Coronavirus

Political Debate
Sid
Legend

10 months ago

Guardian live blog

The total number of confirmed cases in Italy has risen to 24,747 from 21,157 on Saturday, as the death toll increased by 25% to 1,809 from 1,441 on Sunday – a rise of 368.

Fucking he'll didn't think it could get any worse
Sid
Legend

10 months ago

FuB wrote:
10 months ago
ah well, i have my moments. it's a bit of a pet hate of mine when journalists try to play the science/statistics card and interpret things in a way that is wholly flawed from the outset.

further to that, it's also wholly flawed to compare the SARS(-CoV-1) outbreak to this one. Probably the key factor that stopped SARS-CoV-1 spreading in the same way as SARS-CoV-2 was that it mullered victims quicker, thus meaning they had less chance to transmit the disease to further victims.

The biggest issue with CoV-2 is that it's spreading like a flu. People appear to be infectious before they show symptoms or they are asymptomatic but infectious. This is why things have exploded so much. and why it's still spreading despite people being on edge about it (finally). Earlier in this thread i was hoping on hope, really. Confusing something like this with "just a cold" was always going to be a problem but i'd hoped people would get the idea quicker and self-isolate. This is probably (definitely?) happening in most cases now but that's not effective when you're going around merrily spreading it BEFORE you know you're ill (or you never know you were).

Which leads me on to this...
bman2 wrote:
10 months ago
It's a blessing in its own right that it seems to totally spare children. But also because if it was killing kids, societies would be totally collapsing right now from the hysteria. People would be murdering anyone who came near their home.
sorry, bman. I meant to respond to this earlier and it got buried in the flurry of posts after it. I agree with your point but it's also quite a concern that kids seem to be largely unaffected because that may mean they are actually just asymptomatic and kids are always a strong infection vector. It's why they close schools (at least in countries where boris isn't pulling the strings).
What would kids being asymptomatic mean? Like how is it bad?
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

Sid wrote:
10 months ago
What would kids being asymptomatic mean? Like how is it bad?
being asymptomatic but infectious makes you extremely dangerous. you don't know you're ill and you're transmitting to others.

kids are extremely social (school, etc) and have an entire family to infect.
Rant's official artificial intelligence
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

Sid wrote:
10 months ago
Guardian live blog

The total number of confirmed cases in Italy has risen to 24,747 from 21,157 on Saturday, as the death toll increased by 25% to 1,809 from 1,441 on Sunday – a rise of 368.

Fucking he'll didn't think it could get any worse
i don't think we're likely to see any flattening of the curve (as they say) until we get past the 5 days of incubation. Theoretically, that's after monday but i've been shocked at how many people i've seen wandering about outside with their kids or jogging today. Italy is going to kill itself by being as ignorant of the law as it always is.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

10 months ago

The government now asking any engineering firm, such as car manufacturers, to switch their production to making ventilators. They're shitting it.

And who's going to operate the equipment and treat patients? The NHS has been raped over recent years.

I saw a report earlier- in Portugal, Ronaldo owns a hotel chain. It's being converted into hospital sites and hes paying for the medical staff out of hos own pocket.
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
10 months ago
The government now asking any engineering firm, such as car manufacturers, to switch their production to making ventilators. They're shitting it.

And who's going to operate the equipment and treat patients? The NHS has been raped over recent years.

I saw a report earlier- in Portugal, Ronaldo owns a hotel chain. It's being converted into hospital sites and hes paying for the medical staff out of hos own pocket.
Meanwhile Rooney's whining on about how badly treated footballers here have been...

The difference in class continues to this day
Sid
Legend

10 months ago

UK coronavirus crisis ‘to last until spring 2021 and could see 7.9m hospitalised’

Exclusive: Public Health England document seen by Guardian says four in five ‘expected’ to contract virus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... spitalised
Sid
Legend

10 months ago

Anthony Costello, a UK paediatrician and former director of the World Health Organization (WHO), said he had personally written to the chief medical officer, Professor Chris Whitty, asking for testing to continue in the community.

“The key principles from WHO are intensive surveillance,” he told the Guardian. “You test the population like crazy, find out where the cases are, immediately quarantine them and do contact tracing and get them out of the community. This deals with family clusters. That’s the key bedrock of getting this under control.”

This was how South Korea, China, Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan had brought their case numbers down. “You can really take people out of the population and make sure they are quarantined. That is vital – before you get to social distancing.”

Yet the UK government was stopping tests outside of hospital. “For me and the WHO people I have spoken to, this is absolutely the wrong policy. It would mean it just lets rip,” he said

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... through-uk
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

10 months ago

Watching a live speech on Sky News from the US' equivalent of our health minister and medical services executive, who've emphasized the 'unprecedented' joint effort between government and private industries like Walmart and Google to prioritise testing over the last week. They've massively ramped up their ability to test across communities, outside of hospitals, to identify, isolate and treat infected people.

We're still washing our hands though. Spot on.
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

Here, a Veneto (where i live) company which makes swabs, etc. has just said "well, fuck it, we'll make enough and test everyone in Veneto" which has, inevitably, started some (justified) polemic about "why not everywhere else in Italy then?"

Meanwhile, Luca Zaia, head of the province (and a Lega politician) has decried the number of people just having a bit of a laugh and ignoring the polite requests for everyone to stay home unless they have a good reason to go out. I mentioned in my post earlier that i was pretty shocked at the number of people i'd seen passing outside our house with clearly no good reason to (people jogging for fuck's sake). He literally stated that the only other tool he had at his disposal was fucking curfew. Not in a "do as you're told or else" way but in a "can you please just fucking behave yourselves you bellends" sort of way. More disturbing than that is that i fucking agree with him... I never ever thought i'd agree with a right winger bordering on neo-fascist. Cunts out and about blatantly ignoring a plan put in place to try and alleviate the pressure on healthcare staff are risking us all, not just themselves.

Watched a fraught interview with head doctor of a hospital in Pavia pleading with all Italians to stay home and help them cope with this. He said that anyone trying to compare this with seasonal flu was mental and this situation was totally unprecedented. He literally said "look, we're all doing our bit so can the rest of Italians please do theirs by staying home".

This was after i'd already sided with Zaia... strange times indeed.