Dissolving the union.

Political Debate
Robbo
Legend

1 month ago

Whilst this is in a way Brexit related it isn't and my question is will after Brexit the Scots, Northern Irish and maybe the Welsh start pushing properly to become countries in their own right instead of a member of the United Kingdom?

I can imagine the Scots calling again for another referendum regarding independence seeing as they generally voted to stay, with the Irish I do not know but probably the lads from across the water could answer that better also what are their thoughts on a united Ireland no longer a part of the UK and the Welsh possibly Brian could say something there.

Personally it wouldn't surprise me if the union did start dissolving in one way or another due to the fact that there are things decided that have an impact on Scotland but is decided by Westminster.
-----------------------------------------------------
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Economically, Northern Ireland is not sustainable in a hard Brexit situation. The economy is already poor, it's kept afloat by cross-border trade and EU subsidies. It seems highly unlikely that London will step in to replace EU subsidies.

Who knows what will happen. But there have been polls and surveys to suggest that Irish unification is increasing in popularity among liberal protestants and unionists in Northern Ireland. The kind of people for whom unionism isn't worth losing their livelihood, and the kind of people horrified by the DUP's ultra-conservatism and undisguised hostility toward anyone who isn't white, straight, and a particular kind of Christian. The demonisation of the South doesn't cut it anymore when Dublin is booming, cosmopolitan, governed by a gay man of partial Indian descent, and rapidly becoming one of the most secular and socially liberal places in the world.

The biggest impediment to reunification is most people in the Republic's wariness of taking on an economic backwater with more than the normal share of weirdos and creeps.
swampash
Legend

1 month ago

Good question Robbo. If the Brexit headbangers get their way and it is a hard Brexit, then imho the UK is fucked. Scotland will lead with another independence referendum, which the SNP will win this time. NI will follow with a reunification referendum, which will be carried. That will leave Wales with no option other than pushing for independence too.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits...
bman2
Legend

1 month ago

Yeah the triumph of English nationalism will inevitably increase nationalist sentiment in Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. It sets off a chain reaction.
Robbo
Legend

1 month ago

bman2 wrote:
1 month ago
Yeah the triumph of English nationalism will inevitably increase nationalist sentiment in Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. It sets off a chain reaction.
English Nationalism for fucks sake, once long ago the UK as a whole was a force to be reckoned with around the world even going back as far as the second world war but this was the whole country not just England. Today I do worry for the country for the xenophobic idiots who feel that they are better than anyone else and doesn't this hark back to another country many years ago. Maybe a break up of the UK is needed to put many of the people in their place again especially politicians who with no real mandate decide what happens to the country who twist things to suit their purposes a good example being good old Nigel.F when Ursula Von Der Leyen became EU Commissioner with roughly the same difference as Leave had in the referendum this was classed as illegal by good old Nigel but with the referendum its democracy.

Having lived for years in Scotland yes there are many very nationalistic Scots who want nothing more than to be an independent country most are quite happy being British but are getting fed up that Westminster will take them out of the EU when the majority voted to stay.

Probably the best example of this so called English Nationalism is the towns and counties that have benefited from EU money rebuilding ports so that they are viable ertc. etc. then these people vote to leave, quite simply the mind boggles, despite being born and raised in the UK a part of me hopes that a no deal Brexit happens, that the country gets the kick up the arse that it badly needs and if it all goes tits up well thats democracy what you all voted for.
-----------------------------------------------------