Coronavirus

Political Debate
Sid
Legend

10 months ago

The WHO have attacked the Tories herd immunity strategy saying shitloads of lives will be lost unnecessarily

They said all states must isolate, screen and test all at the same time. The British gov plans to do none of that. They really are fucking cruel. It's a eugenics experiment.

Compare that to the epicenter in China, who acted, built hospitals etc, and have stabalise the infection to were covid-19 cases from abroad excede those infected locally.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

10 months ago

The Italian government is pleading with us to not repeat their mistakes. Are we listening? Are we fuck.
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
10 months ago
The Italian government is pleading with us to not repeat their mistakes. Are we listening? Are we fuck.
I was just about to respond to your last message and between reading that and logging in to post, you posted this. If only the UK government took things as seriously as a handful of posters on a backwater United forum.

Mistakes... undoubtedly mistakes were made here however all policy was driven by an attempt to balance keeping the country going, adhering to current (now well out of date in a rapidly evolving situation) science and not instilling widespread panic. My wife saw an interview with the top virologist (Galli) at the top hospital in Milan (Ospedale Sacco) where they'd made quite some strides into working out how the virus got here and - i hope you're reading, Swampash - it appears that the most likely point of contact was a business meeting in Munich where an infected, but asymptomatic, Chinese businesswoman met with (not only) an Italian businessman... and off he takes it back to Lombardy. He then just confuses the symptoms with a seasonal flu and... well, off we go. So, closing the borders to flights from China here had little effect when so many other places didn't.

However, pleading with the UK govt to not make the mistakes made here is fair enough, except any mistakes made here were clearly made under an already more stringent policy. They immediately closed schools and quarantined the affected areas. That it was by then too late still doesn't negate the fact that they took it far more seriously than the dickheads you guys have in charge are. Even if, in hindsight, that wasn't seriously enough.

With reference to your earlier post, the figures here (from yesterday evening - they release updated figures at 6pm every evening so these are already out of date) show nearly 15,000 confirmed infections currently ongoing, just over 1200 dead and just over 1400 recovered. Adding those numbers up to get total infections since the beginning here (heading towards 18,000) shows that we're already (just) over a mortality rate of 7%. So lets forget the 1-2% figures we were all hoping on previously. Incidentally, the number of dead jumped 250 in the preceding 24 hours and the total number of infections just 5 days ago was around 7,000.

We watched an interview with the head doctor outside the intensive care unit at a hospital in Brescia last night. He said it was literally non-stop. As soon as they clear a bed, they've filled it again. He made it quite clear that it is NOT just affecting the elderly - even though, so far, the median age of the deceased is 80.3 years. He currently had, behind that door, a 27 year-old, a 37 year-old and a 41 year-old. There are already sub-40 year-old fatalities here. I don't know if these were the only cases in Italy but the nightly press-briefing detailed two 39 year-olds who had died. One had a very early stage tumour and the other was diabetic.
Rant's official artificial intelligence
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
10 months ago
If that's true then our whole 'just wash your hands' strategy is even more bollocksed than we think.
Just a quick extra note on this...

It IS still good advice. There is some preliminary research suggesting this virus can survive quite well and for quite some time out of the body... potentially days but at least half an hour.

The early papers from the Chinese suggested that in their early cases case study of infections in a shopping mall, it appeared transmission was most likely by indirect means and not close contact. The people infected worked or shopped in the same building but didn't come into contact with each other, i.e worked on different floors, were customers or were cleaning staff. They concluded the most likely point of transmission was in the toilets.

I'd caution that all of this research is early days and hasn't been rigorously corroborated - there hasn't been time.
Sid
Legend

10 months ago

Fub, you might know this, is there any evidence that the gov's heard immunity shite might actually work?
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

10 months ago

Horrific stuff FuB. And the 'mistakes' point was more in the context of 'we've learned the hard way, others need to take note' rather than mistakes through incompetence. Our govt has fewer excuses.

The same interview I saw, made reference to correspondence from someone working in an Italian hospital where they conceded that it was now akin to triage on a battlefield and they were having to make decisions about who to treat and who to let die.

This is going to get much, much worse.
FuB
Legend

10 months ago

Sid wrote:
10 months ago
Fub, you might know this, is there any evidence that the gov's heard immunity shite might actually work?
Hmm... well, yes it WILL work but that's not quite the point. Herd immunity is essentially saying that spreading of disease is slowed or stopped because everyone - or large parts of a community - is already immune to it, i.e they've been vaccinated or THEY'VE ALREADY HAD IT!

So, yeah, the WHO are quite right in saying this is a dumb idea because it means people have to have already had it.
Edfuckingwoodward
Legend

10 months ago

FuB
Legend

10 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
10 months ago
Horrific stuff FuB. And the 'mistakes' point was more in the context of 'we've learned the hard way, others need to take note' rather than mistakes through incompetence. Our govt has fewer excuses.

The same interview I saw, made reference to correspondence from someone working in an Italian hospital where they conceded that it was now akin to triage on a battlefield and they were having to make decisions about who to treat and who to let die.

This is going to get much, much worse.
Yeah, i said that in an earlier post. It's quite upsetting. What an awful position for anyone whose primary goal in life is to save lives to be in.

Re the mistakes. I wasn't intending to stand up for my adopted country and the decisions of its politicians. They clearly made mistakes but i don't blame them really... people make mistakes. What is inexcusable is the arrogant stance of boris and his implication that good old british stiff upper lip will do you proud.

Even then, i'm more inclined to stand with Tom Walker (Jonathan Pie) in that the issue is people in general and their stupidity and selfishness. A huge part of the problem here and abroad is because people in the north decided that closing the schools, etc, was a great reason to go on a short holiday or go skiing... or others ran away to ancestral homes in other regions.
bman2
Legend

10 months ago

Edfuckingwoodward wrote:
10 months ago
I saw an interview earlier with an American viralogist who's actively working in analysing covid-19. He suggested that the latest data indicates that its 10-15 times more serious than the nastiest strands of seasonal flu and that the mortality rate is drive by a number of factors - age being one, but others being the level of cardio vascular health you have to begin with, whether you smoke and of particular concern in America, your levels of body fat. Diabetes is apparently is huge risk factor.

He also indicated that the transmission data they have shows that this thing is massively more contagious than first thought - with case studies on people who have little to no symptoms showing 10,000 times the viral load than SARS!! He also said that the most common method of transmission is literally through breathing in expelled air by someone infectious rather than simply by touch. If that's true then our whole 'just wash your hands' strategy is even more bollocksed than we think.
Where was the interview?