Political Debate
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

FuB wrote:
4 months ago
Robbo wrote:
4 months ago
On a lighter note get out and buy Domestos and some syringes according to Dr Trump injecting disinfectants could combat Covid 19.
Fuck me... the man knows full well how much the moron population of the US lap up his every word. People are going to fucking try this! AND they're going to go out and buy UV-C disinfectant lamps and fry themselves.

there'll be enough fuckwits outside the US who do it too... just when the world's health services need an extra influx of critically injured patients.
That's fucking madness. I imagine these daft cunts are the same ones who're holding up signs like this

https://images.app.goo.gl/ATEc5E2Q4qeynmmB7
swampash
Legend

4 months ago

Sid wrote:
4 months ago
swampash wrote:
4 months ago
Sid wrote:
4 months ago
Anyways it looks like a change in leader or government is on the cards,
Sorry Sid, but how on earth do you figure that????
Cos the Tory rags and donors are going in on Johnson as I previously mentioned. Won't be any time soon like. Probably not even next year (unless there's a vote of no confidence)

But there's clearly been a change in attitude behind the scenes by the people who put Johnson in power. So much so that Johnson has beefed up his press department (remember this cunt? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -messaging) who spent all night writing a 2000 word response to the damaging Sunday Times exclusive
Sorry Sid, I really can't see it. The government have a healthy majority and Boris has mollified the Brexit headbangers by delivering the near certainty of a no deal Brexit. Now he returns like a wounded hero back from the front. After his recent experience he will have to up NHS wages and investment and will have to invest in the economy to prime a recovery and protect jobs. I anticipate that Starmer will be a better foil versus Boris, but I don't see the grounds for the downfall you anticipate. Politics is notoriously difficult to predict, though, so who knows...
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

swampash wrote:
4 months ago
Sid wrote:
4 months ago
swampash wrote:
4 months ago
Sid wrote:
4 months ago
Anyways it looks like a change in leader or government is on the cards,
Sorry Sid, but how on earth do you figure that????
Cos the Tory rags and donors are going in on Johnson as I previously mentioned. Won't be any time soon like. Probably not even next year (unless there's a vote of no confidence)

But there's clearly been a change in attitude behind the scenes by the people who put Johnson in power. So much so that Johnson has beefed up his press department (remember this cunt? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -messaging) who spent all night writing a 2000 word response to the damaging Sunday Times exclusive
Sorry Sid, I really can't see it. The government have a healthy majority and Boris has mollified the Brexit headbangers by delivering the near certainty of a no deal Brexit. Now he returns like a wounded hero back from the front. After his recent experience he will have to up NHS wages and investment and will have to invest in the economy to prime a recovery and protect jobs. I anticipate that Starmer will be a better foil versus Boris, but I don't see the grounds for the downfall you anticipate. Politics is notoriously difficult to predict, though, so who knows...
I am getting a bit ahead of myself tbf cos it's wild to see the media actually criticising the government. They've had it easy for 10 years (great on the last 3/4) which is why they're treating shit like the Sunday Times exclusive as deeply personal attacks made by their friends

The process has begun, Johnson just has a long way to fall, especially because (for now) he's a national hero. But that means little if the money doesn't back him.

And his popularity will wane when we have the highest corona death toll in Europe, which, as the rags are pointing out, is because Boris went down the bogus herd immunity "strategy" route. The party that killed your granny / parents is gonna struggle to do well.

And then there's the upcoming recession / depression. Mass unemployment, thousands of businesses going bust and social unrest as the second more complicated Brexit negotiations begin, were half of capital is already against him (remainers like Branson). Any one government / leader would do well to survive these circumstances IMO
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

The involvement of the prime minister’s chief political adviser, Dominic Cummings, in meetings of the scientific group advising the UK government’s response to the coronavirus has left other attendees shocked, concerned and worried for the impartiality of advice, the Guardian can reveal.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... c-cummings

The supposedly independent panel of experts has a gov advisor on it. One of the panel members said they were intimidated by him, that when a senior gov official speaks, we daren't say no. So Cummings is in charge of policy on shit he knows nothing about. This is where your herd immunity shite came from.
swampash
Legend

4 months ago

Sid wrote:
4 months ago
...half of capital is already against him (remainers like Branson).
Branson might get a plus point for being a remainer Sid, but he's still an arse in my book.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

Tories ban the Sunday Times from asking questions at a press briefing cos of their damaging exclusive :)) good old democracy. It's getting nasty

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-6625055
Sid
Legend

4 months ago

A third of patients admitted to hospital in the UK with Covid-19 are dying, according to a major study whose authors said the observed death rates put the illness on a par with Ebola.

The study tracked the outcomes of nearly 17,000 patients – around one-third of all those admitted to hospital in the UK – and found that 33% had died, 49% were discharged and 17% were still receiving treatment after two weeks.

The figures present a stark picture of outcomes for those whose illness escalates to the point of needing medical help.

“Some people persist in believing that Covid-19 is no worse than a bad dose of flu. They are gravely mistaken,” said Calum Semple, professor in child health and outbreak medicine at the University of Liverpool, and chief investigator of the study.

“Despite the best supportive care that we can provide, the crude case fatality rate for people who are admitted to hospital with severe Covid-19 is 35% to 40% which is similar to that for people admitted to hospital with Ebola.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -are-dying

The tories should be being hammered a lot more than they are
jason_uk
First Teamer

4 months ago

In other news, I had to go get a covid test today, I have had some symptons the past few days, but now wife is showing them, and as she is a key worker, I had to be tested as well. Whole thing was an absolute joke, you see on the news these testing centres, where professionals are doing the test through the car window.

We drive in, are handed the pack through a sliver in the window, and then directed over to a parking space to take the swab ourselves. I've no idea how to swab my tonsils, whilst trying not to touch tongue or teeth, or how far I have to stick the thing up my nose(my eyes were watering, so guessing the nose part was far enough).

Mrs(who works in a lab) just said these tests are pointless, if they not being administered correctly.

Not sure if that is just for the testing centres here(in belfast), or same across the UK.
FuB
Legend

4 months ago

jason_uk wrote:
4 months ago
In other news, I had to go get a covid test today, I have had some symptons the past few days, but now wife is showing them, and as she is a key worker, I had to be tested as well. Whole thing was an absolute joke, you see on the news these testing centres, where professionals are doing the test through the car window.

We drive in, are handed the pack through a sliver in the window, and then directed over to a parking space to take the swab ourselves. I've no idea how to swab my tonsils, whilst trying not to touch tongue or teeth, or how far I have to stick the thing up my nose(my eyes were watering, so guessing the nose part was far enough).

Mrs(who works in a lab) just said these tests are pointless, if they not being administered correctly.

Not sure if that is just for the testing centres here(in belfast), or same across the UK.
I realise it was an "in other news" with reference to your other post in the football-related thread but i've moved it here because i think it's better placed for discussion here.

On one hand, i'm inclined to agree with your wife that the tests are highly likely to be ruined if proper sample-gathering protocol isn't followed - particularly the throat swab since saliva generally contains plenty of enzymes that might attack virus cells (proteases, specifically). However, on the other hand, they're testing via PCR and that's intentionally destructive to virus cells in order to extract the RNA anyway. Maybe, so long as you're not harvesting a huge spitball, the testing protocol is good enough. I'm not an expert on PCR and maybe your wife knows better - not sure what she actually does in the lab.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
jason_uk
First Teamer

4 months ago

FuB wrote:
4 months ago
jason_uk wrote:
4 months ago

I realise it was an "in other news" with reference to your other post in the football-related thread but i've moved it here because i think it's better placed for discussion here.

On one hand, i'm inclined to agree with your wife that the tests are highly likely to be ruined if proper sample-gathering protocol isn't followed - particularly the throat swab since saliva generally contains plenty of enzymes that might attack virus cells (proteases, specifically). However, on the other hand, they're testing via PCR and that's intentionally destructive to virus cells in order to extract the RNA anyway. Maybe, so long as you're not harvesting a huge spitball, the testing protocol is good enough. I'm not an expert on PCR and maybe your wife knows better - not sure what she actually does in the lab.

Ha - well I'm not fully sure what she does in the lab either, its over my head! They test NI Water samples, hence the need for them to continue to operate.
I've seen the images of the news where they are doing the testing through the car window in other areas, so maybe its just in Belfast. The good news is that we both came back negative, so all good on that front for now.