Coronavirus

Political Debate
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

10 months ago

I'm now self isolating. Have a cough, sore throat, shortness of breath and a work colleague tested positive over the weekend and I've been categorised as having had close contact (sat next to him at a meeting for 4 hours last thursday). We have 8 other people in our office self isolating, citing covid19 symptoms. Dont know them all, but I know 3 and they're all 100% honest folks.
Sid
Legend

10 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
10 months ago
I'm now self isolating. Have a cough, sore throat, shortness of breath and a work colleague tested positive over the weekend and I've been categorised as having had close contact (sat next to him at a meeting for 4 hours last thursday). We have 8 other people in our office self isolating, citing covid19 symptoms. Dont know them all, but I know 3 and they're all 100% honest folks.
Shit, well we're all gonna get it sooner or later, just drink lots, rest and you'll be reet
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
10 months ago
i wish you the very best, mate. please drop by as and when you can to keep us updated on how you are but, more importantly, get well soon.
Rant's official artificial intelligence
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

10 months ago

Cheers chaps. Right now I dont feel too bad at all. No fever, just the other symptoms and thety feel mild. Let's see what the next few days bring. I'm only 39, decent health normally so I should be right as rain. But my lad has asthma and I saw my folks over the weekend. Mid 60s, heavy smokers.
bman2
Legend

10 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
10 months ago
Cheers chaps. Right now I dont feel too bad at all. No fever, just the other symptoms and thety feel mild. Let's see what the next few days bring. I'm only 39, decent health normally so I should be right as rain. But my lad has asthma and I saw my folks over the weekend. Mid 60s, heavy smokers.
Even with asthma the lad will be fine, there has only been one death for someone under 20 as far as I can tell, in China, and they probably had leukaemia or some other kind of equally shit luck.

If you're unlucky you might get pneumonia -- the 80% "mild" cases include that outcome -- but you'll be fine even if that's the case. Go to the hospital if it starts to get hard to breath though, and don't hesitate if that's the case, because if it starts damaging the lungs, there's some concern that the damage might be permanent. Good luck, man, you're a Rant pioneer! It'll be nice to hear from someone who's been through it, because it sounds like we should all expect it sooner or later.

I was self-isolating the past week, but I'm fairly sure I just had the usual kind of cold or throat infection, unless I had it really mild.
swampash
Legend

10 months ago

One thing I don't quite get - this is supposed to be something that produces only mild symptoms in the the fit and young. So why wouldn't you want this segment of society to get infected, and recover, as quickly as possible? If you set a stay-indoors-or-you-get-shot curfew for all sick old bastards while the rest of the country gets mild symptoms and recovers, wouldn't you get quickly over the problem?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, Good Lord deliver us...and while you're at it, a bit of a helping hand with hobbits wouldn't go amiss...
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

swampash wrote:
10 months ago
One thing I don't quite get - this is supposed to be something that produces only mild symptoms in the the fit and young. So why wouldn't you want this segment of society to get infected, and recover, as quickly as possible? If you set a stay-indoors-or-you-get-shot curfew for all sick old bastards while the rest of the country gets mild symptoms and recovers, wouldn't you get quickly over the problem?

The endgame is, of course, this so called "herd immunity" (which is what you're essentially suggesting). The issue is that all of those fit and young people are the vectors giving it to the old and weak and killing them AND the health services. The social distancing and lockdown measures are only ever going be an attempt to slow things down so they don't have to just let people die (like they are here) because there's no medical facilities or staff left.

it's not hard to understand... why don't you actually watch and read all the sources of information in this thread, swampash? The video with Michael Osterholm is key.
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

bman2 wrote:
10 months ago
Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
10 months ago
Even with asthma the lad will be fine, there has only been one death for someone under 20 as far as I can tell, in China, and they probably had leukaemia or some other kind of equally shit luck.

If you're unlucky you might get pneumonia -- the 80% "mild" cases include that outcome -- but you'll be fine even if that's the case. Go to the hospital if it starts to get hard to breath though, and don't hesitate if that's the case, because if it starts damaging the lungs, there's some concern that the damage might be permanent. Good luck, man, you're a Rant pioneer! It'll be nice to hear from someone who's been through it, because it sounds like we should all expect it sooner or later.

I was self-isolating the past week, but I'm fairly sure I just had the usual kind of cold or throat infection, unless I had it really mild.
Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
10 months ago
ash, if you're up to it, would you be able to answer a few questions?

Was your work colleague visibly ill in this meeting?
When did the symptoms start showing for you and what were the initial signs?
Were all of these 8 people also in the meeting?

i'm just interested in the answers from an understanding of what to look out for. For instance, you've (so far) stated no fever so that's quite important! all the news sources implicitly state it "starts with a fever" and so, if it doesn't in mild cases, here's a really good reason why it's continuing to proliferate... plenty people will think "oh, no fever... can't be Covid-19".
bman2
Legend

10 months ago

I didn't have a fever either, which is why I am assuming it probably wasn't coronavirus. But I didn't get a thermometer until 5 or 6 days after having a sore throat, so possibly I had a fever earlier. Who the fuck knows, can't even get tested unless you get admitted to hospital.
bman2
Legend

10 months ago

FuB wrote:
10 months ago
swampash wrote:
10 months ago

The endgame is, of course, this so called "herd immunity" (which is what you're essentially suggesting). The issue is that all of those fit and young people are the vectors giving it to the old and weak and killing them AND the health services.
Arguments against the "herd immunity" approach (some of which FuB has already said):

1) younger people will still spread the disease widely, there is no reliable way to orchestrate some sort of "managed deliberate epidemic"
2) if you let it spread throughout most of the population, that still means a decent number of people who will get seriously sick and even die, even among the 20-50 age range
3) you're basically experimenting on your population with a new and largely unknown virus. Maybe it causes cancer, as some viruses do. Maybe it has some other kind of long-term negative effect. there is already evidence that it causes permanent damage to at least some people's lungs. what if it has a cumulative public health effect equivalent to everyone smoking 60 a day for 40 years?
4) the more you let it spread among the population, the greater the chance of it mutating into a more deadly strain. Viruses mutate. The more hosts, the more mutations. The more mutations, the more likely one ends up being nasty AF. This happen with Spanish flu in 1918, I believe.
5) several countries have got off their arse and, so far, seem to have contained the epidemic. their efforts will be wasted if countries like the UK just say, "ah fuck it", and let this become endemic in the human population.
6) the WHO literally deal with these kinds of situations day-in, day-out, year after year, and their attitude towards the "herd immunity" approach is emphatically "are you fucking nuts???"