End of the world- The Apocolypse

Political Debate
Snoopcousins
Legend

3 years ago

This was tried on another forum a while back but the thread was closed down coz too much talk of contentious religious stuff- I'm hoping it gets more leeway here....
My family are mostly Brethern Christian and have always preached about the end of the world, the second coming....and basically all the fun stuff from Revelations....
Was pretty scary as a kid and I never really wanted to think about it.... I'm in no way a Christian or believe in it all but I fancy this as a topic to see what comes out of it....
Like for example- 'signs of the times' ...revelatikns talks about one nation against the rest of the world (anti-Christ stuff) and that they'd use fighting for peace as their motive...and that it wud all be directed towards the Middle East....now with ISIS etc my family are obv thinking that's it...
Loads of other signs too....world disasters off the scale never seen before etc...
They always said there wud be stuff happening that wud make people not be too freaked out when it's the 2nd coming - now there's TV shows about The Returned where people disappear...

I just think it's all kinda interesting....the book of Revelations is kinda scary if taken seriously!
I'm guessing most here will think I'm a dick for bringing this up and doubt there's too many serious religious folk here given the daily debauchery! :)
Anyone else brought up with this strict religious stuff?!
Halfway between the gutter and the stars

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

3 years ago

God is a concept by which we measure our pain.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour and International Lovemaker to the Stars
brianofnazarethffs
Legend

3 years ago

Religion is the root of all evil. Can't stand it, it's a massive comfort blanket for adults.

How naive must you be....
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Rant's official saviour and International Lovemaker to the Stars
Snoopcousins
Legend

3 years ago

brianofnazarethffs wrote:Religion is the root of all evil. Can't stand it, it's a massive comfort blanket for adults.

How naive must you be....
I'm not naive- im not in the slightest religious...

Just find some of this interesting...now with ISIS etc...and wondering if anyone else was brought up that way...

“I don't have any real proof and I can't be arsed to find any. But I bet I’m right” - Sid, 6th March 2018
Lazarus
Legend

3 years ago

Snoopcousins wrote:This was tried on another forum a while back but the thread was closed down coz too much talk of contentious religious stuff- I'm hoping it gets more leeway here....
My family are mostly Brethern Christian and have always preached about the end of the world, the second coming....and basically all the fun stuff from Revelations....
Was pretty scary as a kid and I never really wanted to think about it.... I'm in no way a Christian or believe in it all but I fancy this as a topic to see what comes out of it....
Like for example- 'signs of the times' ...revelatikns talks about one nation against the rest of the world (anti-Christ stuff) and that they'd use fighting for peace as their motive...and that it wud all be directed towards the Middle East....now with ISIS etc my family are obv thinking that's it...
Loads of other signs too....world disasters off the scale never seen before etc...
They always said there wud be stuff happening that wud make people not be too freaked out when it's the 2nd coming - now there's TV shows about The Returned where people disappear...

I just think it's all kinda interesting....the book of Revelations is kinda scary if taken seriously!
I'm guessing most here will think I'm a dick for bringing this up and doubt there's too many serious religious folk here given the daily debauchery! :)
Anyone else brought up with this strict religious stuff?!
Not dick like in the least. Snoops i was the first young, 14, Eucharistic Minister, as far i know, in the Catholic Church. (Eucharistic Ministeror more properly "Lay Eucharistic Minister LEM", is used to denote a lay person who assists the priest in administering the sacraments of holy communion, the consecrated bread and wine.) My parents were very religious and it was a nightmare. I have no belief in a God or higher power of any kind and never had, even as we said another Rosary on our knees. Looking forward to see where this goes.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
Mumford
First Teamer

3 years ago

If you look through history ther have been loads of nations fighting for the world, it's not a recent thing, even Hitler prattled on about the same shit.

My Grandfather fought at Paschendale, and on the Somme, he used to tell me things about it, I was quite young at the time, but it made an impression on me, he always said that if there was a God he wouldn't allow man to do those things to his fellow man.

My side of the family have never been that religious, so it's never played a big part in my life, for my part my views are more pagan, I celebrate Yuletide not Christmas, Easter is just a holiday for me.
If you look deep enough into it, you will discover that the Christian church stole many of the pagan calendar celebrations to become popular, according to the Julian calendar Jesus was born in September, because back then there were only ten months

We all live and we will all die, the world comes to an end for millions every day on this planet, the only true apocalypse will come when the sun starts to expand, and it will, and it really will be too hot to support life, and by the time the sun explodes to engulf the whole solar system and turns this part of the universe into a black hole I will be long gone.
Take all the courage you have left
And waste it on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head
Snoopcousins
Legend

3 years ago

My partner is Catholic , brought up that way always in church and she knows nothing about the bible never mind Revelations....
I've been to Mass a few times with her, our baby was also christened there (for her family really) and it's not preachy- it seems to be more living a good life ....my upbringing was all fire and brimstone stuff- pure old time religion...going home every night in tears and mum just making it worse etc...not having a TV going up- really not a pleasant upbringing!

Lazarus
Legend

3 years ago

Snoopcousins wrote:My partner is Catholic , brought up that way always in church and she knows nothing about the bible never mind Revelations....
I've been to Mass a few times with her, our baby was also christened there (for her family really) and it's not preachy- it seems to be more living a good life ....my upbringing was all fire and brimstone stuff- pure old time religion...going home every night in tears and mum just making it worse etc...not having a TV going up- really not a pleasant upbringing!

I've had my shit, but no TV? You win, fuck that.
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
FuB
Legend

3 years ago

Snoopcousins wrote:My partner is Catholic , brought up that way always in church and she knows nothing about the bible never mind Revelations....
I was thinking that when you mentioned the Brethren... Excuse me if i'm wildly mistaken but I thought they were quite exclusive - almost Amish - in their outlook on modern society. What you are saying there sort of backs that thought up but I am by no means an expert on such things so please do correct me if i'm wrong.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Snoopcousins
Legend

3 years ago

Lazarus wrote:

I've had my shit, but no TV? You win, fuck that.
Fuck you don't know the half of it!!!
Probably one step behind being a Quaker!!
I properly rebelled once hit 18....was a bit of an alcho and a gambler for many years...
Think it's because my mum ripped up playing cards one at time saying Devils cards over and over!