

I'll admit, I'd just assumed that less people were so fucking stupid to think that the monarchy can have any effect on British political process other than in a wanky figurehead capacity. Certainly none of the sensible media were reporting it as anything other than a formality.

That said, I agree with your initial post in terms of it being "madness" for anyone to think she might have said no but I don't really agree with your premise that it's some sort of establishment conspiracy. If Corbyn were in power he'd have been able to use the exact same legislation to do something that's a fairly typical parliamentary process. The issue in this case is how it's being used as a smokescreen with the associated "we'd never do a thing like that" indignance from boris and his cronies.
No I don't believe it's a conspiracy. I don't do conspiracies at all because they detract from legit discourse and ultimately class struggle.

The queen is only a 'passive' actor in british politics because her estate (third biggest landowner) and power is allowed to exist. If revolutionary change was on the horizon, mainly repossessing the land that funds her wealth and power, the monarchy would show its hand and do everything it could to stop it and preserve its existence - just like the rest of the rich class. Brexit is fine because it suits em, as has the last 30/40 years of eu liberalism & economic neoliberalism. It's the economics of the rich.

My other point is that monarchy is the direct opposite of democracy, so expecting an actual queen, to stand up for parliamentary democracy, is daft - as daft as expecting a literal prince in prince andrew to be prosecuted for being a nonce even though he totally is.
Robbo
Legend

3 weeks ago

Haven't you cunts finally fucked off its getting beyond a joke now, hopefully you have all been learning how to tug your forelock for when Crown Prince BoJo and his ilk including that perfect British Toff take the UK back to the 19th Century, on the bright side there will be no need to invest further in electric cars etc. because you all will be using the horse and cart, working the fields and the mines for 18 hours a day so that your monied masters make even more.
-----------------------------------------------------
Lazarus
Legend

3 weeks ago

Robbo wrote:
3 weeks ago
Haven't you cunts finally fucked off its getting beyond a joke now, hopefully you have all been learning how to tug your forelock for when Crown Prince BoJo and his ilk including that perfect British Toff take the UK back to the 19th Century, on the bright side there will be no need to invest further in electric cars etc. because you all will be using the horse and cart, working the fields and the mines for 18 hours a day so that your monied masters make even more.
Funny, if i said some of that to my Protestant neighbours they'd not take it too well, you know with the Union and all. There was me thinking that the English all liked each other and it was us savages over here who couldn't get it. But come on Robbo it's going to be great after No Deal....... X_X
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
bman2
Legend

2 weeks ago

Looks like the UK is heading for another general election. Johnson is betting that Corbyn is even less popular than no deal Brexit.