Coronavirus

Political Debate
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

Sweden prepares for possible tighter coronavirus measures as deaths rise

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oll-climbs

They're realising the herd immunity strategy, which isn't a strategy, isn't going to work
swampash
Legend

5 months ago

Re. the 'herd immunity strategy', the health expert I referred to a few weeks ago is Alexander Kekule. Here's the link to his web page, if anyone is interested. He's a bit overdue for an update as his last post was about 2 weeks ago.

https://www.kekule.com/blog/
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

swampash wrote:
5 months ago
Re. the 'herd immunity strategy', the health expert I referred to a few weeks ago is Alexander Kekule. Here's the link to his web page, if anyone is interested. He's a bit overdue for an update as his last post was about 2 weeks ago.

https://www.kekule.com/blog/
Probably died of his own bullshit "strategy" :))

Like Dominic Cummings' uncle https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/ap ... oronavirus

Cummings set out a "plan" that would have killed 2/400,000 people, but killed his own uncle instead

When Boris said "many of you will lose loved ones" - due to their inaction - I bet they didn't think they would lose their own
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

What's funny is how politicians and the media are chowing at people flouting the lockdown as it's spreading the virus, when they, 3 weeks ago, were justifying the gov's inaction (aka herd immunity) which would have killed hundreds not thousands
swampash
Legend

5 months ago

Kekule is no fool though Sid. Look at his credentials. His basic argument was that the German government should have isolated the most vulnerable right at the outset rather than allowing a strategy that left them exposed to the virus for too long. He was in a discussion group again last night, which included the German Finance Minister Olaf Sholz. Scholz was very uncomfortable.

Again, if anyone is interested, here is a link to a first hand account from Rwanda:

https://www.newtimes.co.rw/news/rwandan ... experience

The reference to malaria is interesting. It might mean that a lot of people in Africa might assume they have malaria, rather than Corona virus, and reach first for malarial treatments.
FuB
Legend

5 months ago

swampash wrote:
5 months ago
Kekule is no fool though Sid. Look at his credentials. His basic argument was that the German government should have isolated the most vulnerable right at the outset rather than allowing a strategy that left them exposed to the virus for too long. He was in a discussion group again last night, which included the German Finance Minister Olaf Sholz. Scholz was very uncomfortable.

Again, if anyone is interested, here is a link to a first hand account from Rwanda:

https://www.newtimes.co.rw/news/rwandan ... experience

The reference to malaria is interesting. It might mean that a lot of people in Africa might assume they have malaria, rather than Corona virus, and reach first for malarial treatments.
But this all seems rather revisionist on his part when the last entry (14th march - already pandemic status) on his very own blog doesn't recommend this. According to him there you just need to stay calm (it's not as prevalent as colds or the flu - haha... famous last words, mate), not hug people and wash your hands. I guess he's been busy getting paid to revise his opinion on tv too much to have time to blog something new.

I won't deny his credentials but, as i suggested previously, this whole isolate "the most vulnerable" is all based on the assumption that you know who those are. I brought up hypertension as one of the KNOWN base underlying conditions and that's something so prevalent in society that you're potentially saying 25% of the world population should be isolated. Further to that, how many people reading this (signed up users, guests, chinese hackers - hi by the way, not sure why you find this forum so exciting, etc.) can be 100% sure they don't have any underlying risk conditions. It's long been shown by the facts that this isn't exclusively a "lock up your old people and we'll be alright" sort of disease.

He also mentions we should "Consider public in-door spaces to be contaminated" which is essentially pointing out that schools, pubs, restaurants, theatres, etc, etc, were the likely sources of mass transmission. Any sensible conclusion is that you need to close the fucking places because, as we saw the world over, just telling people to avoid them doesn't work. Nearly every place that's resisted doing this has eventually had to bite the bullet and, to be honest, it amazes me that politicians are so incapable of factoring in basic human denial behaviour when it really matters to society. They clearly know how to manipulate it when they want to (Brexit, etc.).

In response to the people maybe assuming they have Malaria, i'd suggest that the documented symptoms are suggestive of any number of things - both known and unknown - that people would otherwise ignore. Common colds and flu being just a couple of them. That's one of the reasons we've got to where we are.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

Spain is set to launch one of Corbyn's left wing fantasy Maoist Leninist Marxist ideas that we were all told was ridiculous, that of universal basic income. Well done Spain tbf. If it's done right it can have a profound impact on people's lives.
Sid
Legend

5 months ago

Could be curtains for Bojo

He should have washed his hands

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 30231.html
swampash
Legend

5 months ago

Hi Fuß - I posted the link to his blog because you asked, in a previous post, who he was. The reason I was interested in what he had to say was because I think it is important to at least listen to other opinions, as no one has a monopoly on the right way to deal with this. One might decide other options don't make sense, but I do think a wide range of experts should be heard out.
Re. malaria, my point, probably poorly expressed, is that if there is a prophylactic level of anti-malarials present in countries such as Rwanda, it might provide a real-time test of their ability to suppress the Corona virus. Not sure of the scientific basis of this, but it was a thought that crossed my mind when I read the article.
FuB
Legend

5 months ago

swampash wrote:
5 months ago
Hi Fuß - I posted the link to his blog because you asked, in a previous post, who he was. The reason I was interested in what he had to say was because I think it is important to at least listen to other opinions, as no one has a monopoly on the right way to deal with this. One might decide other options don't make sense, but I do think a wide range of experts should be heard out.
Re. malaria, my point, probably poorly expressed, is that if there is a prophylactic level of anti-malarials present in countries such as Rwanda, it might provide a real-time test of their ability to suppress the Corona virus. Not sure of the scientific basis of this, but it was a thought that crossed my mind when I read the article.
Hi swampash... yes, i appreciated you doing that. I agree that no one has a monopoly on the right way to deal with this - however, that is purely governed by this being a hitherto unknown disease. It does beg the question as to what's the point of the WHO if no one is going to listen to them, though.

In an age where something as ridiculous as flat earth is gaining some traction because idiots will watch youtube and people with some sort of authority or assumed authority can influences masses of society, it's not so helpful in a crisis for people to stand up and give mixed messages.

no one having a monopoly allows this bellend to say this: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/sta ... o-the-pub-

and this bellend to do this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/video ... osis-video

I suspect they both will be ruing those words and actions now. Those words and actions could probably be demonstrably linked to a cost of lives and not just that of one of the perpetrators. I don't wish ill on him but i do hope history records his contribution accurately, regardless of the outcome of his own predicament.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit