End of the world- The Apocolypse

Political Debate
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

brianofnazarethffs wrote:Religion is the root of all evil. Can't stand it, it's a massive comfort blanket for adults.

How naive must you be....
I think it's just as naive to think "it's all bollocks"...

The wise answer would be to admit, that you haven't got a clue...

And that's the thing... it's not just Christianity that believes in an end times... an end times scenario is a theme of most faiths... it's really only science that dismisses it, based on the idea that, if I can't see it, feel it, weigh it, it doesn't exist...

Evil is real... even if you just want to put it down to a twisted mind... the thing is, if you can't get your head around the simple idea of judgement/retribution for a malicious existence, then what is the point in being a good man... in this world?

You have to ask yourself... who gets ahead, in this world? Society as we know it is run mostly by bad people... that's not even open to debate... we all know it... it's easier to rise the ranks, achieve the highest levels of success, live the life of ultimate luxury... depraved decadence... if you're willing to ignore what is universally accepted morality...

There is absolutely no motivation to be "good" in this world, if you don't believe in judgement for being bad... you're only concern should be, how far are you willing to go, to avoid getting caught...

Personally... I can't accept that... there has to be a balance... there has to be a reason for us being here, and having a right to choose good or bad...

Not advocating any one religion... religion is the work of men... but they all share one thing... faith...
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Snoopcousins
Legend

3 years ago

FuB wrote:
Snoopcousins wrote:My partner is Catholic , brought up that way always in church and she knows nothing about the bible never mind Revelations....
I've been to Mass a few times with her, our baby was also christened there (for her family really) and it's not preachy- it seems to be more living a good life ....my upbringing was all fire and brimstone stuff- pure old time religion...going home every night in tears and mum just making it worse etc...not having a TV going up- really not a pleasant upbringing!
I was thinking that when you mentioned the Brethren... Excuse me if i'm wildly mistaken but I thought they were quite exclusive - almost Amish - in their outlook on modern society. What you are saying there sort of backs that thought up but I am by no means an expert on such things so please do correct me if i'm wrong.
There's a fundamentalist Brethern that are a bit more "out there"....normal Brethern are basically just preachers....have meetings in the Gospel Halls, Gospel tents, preaching outside sometimes...it basically is like 'old-time religion'...it's not a 'religion' as such even....they don't like the gospel hall being called a church for example....They take bread and wine on Sunday mornings and with other "born-again" Christians and then most of their meetings are open Gospel preaching trying to get sinners to be born-again!
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
Snoopcousins
Legend

3 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:
brianofnazarethffs wrote:Religion is the root of all evil. Can't stand it, it's a massive comfort blanket for adults.

How naive must you be....
I think it's just as naive to think "it's all bollocks"...

The wise answer would be to admit, that you haven't got a clue...

And that's the thing... it's not just Christianity that believes in an end times... an end times scenario is a theme of most faiths... it's really only science that dismisses it, based on the idea that, if I can't see it, feel it, weigh it, it doesn't exist...

Evil is real... even if you just want to put it down to to just a twisted mind... the thing is, if you can't get your head around the simple idea of judgement/retribution for a malicious existence, then what is the point in being a good man... in this world?

You have to ask yourself... who gets ahead, in this world? Society as we know it is run mostly by bad people... that's not even open to debate... we all know it... it's easier to rise the ranks, achieve the highest levels of success, live the live of ultimate luxury... depraved decadence... if you're willing to ignore what is universally accepted morality...

There is absolutely no motivation to be "good" in this world, if you don't believe in judgement for being bad... you're only concern should be, how far are you willing to go, to avoid getting caught...

Personally... I can't accept that... there has to be a balance... there has to be a reason for us being here, and having a right to choose good or bad...

Not advocating any one religion... religion is the work of men... but they all share one thing... faith...
Yep gotta go along with all of that....
I know too much of the bible for my own good I think to completely disregard it as bollox....but I also don't belong to any religion and don't think I ever will....but some things do make you question your "faith" when trying to make sense of some things in the world....
Good vs evil and all that...
Fallen angels as demons doing the devils work etc...
I don't know...I just find some of it interesting esp the whole Revelations stuff and the signs of the times

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
Lazarus
Legend

3 years ago

Alf are you saying you believe in something outside of Humanity (the evil men do)? Like a force, entity, otherness etc?

I don't do bad shit cause i don't like being a prick and quite like being liked, it makes me feel good about myself. Does there have to be a reason?
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Snoopcousins
Legend

3 years ago

Lazarus wrote:Alf are you saying you believe in something outside of Humanity (the evil men do)? Like a force, entity, otherness etc?

I don't do bad shit cause i don't like being a prick and quite like being liked, it makes me feel good about myself. Does there have to be a reason?
I think if I was pushed to answer if I believed in a god or not....I'd be inclined to say I think there is something greater than us....
Knowing right from wrong....conscience...etc separates us from animals....who knows?!
Thing is...no ones going know really- just a lot of opinions ...obv theologians can point to things in the bible and others can pick holes in most of it I'm sure but even science can be used as a tool for how some of the stuff in the bible could have happened...
Fuck ..I'm drunk and talking shit now!

Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

Lazarus wrote:Alf are you saying you believe in something outside of Humanity (the evil men do)? Like a force, entity, otherness etc?

No... I'm saying I don't know anything... and I'm not sure what to believe... but I do have faith, that there is purpose to my being given the choice... of being a good man... or not!
"Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and ching' tu madre! Come out from that shit-hole of yours. I have to speak to you."
Alfonso Bedoya
Legend

3 years ago

Coop... you apply morality on yourself, for your own reason... there's obviously nothing to criticise about that... but don't you ever ask the question, "what if I'd been a cunt instead"?

What could you have had, if you'd cheated, stole, lied, even killed?

I'm not saying that you should want more, just asking, if you DID want more, why would you allow morality to interfere with you getting it... if you didn't believe in judgement... even your own...

See, it's not so much about the individual... it's about the collective... how can this society have any future, when it's obviously so self destructive? by it's very nature... greed... it's self destructive, all consuming... we are doomed to burn out... the powers that run this world, are operating for their own benefit... not the benefit of the collective... they will eat the best, sleep the best, live the best... why would you not want to have that, for you, and for your family? unless you apply morality??? But... if all you've got, if all you believe is, you have your 70/80 years, and then your compost... then what does your morality count for???

I can't, I won't believe, that there is no incentive for NOT BEING THE BAD GUY... the world is run by men, that I just can't believe will ultimately get away with the lives they've lived... and the ones they've destroyed...

For me, justice is as integral to physics as time and space... it's balance... I'm not talking about God, or anything else that specific, because I just don't have a fuckin clue... but I have faith, that there is a reason to try and be a good man...
FuB
Legend

3 years ago

if everyone on here is such a cunt, how can anyone be asking "what if i'd been a cunt instead"?
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Lazarus
Legend

3 years ago

Alfonso Bedoya wrote:

Coop... you apply morality on yourself, for your own reason... there's obviously nothing to criticise about that... but don't you ever ask the question, "what if I'd been a cunt instead"?

What could you have had, if you'd cheated, stole, lied, even killed?

I'm not saying that you should want more, just asking, if you DID want more, why would you allow morality to interfere with you getting it... if you didn't believe in judgement... even your own...

See, it's not so much about the individual... it's about the collective... how can this society have any future, when it's obviously so self destructive? by it's very nature... greed... it's self destructive, all consuming... we are doomed to burn out... the powers that run this world, are operating for their own benefit... not the benefit of the collective... they will eat the best, sleep the best, live the best... why would you not want to have that, for you, and for your family? unless you apply morality??? But... if all you've got, if all you believe is, you have your 70/80 years, and then your compost... then what does your morality count for???

I can't, I won't believe, that there is no incentive for NOT BEING THE BAD GUY... the world is run by men, that I just can't believe will ultimately get away with the lives they've lived... and the ones they're destroyed...

For me, justice is as integral to physics as time and space... it's balance... I'm not talking about God, or anything else that specific, because I just don't have a fuckin clue... but I have faith, that there is a reason to try and be a good man...
"what if I'd been a cunt instead"? That's a class question and really turned the old cogs. I'm going to think more about this because i don't think i've ever looked at things from that point of view. Up until now i've always just thought don't do to someone what i wouldn't want visited on me, that and a bit of a hero complex if i'm honest...... Han Solo, The Man with on Name, Starksy and Hutch and so on. In reality they've probably had as much affect on me as anything else.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
redzebs
Legend

3 years ago

A few times, I've bottomed out, and I've got down, on my knees, especially this time with the divorce etc and losing the business, and I've prayed and I've just opened up, things you don't even want to admit to yourself, and every time out of the few I've done it, every time, I've got help, far too many specifics that I won't go into but far too many things to be a coincidence. The big mans got your back if you need him and I don't belong to a specific denomination or anything, church is good if it helps bring people together who maybe need a bit of like minded company but to me your relationship is one on one so you need to start there before anything else.
Well I suppose that's the knighthood fucked.