Coronavirus

Political Debate
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24979
Joined: 7 years ago

8 months ago



He's right. We could be looking at a period of authoritarianism during the peak when a reactive government scrambles around after the horse has bolted, to make it look like they're doing something as much as than anything.

The mishandling of this will bring down governments without question. Johnson following Cummings' inhumane un-compassionate science-led way of thinking could definitely see him out on his arse, especially when it's wiping out the tories' core electorate.
User avatar
Robbo
Legend
Posts: 1220
Joined: 7 years ago

8 months ago

Lets face it that cunt Johnson doesn't give two fucks about anyone, him and his cunt mate Cunntings dont care a whit about Joe Normal and will use this to their own ends believe me.

My grandson is now off school until the middle of next month, people have been told to avoid going to public places as much as possible, concerts etc. postponed and in the UK lets start end of next week.
-----------------------------------------------------
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24979
Joined: 7 years ago

8 months ago

Experience of Sars a key factor in countries’ response to coronavirus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus

Great read this. Countries that suffered with SARs have responded the best to Covid-19. South Korea has 7,800 cases but have kept the death toll to below 1% - because they acted. Compare that to Italy who did fuck all until the horse had bolted, now they have a mortality rate of 7%. And of course we're following the Italy's model.
User avatar
bman2
Legend
Posts: 7976
Joined: 7 years ago

8 months ago

German authorities have confirmed that they've had to intervene because the Trump administration was trying to buy US exclusivity from a German company working on covid-19 vaccines and treatments. So much for leading the free world.
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6163
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

8 months ago

Sid wrote:
8 months ago
Experience of Sars a key factor in countries’ response to coronavirus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus

Great read this. Countries that suffered with SARs have responded the best to Covid-19. South Korea has 7,800 cases but have kept the death toll to below 1% - because they acted. Compare that to Italy who did fuck all until the horse had bolted, now they have a mortality rate of 7%. And of course we're following the Italy's model.
It's an appalling piece of journalism if you ask me... we'll ignore China "because it's an outlier" and including it would show how much bollocks i'm about to spout.

The first cases in Italy were detected specifically because they immediately instigated screening for arrivals from China.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24979
Joined: 7 years ago

8 months ago

bman2 wrote:
8 months ago
German authorities have confirmed that they've had to intervene because the Trump administration was trying to buy US exclusivity from a German company working on covid-19 vaccines and treatments. So much for leading the free world.
Good old capitalism, prioritising profit over people.
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24979
Joined: 7 years ago

8 months ago

FuB wrote:
8 months ago
Sid wrote:
8 months ago
Experience of Sars a key factor in countries’ response to coronavirus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus

Great read this. Countries that suffered with SARs have responded the best to Covid-19. South Korea has 7,800 cases but have kept the death toll to below 1% - because they acted. Compare that to Italy who did fuck all until the horse had bolted, now they have a mortality rate of 7%. And of course we're following the Italy's model.
It's an appalling piece of journalism if you ask me... we'll ignore China "because it's an outlier" and including it would show how much bollocks i'm about to spout.

The first cases in Italy were detected specifically because they immediately instigated screening for arrivals from China.
But reports say China has got on top of their domestic cases now. The bigger threat to them is from people coming in / back from abroad with it. Like WHO said the centre of the crisis is now Europe, not China were it originated.
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6163
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

8 months ago

Sid wrote:
8 months ago
FuB wrote:
8 months ago
Sid wrote:
8 months ago
Experience of Sars a key factor in countries’ response to coronavirus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus

Great read this. Countries that suffered with SARs have responded the best to Covid-19. South Korea has 7,800 cases but have kept the death toll to below 1% - because they acted. Compare that to Italy who did fuck all until the horse had bolted, now they have a mortality rate of 7%. And of course we're following the Italy's model.
It's an appalling piece of journalism if you ask me... we'll ignore China "because it's an outlier" and including it would show how much bollocks i'm about to spout.

The first cases in Italy were detected specifically because they immediately instigated screening for arrivals from China.
But reports say China has got on top of their domestic cases now. The bigger threat to them is from people coming in / back from abroad with it. Like WHO said the centre of the crisis is now Europe, not China were it originated.
did you watch the video with Michael Osterholm, Sid?

Either way, my beef is with her bollocks journalism, not with anything else. You can't come up with some hairbrained hypothesis saying that countries that were impacted by SARS (like, er, China) are all doing great but we'll just ignore the one BIG data point that disproves my hypothesis "because it's an outlier". Get fucked, you stupid moron... you're as bad as any of the other cunts in the media that i've already posted several times how much i despise you all.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 24979
Joined: 7 years ago

8 months ago

FuB wrote:
8 months ago
Sid wrote:
8 months ago
FuB wrote:
8 months ago
Sid wrote:
8 months ago
Experience of Sars a key factor in countries’ response to coronavirus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus

Great read this. Countries that suffered with SARs have responded the best to Covid-19. South Korea has 7,800 cases but have kept the death toll to below 1% - because they acted. Compare that to Italy who did fuck all until the horse had bolted, now they have a mortality rate of 7%. And of course we're following the Italy's model.
It's an appalling piece of journalism if you ask me... we'll ignore China "because it's an outlier" and including it would show how much bollocks i'm about to spout.

The first cases in Italy were detected specifically because they immediately instigated screening for arrivals from China.
But reports say China has got on top of their domestic cases now. The bigger threat to them is from people coming in / back from abroad with it. Like WHO said the centre of the crisis is now Europe, not China were it originated.
did you watch the video with Michael Osterholm, Sid?

Either way, my beef is with her bollocks journalism, not with anything else. You can't come up with some hairbrained hypothesis saying that countries that were impacted by SARS (like, er, China) are all doing great but we'll just ignore the one BIG data point that disproves my hypothesis "because it's an outlier". Get fucked, you stupid moron... you're as bad as any of the other cunts in the media that i've already posted several times how much i despise you all.
Fair does, Fub. That's the first time I can recall you ranting like that. Goes to show how bad this is eh. Also goes to show how in times of crisis the media is pretty fucking useless.
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 6163
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

8 months ago

ah well, i have my moments. it's a bit of a pet hate of mine when journalists try to play the science/statistics card and interpret things in a way that is wholly flawed from the outset.

further to that, it's also wholly flawed to compare the SARS(-CoV-1) outbreak to this one. Probably the key factor that stopped SARS-CoV-1 spreading in the same way as SARS-CoV-2 was that it mullered victims quicker, thus meaning they had less chance to transmit the disease to further victims.

The biggest issue with CoV-2 is that it's spreading like a flu. People appear to be infectious before they show symptoms or they are asymptomatic but infectious. This is why things have exploded so much. and why it's still spreading despite people being on edge about it (finally). Earlier in this thread i was hoping on hope, really. Confusing something like this with "just a cold" was always going to be a problem but i'd hoped people would get the idea quicker and self-isolate. This is probably (definitely?) happening in most cases now but that's not effective when you're going around merrily spreading it BEFORE you know you're ill (or you never know you were).

Which leads me on to this...
bman2 wrote:
8 months ago
It's a blessing in its own right that it seems to totally spare children. But also because if it was killing kids, societies would be totally collapsing right now from the hysteria. People would be murdering anyone who came near their home.
sorry, bman. I meant to respond to this earlier and it got buried in the flurry of posts after it. I agree with your point but it's also quite a concern that kids seem to be largely unaffected because that may mean they are actually just asymptomatic and kids are always a strong infection vector. It's why they close schools (at least in countries where boris isn't pulling the strings).
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Post Reply