Climate Crisis

Political Debate
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 23398
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

It's here and we're probably all fucked. Parts of capital are waking up to the fact we're fucked. The world bank and IMF reckon we have 20 years. The scientists say we have a lot less. Some even say we've already gone too far. The 6th mass extinction event is underway https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tists-warn

The future is so grim climate experts are seeking therapy https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbwp ... to-therapy because the majority of capital (aka big business) is carrying on as usual; pesticides, logging, mining, destroying habitats, pumping out emissions on a greater scale despite scientists explicitly saying capitalist exploitation has to end to save the planet https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... capitalism or else a climate apartheid will appear https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/06/1041261 even though tbf it has already has with 50 million + climate refugees, rich people moving away from coastal areas because of rising seas which is beginning to fuck the yank housing market etc.

It's so bad even liberals like George Monibot who campaigned for decades for bullshit like paper straws have radicalised and want to overthrow capitalism



For me the powers of repression (states, lobbying etc) are too strong, little is changing, the commitments states are making aren't enough, so we are fucked and now I'm waiting on climate terrorism to become a thing

So there you are. Thought I'd start this thread to see us out durnig the end days. I'll keep posting in this thread until my internet is under water which is happening more and more in hull as these "once in 100 year" tidal surges and floods are happening a couple of times every decade.
Last edited by Sid on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 5560
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

4 months ago

They've/we've been ignoring the problem for around 50 years, Sid.

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/files/200 ... ming75.pdf

The article in question starts to the bottom right of the second page of that pdf. First mention of "global warming" in the peer-reviewed scientific literature... 1975

This is not the first instance of scientists predicting climatic change... goes back into the 60s.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 23398
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

FuB wrote:
4 months ago
They've/we've been ignoring the problem for around 50 years, Sid.

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/files/200 ... ming75.pdf

The article in question starts to the bottom right of the second page of that pdf. First mention of "global warming" in the peer-reviewed scientific literature... 1975

This is not the first instance of scientists predicting climatic change... goes back into the 60s.
Great link. I thought this stuff went back to the 90s. Goes to show the power of capital and states that they've sat on this for 60 years in order to carrying on business as usual. Even now the cat is out the bag and we're living with the effects, nothing is changing.
User avatar
Pikey McScum
Star Man
Posts: 952
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

The current heatwave across Europe (44.3C in France today) isn't being directly linked to climate change, and yet (as a result of climate change) these events are likely to occur more frequently? :-?
"that is probably the worst post ive ever read" - Knobby, 28th April 2015
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 5560
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

4 months ago

Pikey McScum wrote:
4 months ago
The current heatwave across Europe (44.3C in France today) isn't being directly linked to climate change, and yet (as a result of climate change) these events are likely to occur more frequently? :-?
This sort of argument can be and is regularly used to try and deny there's anything happening at all. We're all familiar with the concept of a heatwave as we are with heavy rains and floods. The fact that the climate and weather patterns are such a unimaginably complex and not completely understood phenomenon leads even those with high understanding to have to say they're not 100% sure of anything... however, they'll nearly always add the fact that current trends and pretty much all available evidence suggests we've driven the climate into overload with our own actions and this isn't explainable by known historical cycles, etc. The problem then becomes that deniers will take a virtually analogous stance to fundamentalist religious twats: "you can't prove that this isn't a naturally occurring situation so I'm going to believe it's all ok"... and, despite the science is pretty mature now and there's a fairly broad consensus amongst scientists, we're seeing the same sort of kickback from selfish, conservative fundamentalists in that there's a very aggressive and public campaign to discredit the science and scientists.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 15863
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

Is there anybody on here who doubts we're fucked and that climate change isn't real???????? Because seriously..........?
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
User avatar
Lazarus
Legend
Posts: 15863
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

"So there you are. Thought I'd start this thread to see us out during the end days. I'll keep posting in this thread until my internet is under water which is happening more and more in hull as these "once in 100 year" tidal surges and floods are happening a couple of times every decade." - Sid


:))
"Respect! Respect! Respect Maan! Respect! Respect!........." [-X
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 23398
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

Lazarus wrote:
4 months ago
Is there anybody on here who doubts we're fucked and that climate change isn't real???????? Because seriously..........?
I know, even some right wingers are coming round to it now. But there's still the odd idiot, like Trump, who literally tweets shit like "how can global warming be real when I'm cold?"
User avatar
FuB
Legend
Posts: 5560
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Littlewoods Data Entry Department

4 months ago

Sid wrote:
4 months ago
Lazarus wrote:
4 months ago
Is there anybody on here who doubts we're fucked and that climate change isn't real???????? Because seriously..........?
I know, even some right wingers are coming round to it now. But there's still the odd idiot, like Trump, who literally tweets shit like "how can global warming be real when I'm cold?"
yeah, that was pretty much what I meant by selfish, conservative fundamentalists and an aggressive and public campaign to discredit the science

i'd be amazed if there really was anyone on here who thought it was all a sham but I suppose you never know. I don't think anyone who's still here would fit the category of person i'd expect to be such a bellend, really.

Whilst I completely agree that high power politicians, etc. need to be on board for us to ever have a hope of making any impact on what, I'm sorry to say, I think is well past solving I think it's got to a point where any positive action will make such small inroads and over such a long time that I think people will just become even more cynical about it than they already are. Let's be honest, we ALL know that we're fucking it up but people are still driving to the local shop or taking their little darlings to school in the car. People still light their whole fucking house up at Christmas because ooooh how lovely. People still do fuck all on a local scale and expect the government/whoever to be doing more to tackle the problem...just not them because, oh we haven't got time and we can hardly make any impact on our own, can we?
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
User avatar
Sid
Legend
Posts: 23398
Joined: 6 years ago

4 months ago

FuB wrote:
4 months ago
Sid wrote:
4 months ago
Lazarus wrote:
4 months ago
Is there anybody on here who doubts we're fucked and that climate change isn't real???????? Because seriously..........?
I know, even some right wingers are coming round to it now. But there's still the odd idiot, like Trump, who literally tweets shit like "how can global warming be real when I'm cold?"
yeah, that was pretty much what I meant by selfish, conservative fundamentalists and an aggressive and public campaign to discredit the science

i'd be amazed if there really was anyone on here who thought it was all a sham but I suppose you never know. I don't think anyone who's still here would fit the category of person i'd expect to be such a bellend, really.

Whilst I completely agree that high power politicians, etc. need to be on board for us to ever have a hope of making any impact on what, I'm sorry to say, I think is well past solving I think it's got to a point where any positive action will make such small inroads and over such a long time that I think people will just become even more cynical about it than they already are. Let's be honest, we ALL know that we're fucking it up but people are still driving to the local shop or taking their little darlings to school in the car. People still light their whole fucking house up at Christmas because ooooh how lovely. People still do fuck all on a local scale and expect the government/whoever to be doing more to tackle the problem...just not them because, oh we haven't got time and we can hardly make any impact on our own, can we?
The last paragraph - aye this attitude of 'well if china and the US don't do anything I don't have to' is bullshit. As individuals we still have a duty to fulfill. But it's a lot harder for working class people to make necessary changes though because of how capitalism is treating climate change / destruction of the planet. It's made it another consumerable. So biodegrable plastics cost more for companies to use, so they pass the cost on to the consumer to preserve profits, meaning products that use the better materials are more expensive thus pricing out poorer demographics. Similarly organic food that, in theory is free from pesticides / herbicides (although it's not, check the requirements necessary for organic status, it's bullshit), is more expensive. You can do your weekly shop without using plastic... but only if you can afford to shop at Waitrose because they're the only ones offering the service.

This is the most depressing thing; saving the planet is being sold as a lifestyle choice. But it's not possible to consume your way to saving the planet when consumption is key to the planets demise. But that's how capital is reacting.

But there are still things you can do. Like I've cut down my meat consumption massively, I take public transport because am fucking poor, and I don't go abroad again because am fucking poor, and I don't buy pointless tat or keep up with bullshit trends because I'm a tight cunt and also poor. So my footprint is/was a lot better than people with money who consume a lot, travel a lot and jet about a lot.

But also switching to a meat free diet is a bit bullshit. This is where anti capitalist analysis is vital. Basically consuming plants rather than meat is better for the environment (because animal farms take up more room etc) but... it's still industrialised farming on a monolithic scale, and farming is the number 1 destroyer of the planet, especially modern farming that relies on harmful pesticides and herbicides that decimate eco systems. Also obviously indigenous cultures that rely on meat consumption get a free pass or else they'd literally starve. There aren't no supermarkets with quorn sections in the jungles or ice sheets.
Post Reply