Salisbury Poisoning

Political Debate
Robbo
Legend

1 year ago

What are your thoughts on the poisoning in Salisbury of the russian Sergei Skripal.

Are Russia responsible
Does Vladimir Putin give a hoot what the UK thinks or does.

Discuss:
-----------------------------------------------------
Sid
Legend

1 year ago

In public they're playing a patriotic cold war esque game with Russia, and Russia are responding accordingly, but behind closed doors it's the same old https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... s-12009563
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

There's been so much anti-Russia and anti-Putin rhetoric for years now. It's all about how aggressive Russia is and it's hardly ever reported how NATO have been building troops up on the eastern front for quite some time. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 62391.html

It wouldn't surprise me if Russia had state sponsored this assassination attempt but it equally wouldn't surprise me if we'd (meaning NATO, etc.) done this to frame them. It's a fucking dirty game in a fucking dirty world.

A new cold war makes every sense to keep the masses in fear now IS have started to drop off the radar. Will stop us caring about the environment and big business arseraping us as well.
I may be able to fix a forum but I can't fix a fuckwit
Unitedroad
Reserves

1 year ago

We (UK) are threatening Russia by sending troops to Estonia wtf are we going to do? You have to laugh like the tent covering the bench where the spy and his daughter were supposedly found ,blowing in the wind sending the nerve agent all over Salisbury !

And if they wanted them bumped off why didn't they just shoot them or leave them hanging from a tree in the middle of some nearby field,that's never been done before.

What was this guy living on ? Money wise ....BMW and dining at Zizi in the afternoon ! If I was them though and they look like surviving I would hotfoot it out of there.

And if it's that serious surely you wouldn't be encouraging your country's athletes and supporters visiting the accused

Strong and stable though.
marlon
Legend

1 year ago

I really struggle to believe we did it ourselves. It's weird how quickly we've decided it's Russia, seemingly based entirely on who invented it(?). Also scary how easy it is for half the country and most of parliament to get absolutely rabid. Reminds me of that election question time special with Corbyn where the audience were demanding he nuke people
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

marlon wrote:I really struggle to believe we did it ourselves. It's weird how quickly we've decided it's Russia, seemingly based entirely on who invented it(?). Also scary how easy it is for half the country and most of parliament to get absolutely rabid. Reminds me of that election question time special with Corbyn where the audience were demanding he nuke people

Not so much suggesting "we did it ourselves" as suggesting it's just as likely to be a dirty trick from "our side". As you say, it's all too conveniently pointing at the Russians and when they say "show us some proof then" we respond by saying "time's up for explaining you pesky ruskies... have some more sanctions!"

I can imagine that, as a complex toxin, it's not easy to make unless you're geared up to make it, so may well be sourced from Russia. However, given there's been enough waffle about them not being able to control their own nuclear stocks, etc., it's just as easy for them to lose control of this sort of thing. Admittedly, I believe that question was asked of them in a "if you didn't do it, how come you let someone else?" sort of way.

It interests me that Porton Down were able to identify it so easily. Suggests to me that they either had a sample already, an ally has or either has had a sample in the past.
marlon
Legend

1 year ago

Says here the US decommissioned an abandoned research lab in Uzbekistan so it's possible we have it although I have a hard time believing a deadly nerve agent was left lying around for a decade. If every soviet country had some I guess it's more likely we got some before then.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/worl ... oning.html

What we know about it (publically) came from this guy:
http://www.compoundchem.com/2018/03/12/novichok/
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

The interesting thing there is saying that it's supposedly 10x more potent than VX yet VX is likely fatal at 10mg. So they needed 2mg of Novichok to kill them yet they've been recovering samples from zizzi. I can sort of understand chucking more than you need at a target but why go to town and leave recoverable evidence when you didn't need to?
Robbo
Legend

1 year ago

This is a complex one and as to whether the Russians did it or not that will be discussed for a long time to come, what I cant believe is that we did it ourselves because for all intents and purposes the British Goverment are Imbeciles one and all.

Whether NATO or a group of other countries have used this to stich Russia up is possible if only to destabilize Russia and especially Putin.
-----------------------------------------------------
FuB
Legend

1 year ago

I don't know so much whether the motive would be to destabilise more than vilify even more. Like I say, it's the classic 1984 scenario of the masses needing a bad guy to stop them thinking about the one "on their side".